Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: what's up Bengals peeps!? Draft season has arrived...

I am a proponent of BPA, however, it needs to be supplemented with a strategic free agent plan, good coaching and maximized use of the cap system. Given that we don't really do the last few well or at all, I would prefer if we picked more players that can have an immediate impact - less projects, no injured players. At 9, I would prefer to go with Foster or Reddick as i see LB as a huge need area as well. Both could play from day 1 if ML lets them, cut Rey M (PLEASE!!!!) and move forward with that group.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I would prefer if we picked more players that can have an immediate impact - less projects, no injured players. At 9, I would prefer to go with Foster
    Foster is injuried and concussed after only one year as starter ...

Bengals met privately with Ohio State linebacker Raekwon McMillan

“We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I agree completely ... just a question, with same grade: it's better a LB or a DE?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    I agree completely ... just a question, with same grade: it's better a LB or a DE?
    I'd have to go with defensive end. In the NFL, you have to get to the quarterback. DE is a three-down player whereas linebackers vary. Very rare these days to find an all-out disruptive linebacker that does everything and stays on the field for all three downs. I want to say if the grade is 'super-elite' and cannot miss, you still stick with defensive end. Look at what Reggie White did for teams.

I think LB is out at 9 now....best playmaker available regardless of position has to be the goal.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    I think LB is out at 9 now....best playmaker available regardless of position has to be the goal.
    I was thinking in the second round but we have Kevin Minter in the squad now ...

The Panthers and Bengals offensive line coaches spent a lot of time with Taylor Moton at his pro day. - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com

Both teams have obvious needs for tackles, and Moton is sixth in our 2017 NFL Draft Offensive Tackle Prospect Rankings. -Walter

aylor Moton, OT/G, Western Michigan
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 330. Arm: 33.13. Hand: 10.75.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.00.
    Projected Round (2017): 3-4.
    3/2/17: Moton was a solid offensive lineman for the Broncos the past few seasons and turned in a quality senior year at right tackle. Western Michigan has had a superb offense with a dynamic aerial attack for a few years, and Moton's pass protection contributed to that. Moton played right tackle as a sophomore before moving to right guard as a junior.

Moton played well at the Senior Bowl. He is tough at the point of attack with strength in the ground game. For the NFL, Moton has versatile size and could be a player who is a valuable competitor at guard or tackle early in his NFL career. Right guard or right tackle could be his best position in the long term.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017O...8pwSL5K0D1o.99

Moton is supposedly getting a lot of love right now from quite a few teams, curious to see where he ends up grading out at.....I always thought he'd go in R3 but the second round now might be a real possibility.

Moton is supposedly getting a lot of love right now from quite a few teams, curious to see where he ends up grading out at.....I always thought he'd go in R3 but the second round now might be a real possibility.
    the beauty is in the eye of the beholder

the beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Unfortunately, Paul Alexander is the beholder in our teams case.

Unfortunately, Paul Alexander is the beholder in our teams case.

TJ Snedden @TjSnedden
    @NDTScouting How could Derek Barnett be a top 5 pick right after the season, and now fall in the 20's? Are people over thinking him?

Kyle Crabbs‏ @NDTScouting
    Not in my opinion. Think people saw production and splash plays but didn't do their full HW on his strengths/weaknesses. 20's is good value

Moton climbing due to the low number of RT prospects. I looked at some of his games in Feb and he looked slow. Then he put up good numbers at the combine. I think he's a good RG prospect with RT possibility. Someone may reach but I see low round 2.

With Barnett, I think its foolish to ignore production. He ran a little slow at the combine; my guess he run faster at his pro day on the 31st and will start creeping up again.

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    Moton climbing due to the low number of RT prospects. I looked at some of his games in Feb and he looked slow. Then he put up good numbers at the combine. I think he's a good RG prospect with RT possibility. Someone may reach but I see low round 2.

With Barnett, I think its foolish to ignore production. He ran a little slow at the combine; my guess he run faster at his pro day on the 31st and will start creeping up again.
    I looked at some of Moton's tape too and came to exactly the same conclusion you did. Heavy footed, and that was even at a lower level of competition. Powerful dude though.

I've watched even more of Barnett, and came to the opposite conclusion. Granted, he got double teamed a lot and teams often ran away from him, but he doesn't do anything special. A few highlight plays that were fluky, like tipping a pass to himself for an INT, but you can't project those kind of things. He might just be a guy who developed physically at a really young age and thus dominated other amateur athletes, but doesn't have much more room for development. Shortish arms, not real big or fast. Definitely not twitchy.

I think any pass rusher in this draft that isn't named Garrett, Allen or Thomas would be a pretty big reach at 9....guys like a Taco Charlton, Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, Tak McKinley are all gonna grade out pretty similarly and they're all fringe top 20 prospects at best, IMO.

I really believe the Bengals are thinking best playmaker available when they get on the clock which mean guys like Hooker, Adams, Howard, Ross, Williams, Davis, Cook, McCaffrey, and I guess you'd even have to throw Jabril Peppers in there as well (even though I can't stand him).

The trick for us in terms of projecting the pick (and other picks) is to try and predict which players the Bengals feel are a good fit for their system. So, someone could be #20 on one teams board but #10 on another teams board.

The trick for us in terms of projecting the pick (and other picks) is to try and predict which players the Bengals feel are a good fit for their system. So, someone could be #20 on one teams board but #10 on another teams board.
    well that's the trick for any fanbase isn't it?

that being said, as the process plays itself out you can get a pretty good feel as to what range most of these guys will fall in and the feeling I'm getting when I really dig into it is that teams don't view Taco Charlton and Derek Barnett as top 10 picks, which pretty much lumps them in with guys like McKinley and Harris......the Bengals are always about the BPA in regards to the draft and as I look at this class, I don't see any way possible that one of those pass rushers will be the best player on the board.....there's just too much skill position (WR/RB/TE/CB) talent that's going to be sitting there to reach for one of those pass rushers, IMO.

well that's the trick for any fanbase isn't it?

that being said, as the process plays itself out you can get a pretty good feel as to what range most of these guys will fall in and the feeling I'm getting when I really dig into it is that teams don't view Taco Charlton and Derek Barnett as top 10 picks, which pretty much lumps them in with guys like McKinley and Harris......the Bengals are always about the BPA in regards to the draft and as I look at this class, I don't see any way possible that one of those pass rushers will be the best player on the board.....there's just too much skill position (WR/RB/TE/CB) talent that's going to be sitting there to reach for one of those pass rushers, IMO.
    Most fan bases just rank players in general skill terms and do not rank them in terms of 'fit'. This becomes more prominent after round 1 when there is far more separation on teams boards. I could see the Bengals ranking Barnett, for example, as a top 10 player IF he fits there desire for those tall leaner DE's. But I do not believe he fits that 'mold' that they like.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ith-top15-pick

Time for rumor season to start up..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ith-top15-pick

Time for rumor season to start up..
    wouldn't surprise me at all if it were the Bengals, after they had to sit and watch that Pacman outburst.

wouldn't surprise me at all if it were the Bengals, after they had to sit and watch that Pacman outburst.
    True enough. We have had our fill of those types that is for sure. Bad enough we would consider Mixon in round 2 - great value but the backlash is not worth it.

True enough. We have had our fill of those types that is for sure. Bad enough we would consider Mixon in round 2 - great value but the backlash is not worth it.
    I agree. I recognize his talent but I just don't want Mixon. Plenty of RBs in this draft to choose from.

As to whether we were the team that said those things about Foster, I somewhat doubt it. I think we're pretty good about not leaking things to the media. Part of the "family atmosphere" of the Bengals organization. But also, if we did it was more likely intentional to ensure that Foster drops to us. And since I don't think we're going to take him, I don't think it was us at all.

On the subject of taking a Wr and/or Rb high in the draft, I could see one or the other but not both. I think our biggest problem last year was getting pushed around on both sides of the line of scrimmage. And we lost our two best OL. I think it's far more important to fortify the lines of scrimmage. Taking a WR in round 1 and a RB in round 2 is a recipe for getting pushed around again.

Yes I get the best player available idea, but it's a matter of interpretation. It's really "of the players who would justify this pick, which one fills the biggest need" strategy. BPA means don't reach outside that group of players who justify that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Yes I get the best player available idea, but it's a matter of interpretation. It's really "of the players who would justify this pick, which one fills the biggest need" strategy. BPA means don't reach outside that group of players who justify that pick.
    Just to add, the further you go down the draft board list, the closer the evaluations are so need plays more of a part. I would think at the top of the board the picture is far clearer, that is, there is more separation between players.

Mixon might be the Zeke Elliot of this draft. I'd take him. Could care less about what he did epsecially in light he most likely was provoked and he learned from it. So sick of the NFL getting their panties in a wad to placate feminists.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Mixon might be the Zeke Elliot of this draft. I'd take him. Could care less about what he did epsecially in light he most likely was provoked and he learned from it. So sick of the NFL getting their panties in a wad to placate feminists.
    Not as tired as some of us are with backwards thinking uneducated rednecks.

I know I'm a Noter Dame homer, but I want to throw a name out there that would be a great round 3 or later pick that would help fill some holes on the Dline. Isaac Rochell. He's 6'4" and 280+ pounds. He can play the DE on first and second down as part of a rotation and can kick inside to play DT on passing downs. Just don't expect him to do pass coverage like Guenther likes to have Dunlap and MJ to do on occasions for some stupid fu cking reasons. The Bengals will need to not only fill the need for a pass rush, but they have to fill in Hunt and Gilberry's roster spot.

WTF?? Placate feminists? screw you asshole. What if some man punched your wife or daughter in the face would you just tell them to suck it up and behave like good bitches should? What an asshole. You've always been pretty fringe and let's face it, stupid as shit but you've flipped your lid. I am tired of placated dumbasses like you that need male privilege to justify your measly existence. #### off.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

well that escalated quickly lol

SC, please don't close my thread

Mixon isn't a world-beater. If it weren't for a 263 yard game against Baylor, his stats wouldn't be that great. Go look at what he did in Oklahoma's two losses, not much. He also has other off-field incidents besides the big one. This is a guy who does not get it and he won't get it and it won't work in the NFL because he's not that special in the pro realm. He'll just be another guy in the NFL.

6'0 at 228 lbs. and he only bench presses 225 lbs. x 21 times. I weigh less than he does and my best 225 lbs. AMRAP is 17 reps. In interviews, he doesn't take responsibility for his actions. Everyone makes poor decisions. The difference between a mistake though is that people who tend to make a mistake do it only one time. This guy is a clown, he did well against average teams in colleges and was a no-show for the games that mattered.

Pass......yawn.

Wow! I am totally embarrassed for you. F##king moron!!

I think the people that are in the pro-RB camp are sleeping on Christian McCaffrey.....if we could trade down just a little bit I'd target him in a heartbeat, kid's going to be a world class weapon for somebody.

I'd take him over Dalvin Cook all day long and Cook is being projected by a lot of people to Carolina at 8.....just sayin.

I think the people that are in the pro-RB camp are sleeping on Christian McCaffrey.....if we could trade down just a little bit I'd target him in a heartbeat, kid's going to be a world class weapon for somebody.

I'd take him over Dalvin Cook all day long and Cook is being projected by a lot of people to Carolina at 8.....just sayin.
    No way....... he is not a work horse back. The Bengals do not need two Gio's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    No way....... he is not a work horse back. The Bengals do not need two Gio's.
    he does NOT have to be a workhorse back, you can get that guy in the 4th round in this draft.....what you can't get though is anyone even close to being the kind of difference maker that McCaffrey is going to be.

any combination of 20 touches a game (catches/carries/returns) for that kid and he's gonna put up huge numbers.

and who knows if Gio will ever be the same? either way he's not even close to being the same caliber of athlete that McCaffrey is.

I'd take McCaffrey in the 1st on a trade down and then take Jon Conner in the 4th and call it a day.....then kick both Hill and Gio to the curb, we'd improve that position by leaps and bounds.

he does NOT have to be a workhorse back, you can get that guy in the 4th round in this draft.....what you can't get though is anyone even close to being the kind of difference maker that McCaffrey is going to be.

any combination of 20 touches a game (catches/carries/returns) for that kid and he's gonna put up huge numbers.

and who knows if Gio will ever be the same? either way he's not even close to being the same caliber of athlete that McCaffrey is.

I'd take McCaffrey in the 1st on a trade down and then take Jon Conner in the 4th and call it a day.....then kick both Hill and Gio to the curb, we'd improve that position by leaps and bounds.
    Did you see Connor's 40 time? And do you know how often cancer comes back in people? I hate to sound like a dick, and as good a story as Connor's is, but I wouldn't draft him period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Did you see Connor's 40 time?
    yeah it was about the same as Rudi Johnsons......we're talking about a move the chains bell cow, not a sprinter turned RB.

And do you know how often cancer comes back in people? I hate to sound like a dick, and as good a story as Connor's is, but I wouldn't draft him period.
    tell that to the Chiefs and Eric Berry.

yeah it was about the same as Rudi Johnsons......we're talking about a move the chains bell cow, not a sprinter turned RB.

tell that to the Chiefs and Eric Berry.
    What do you want me to tell them? Berry is on the back end of his career... he might have 3 good years left, Connor is just getting started.

My top five RB:

1 Fournette
    2 McCaffrey
    3 Cook
    4 Mixon
    5 Kamara

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...7-rb-prospects

uh ... and here we go with another feel good story "Just too many red flags for me. Getting kicked out of UConn for theft was strike one, but then you have his fumbles and his 'retirement'. I just don't want that hassle. Too many players to choose from." (Joe 4.41 Williams, RB Utah)

You don't have to be a feminist to think punching a woman in the face is wrong. Nobody is entitled to an NFL career, but women are entitled to not getting punched in the face, and no, there's no such thing as that kind of brutality being "provoked". Your very comment is why feminists are right.