Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    not just that...Minter spells the end of Rey Maualuga in Cincinnati
    Spicoli, you know the Bengals front office too well ... so don't bet on that

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Anyone consider the possibility we trade out of #9? I'd be perfectly fine with going all the way down into the 20s, get a #1 next year and draft Cam Robinson.
    1st round between picks is only 10 minutes. Mikey had trouble making a move when it was 15 minutes. He always asks for too much
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

You know this? How?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

It has been mentioned on the draft broadcasts many times.

Broad Brush Strokes for $100, Alex.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Several years ago on one of the draft broadcasts they had a high level football guy on air, may have been Parcells, and the Bengal pick was coming up and the commentator asked if the Bengals would consider trading the pick. And the guy just started chuckling and went on to explain how difficult it is do a trade with Brown. To the point of most don't even bother. It was quite comical. Pretty sure it was Parcells because he was referencing being in the Cowboys war room.

Got it.

Wallace Gilberry is resigning.

I like him but hope he gets cut. If the youth on the roster can't push a perennial backup off of the roster of an under performing D-line, we may be looking at some lean years on the D-line coming real soon.
    Only users lose drugs

Just an FYI on our 'cash strapped team":

When the Rams and Chargers moved, the other 31 owners pocketed nearly $21 million in relocation fees off each franchise. On Monday, Raiders owner Mark Davis became indebted about $11 million to each owner to swap Oakland for Las Vegas. Local revenue projections from new stadiums make such payments worthwhile.

So? What part of salary cap vs financial balance sheets not being equal, is not understandable? Apple meet orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    So? What part of salary cap vs financial balance sheets not being equal, is not understandable? Apple meet orange.
    For a franchise that EVERY year spends under the cap and yet takes monies from franchise moves and pockets them - it speaks to the owner's commitment to the balance sheet over winning.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Just an FYI on our 'cash strapped team":

When the Rams and Chargers moved, the other 31 owners pocketed nearly $21 million in relocation fees off each franchise. On Monday, Raiders owner Mark Davis became indebted about $11 million to each owner to swap Oakland for Las Vegas. Local revenue projections from new stadiums make such payments worthwhile.
    So each owner received a little over 1 million each for Rams and Chargers and another 300,000 from Oakland. Each owner did not receive 53 mil.

For a franchise that EVERY year spends under the cap and yet takes monies from franchise moves and pockets them - it speaks to the owner's commitment to the balance sheet over winning.
    The fee is there to help curb teams from moving. Moves may cost other teams money if attendance is down from the moves. LA had low attendance when Rams were there before. To me LA isn't a football town anymore. Raiders left, Rams left and now Rams are back with Chargers. Who do you think fans will follow in LA. Chargers or Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    The fee is there to help curb teams from moving. Moves may cost other teams money if attendance is down from the moves. LA had low attendance when Rams were there before. To me LA isn't a football town anymore. Raiders left, Rams left and now Rams are back with Chargers. Who do you think fans will follow in LA. Chargers or Rams?
    I would think most Chargers fans would remain loyal. LA is close enough to still go to a game once in awhile...it's about a 3-hour drive (17 hours with LA traffic). The Chargers have been a consistently better team over the last 10 years (though they've been pretty bad the last couple of years). Notwithstanding the SuperBowl seasons in St. Louis, the Rams have pretty much been the NFL equivalent of the Clippers. There was a Married...With Children episode back in the early '90s in which Al Bundy says "This is an important game for the Bears. They are playing the Rams this week and if you lose to the Rams, you get thrown out of the league."

Now factor in Las Vegas a few years from now...and it draws even more of a division.

According to Mike Brown, Adam Jones isn't getting cut anytime soon. Sorry I can't post the link to the article, but during his annual NFL media day, he said everyone makes a mistake and should be given a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    According to Mike Brown, Adam Jones isn't getting cut anytime soon. Sorry I can't post the link to the article, but during his annual NFL media day, he said everyone makes a mistake and should be given a chance.
    LOL..Jones has had like 10 chances, he is still an idiot. Unreal that we wont outright cut him.

LOL..Jones has had like 10 chances, he is still an idiot. Unreal that we wont outright cut him.
    Couldn't agree more. Not to mention he had a huge drop in performance last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    According to Mike Brown, Adam Jones isn't getting cut anytime soon. Sorry I can't post the link to the article, but during his annual NFL media day, he said everyone makes a mistake and should be given 14 chances.
    Fixed that.

This gif made me think of life as a Bengals fan.
    One of these is Marvin Lewis.
    One of these is Mike Brown.
    One of these is the fan.
    Only users lose drugs

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_hungover View Post
    this gif made me think of life as a bengals fan.
    One of these is marvin lewis.
    One of these is mike brown.
    One of these is the fan.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Bengals traded AJ McCarron to the Jets for their 2nd round pick this year and a 2nd round pick next year.

Dion Jordan anyone? Miami cut him. We need pass rushers and since he is simply a free agent now, we won't have to deal with the dreaded threat to our compensatory picks next year. I'd take a flier on him.

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Bengals traded AJ McCarron to the Jets for their 2nd round pick this year and a 2nd round pick next year.
    April fools right?
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Former Bengal Chad Johnson now playing . . . in Mexico?
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/chad...deo-highlights
    Only users lose drugs

Of interest:

At a time when teams across the NFL are showing little to no interest in most of the big-name running backs available in free agency, the Patriots have signed two running backs. And in doing so, they’ve shown they’re at the forefront of the analytics movement, even if they don’t like to say so.

Today the Patriots signed restricted free agent running back Mike Gillislee to an offer sheet that they hope the Bills won’t match, and previously the Patriots signed running back Rex Burkhead away from the Bengals. What do Gillislee and Burkhead have in common? The average fan may not know a lot about them, but the analytics people love them.

Analytics website FootballOutsiders.com ranked Gillislee as the most efficient running back in the NFL last year, and Burkhead as No. 2. Analytics website NumberFire also had Gillislee first and Burkhead second. Analyst Warren Sharp’s metrics had Gillislee first and Burkhead second in success rate, and Burkhead first and Gillislee second in the fewest “missed yards per attempt,” or how close they came to being successful on the plays that weren’t quite good enough to quality as successful.

The various analytics websites have slight differences in the way they rate players, but they all tend to support the same traits in a running back, namely consistently helping the team pick up first downs. Both Gillislee and Burkhead were excellent at picking up first downs last season, gaining first downs more than 30 percent of the time. Meanwhile, for all the focus on LeGarrette Blount and his 18 touchdowns last year, Blount picked up first downs on just 22.4 percent of his carries. The analytics models say Blount was actually a mediocre running back last year, and that may explain why the Patriots are willing to let Blount walk and turn their attention to Gillislee and Burkhead.

Unlike the Browns, who are open about the fact that they’re building their team with an analytics approach, the Patriots keep quiet about their belief in analytics. We noted last year that Bill Belichick was dismissive about analytics websites, saying he doesn’t look at them. And he probably doesn’t, because he doesn’t need to: He has staffers who stay on top of the latest in analytics, and those staffers do read those websites. One of Belichick’s most trusted advisors is Ernie Adams, the Patriots’ football research director, who was a municipal bonds trader before he worked for Belichick, first in Cleveland and then in New England. Many of the methods that sports statistical analysts use are rooted in the same methods used to analyze economic data. Adams understands both, and that makes him valuable to Belichick.

The interest in analytics goes to the very top of the Patriots’ organization. The Patriots’ official website wrote last year that “You may not find a bigger believer in data and analytics than New England Patriots Owner Robert Kraft.”

As the Browns struggled through their first rebuilding season under the new analytics-based regime last season, some observers scoffed that the Moneyball approach wouldn’t work in the NFL. And maybe it won’t work in Cleveland. But it’s working in New England, whether the Patriots say so publicly or not.

While I agree with analytics to a point I would like to point out that Burkhead and Gillislee haven't worked out yet so I disagree with the last sentence. He's written an article, basing all of their success in FA evaluation, on two signings that haven't even stepped on the field as a Patriot. All that's "working in New England" so far is the agent's compensation.

God, do I hate the off-season.
    Only users lose drugs

Meh

Nothing wrong with what he said. An off camera comment tweeted by a reporter during the off-season. It's not his fault that Marvin Lewis made him play so many snaps, thus exposing his inability to penetrate the line of scrimmage.

I said when he was drafted after years of shit DL play, "He's a starter on a shitty defense or a backup on a good one". Remember, Sam Adams was the best DT Cincy had for over a decade, then they got Peko. They just kept shoring up the rest of the roster without ever pushing him until last year. If Billings doesn't get hurt, he may have been a camp cut or trade bait at the end of pre-season.
    Only users lose drugs

I'd say it's 50:50 that Peko doesn't even make the Denver roster this yr. It sure isn't a given

Good luck on that championship there, Mr. Peko. No QB, offensive line deteriorating, overall offense flatlining. A still great defense and a nothing division probably still means playoffs for them, but not far into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Good luck on that championship there, Mr. Peko. No QB, offensive line deteriorating, overall offense flatlining. A still great defense and a nothing division probably still means playoffs for them, but not far into it.
    Denver is going to be playing for a Wild Card. No way they beat out the Raiders.

Or KC for that matter.

...or the homeless Chargers, who have given Rivers an O-Line for the first time in his career and easily the best and most Offensive weapons in his career. They may have the 2017 Defensive Player-of-the-Year in Bosa.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Very dumb move by the Browns. Grigson is stupid. They just took one step backwards with this move. It's identical to the REDS' idiotic move of hiring Bavasi.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

I am not surprised to read an article like this about Jones or Sanu. I think this current crop of young and unproven WRs have already surpassed them and their abilities.
    In his first season in Detroit, Marvin Jones went in like a Lion, but out like a lamb. He's looking to change that in 2017.

"I flushed it really after the playoff game," Jones told the Detroit Free-Press of his uneven debut with the Lions. "After the playoff game I said, 'It's over.'

Why was Jones so quick to forget the 2016 campaign, one that ended in a Lions playoff appearance? How he finished.

The wideout came over from Cincinnati in the offseason on a five-year contract and started 2016 strong, tallying 408 receiving yards in his first three games, including a 205-yard outing against the rival Packers at Lambeau. However, in Detroit's remaining 13 games, Jones compiled only 522 yards and saw his targets decrease.

"Obviously I was pretty disappointed in everything that happened," Jones admitted. "But what can I say? All I can do is prepare and I know what I can do. Everybody sees what I can do and you'll see it for a long time."
    rest of the article:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...g-finish-in-17

I've seen what he can do and have never been impressed. My stance that it was just AJ Green and a bunch of #4s from 2011-2015 will never change. Boyd is already above them as a legit #3 and LaFell played damn good but in reality is only a #4 or a #5 on a good team. Core is a solid #4 or #5. Now add Ross in as a #2(possible Co-#1?) and Malone pushing Core and maybe Erickson with Wilson possibly applying pressure to Erickson's role as returner. If our young o-line can hold up, this will be the most explosive offense in the Dalton-Green era and the "huge losses" Cincy had last off-season will be overcome and surpassed in 14 months. Dalton should shred defenses if he is protected.

And just for the hell of it, here's a linesman totally eye banging Katarina Witt at yesterdays German Cup Final
    Only users lose drugs

LBer David Harris was released by the Jets. He's older, but he could be a good pick up to at least try in camp. I'm just not confident with PJ Dawson anymore, and I just don't see Flowers ever really contributing other than on Special Teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    This gif made me think of life as a Bengals fan.
    One of these is Marvin Lewis.
    One of these is Mike Brown.
    One of these is the fan.
    That guy on the right from that America's Funniest Video clip was a close friend of mine from College back in '78-'79. We worked out together at the same gym in the mornings. That video was from the '80's when he was working for an aviation company that did regular reconnaisance for the CIA. He was actually an excellent pilot. He could have caught some turbulence there, but I'm pretty sure he did that on purpose for the camera. We had several trips together. We'd leave rainy and cloudy Portland (Troutdale Airport, actually), and be in beautiful and sunny Sun River in 60 minutes (1.1 hrs coming back into the Southeasterly Wind and back in rainy and cloudy Portland. ) One trip to San Francisco was the first week of June when they had record 100-degree days. It took 3 hrs to fly South, but a half hour to circle SFX in order to get a chance to land. When you're coming in at 80-100 mph (preferably 85), but the 707's are coming in at 160-180, they're on your ass quickly and you don't have a lot of time to land.

He (Roger) inspired me to give my son flying lessons for two years when he was 12 and 13. It's quite an experience for a young person, if they are responsible. I stopped the lessons at 14 when I caught him smoking pot, as I said I would do. Flying and drugs don't mix.
    Last edited by BlazerBenner; 06-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    LBer David Harris was released by the Jets. He's older, but he could be a good pick up to at least try in camp. I'm just not confident with PJ Dawson anymore, and I just don't see Flowers ever really contributing other than on Special Teams.
    Could get him cheap and he's still good. Of course, Richardson could be had for a 4th or 5th Rd pick now. We should jump all over that.