Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

We need a thread for this.

Sandwedge noted a re-signing of LaFell in another thread.

That is a good thing. And whatnot.

Keep it coming, folks.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

They seriously overpaid for lafell. $5M a year? Geez, use the money for Zietler. More personnel mismanagement
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Guess I am missing the part about retaining a solid #2 WR, who had a very good 2016, for market price.

Zeitler is gone...and always has been. Only idiots like Jacksonville are going to pay a guard $12 million.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Guess I am missing the part about retaining a solid #2 WR, who had a very good 2016, for market price.

Zeitler is gone...and always has been. Only idiots like Jacksonville are going to pay a guard $12 million.
    You mean idiots like the Steelers that pay their best OL $10M per year?

I don't see Lafell as a very good second receiver. We were willing to pay $8M for Marvin Jones, so go out and find a better one. The Lafell signing is the same as the signing of Rey M - overpaid to re-sign a 'comfortable' below average player. Yawn, same old Bengals.

The Bengals were optimistic they could re-sign offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. But they won’t.

Whitworth plans to sign with the Rams today on a three-year deal worth a total of $36 million with $15 million guaranteed and $13 million coming in the first year of the contract.

That puts Whitworth on one of the worst offenses in the league — unless he can be part of a turnaround effort led by new head coach Sean McVay. The 35-year-old Whitworth has started all 16 games the last three years, and he’s a well-respected veteran who was a team captain. His absence will be a loss in Cincinnati.

More playoff wins for Whit..lol..great player for us, good luck to him

If we lose Whit and Zeitler, well, that would be the two best OL from an already weak line.

Need to use this board to vent a little here.

Whit has every right to sign where he wants. But what happened to wanting to win a championship? Not happening in the next 3 years in LA. What happened to "i'll never wear another uniform"?

And on the Bengals side, the way this could've been prevented would be to not play Ogbuehi at RT while he was getting his ass handed to him all year. Same thing with Bodine. And rotating offensive linemen was always ridiculous. It's like rotating QBs. I think that just signalled to Whit that we weren't serious about winning in the present, that we're so focused on the future we don't take care of the here and now. But then again, he just signed with the sad-sack rams, so what do I know.

Zeitler will see this and not even consider re-signing. And the OL. is. screwed.

Cue the "Ogbuehi will be fine when he gets stronger" narrative from Hobson. Baloney. He's a bust. Or the "but hey, we'll get a third round comp pick in 2018" narrative, while Andy gets lit up all year in 2017.

DEEP BREATH.

Come to think of it, I'll bet anything Whit gave the Bengals a chance to match and they said no. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Come to think of it, I'll bet anything Whit gave the Bengals a chance to match and they said no. Idiots.
    I am not sure Whit is worth a 3 year deal, a lot of risk there due to age. But letting Zeitler as well will hurt badly.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I am not sure Whit is worth a 3 year deal, a lot of risk there due to age. But letting Zeitler as well will hurt badly.
    Not going to dog on Whit, it is what it is. Hopefully that opens the door to resigning Z, with the money we saved. Although we could have saved more money by cutting Jones and hopefully Maulaluga.

That's a good point. Do you think the Bengals should have matched? As much as I love Whit, I'd say no. I figured someone would overpay and that's exactly what happened. I'm happy for Whit that he gets a huge payday but it does screw us. The reason we're screwed is because the linemen we drafted highly have not worked out particularly well. The team did anticipate this. It's a salary cap league. We all knew this day was coming. In this league if you miss out on your draft picks then you need to compensate with a few FAs.

they offered him $11mil...that means he took one extra mil to run off and play on a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's there under contract.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

We suck again. Welcome to being the Bungles once more. How freaking incompetent can they be? No use of any tag to keep someone. So sick of the excuses. Door just slammed shut. Ced O is a huge bust. Never should have been drafted. So pissed. No way Hobson can spin this in a positive light. Only hope we have is to over pay and keep Zeitler. I hate when we tender to shitty players like Johnson and resign marginal WRs yet sit on our asses and let 2 of our best players leave. Didn't the learn a fycking lesson from last year when Jones and Sanu left? Glad I gave up my season tickets.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Glad I gave up my season tickets.
    so are they
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

If he wants to make a million more, and go play for a crap team in an ancient overused dump in the suburbs of South Central, then what can you say? It speaks more for his desire to have that extra guaranteed year 2 than it does about loyalty or desire to "compete for a Super Bowl". This is the low down dirty fact of unrestricted free agency--nothing is ever what it seems. I won't say anything good or bad about his decision--he made it. He'll live with it (and pretty damn comfortably too I would reckon).

Lol...and now Zeitler goes to Cleveland and becomes the highest paid G in league history.

gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Lol...and now Zeitler goes to Cleveland and becomes the highest paid G in league history.

gotta love it!
    We will 'Go with what we have'. Luckily, we all have unwavering confidence in our OL coach to coach up the young guys.

Well I'm guessing that the Bengals get 2 3rd round compensatory picks next year.

Well....

Dalton better buy some larger sums of health insurance.

In all honesty what this means is, the Bengals need to quit letting guys get into the final years of their contracts. They need to make sure they make reasonable offers for contract extensions when a guy still has a year to go. That's the only way they are going to be able to keep good players and not lose them to huge contracts like they did with Zeitler.

Kirkpatrick signed back for FIVE years btw.

The Dre signing should be offset partially with cutting Pacman.

I agree on the 'not letting guys get to the final year'. For so many years we ignored the OL, when we finally started to build some depth we let the best young one go. Frankly, we should have let Boling go and signed Zeitler last year instead. Poorly managed that situation. The Whit loss i can live with simply because of his age, we are going to find out toot sweet if Ced can play or not.

What a strange deal the Browns made with the Texans for Brock Osweiller

The Dre signing should be offset partially with cutting Pacman.
    oh that contract for Kirk is the end of Pacman for sure....it might not happen until June 1st cuts, but he's a goner.

probably kiss Rey M goodbye on June 1st as well because I guarantee they're going to be drafting a LB in the first 2 rounds.

Did you know Mantei T'eo is a free agent? Wow how time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    Well I'm guessing that the Bengals get 2 3rd round compensatory picks next year.
    Not for Whitworth. Some weird rule about teams not getting higher than a 5 for 10-year+ veterans leaving. Has some name for it, but I am too lazy to look it up.

stole this from a friend, I think he makes some excellent points...

You'll hear people say that if you draft well, it's tough to keep everyone when they hit FA. Some will dispute that, but the Bengals 2012 draft class is a pretty good example of why drafting well makes it tough to keep all your guys#guys when they hit FA.#

Here's our notable picks from the 2012 draft and how much money they're making per year:

1st- Dre Kirkpatrick ($10M?)

1st- Kevin Zeitler ($12M)

3rd- Mohamed Sanu ($6.5M)

5th- Marvin Jones ($8M)

5th- George Iloka ($6M)

Undrafted- Vontaze Burfict ($6M, soon to be $10M+)

As of today, those guys are making over $50M combined. It will likely go up to closer to $55M later this summer when Burfict gets his big money extension.

Also worth noting the 2011 draft class right before this one are making over $36M combined and Bengals were able to keep them all.

1st-AJ Green ($15M)

2nd- Andy Dalton ($16M)

4th- Clint Boling ($5M)

When you string together good drafts like the Bengals did back in the 2009-2013 range, you can't afford to shell out $30-50M every offseason for 2nd and 3rd contracts when those guys hit FA.

they offered him $11mil...that means he took one extra mil to run off and play on a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's there under contract.
    Or he could have taken $1M less to stay and play for a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's here under contract. Also, it isn't 20 degrees in December in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Did you know Mantei T'eo is a free agent? Wow how time flies.
    Hard to believe it has been 5 years since his girlfriend died.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    Or he could have taken $1M less to stay and play for a team that has no shot at winning anything while he's here under contract. Also, it isn't 20 degrees in December in LA.

Hard to believe it has been 5 years since his girlfriend died.
    Yeah that's fine, I'm cool with it

Zeitler........wasn't worth the highest contract for a guard. Zeitler is above-average. He's not Hall-of-Fame talent though. Good work ethic, DeCastro in Pittsburgh seems to be better based on my perception. I could be wrong. Good luck playing for sucky Cleveland. I've never seen a team have one guard rally the team to a Super Bowl.

Whitworth......what a loser. He signed with the Rams because he's still ticked off about the Bengals drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher. Great player, but it seems he's chasing a pay-day. He could have signed with the Patriots, Steelers, or other contenders in search of a championship. He'll play with a terrible Rams team and probably be let go before he sees any of that money.

The next two free agents we have are Burfict and Eifert. In my opinion, Burfict isn't worth the headache and should be thrown to the curb like Pac Man jones. Eifert is Mr. Glass and should receive a HUGE paycheck based on incentives. If anything, I'd trade him now to get some picks.

The Browns traded for Osweiler. The Texans receive salary cap relief. The Browns get a second-round pick and the opportunity to trade Osweiler to another team at a reduced salary. It's a weird win-win-win situation. The Browns will either trade or cut Osweiler.

Whit figured if Marvin keeps signing he should just go after the money because he isn't getting the ring

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Whit figured if Marvin keeps signing he should just go after the money because he isn't getting the ring
    OR....If the Bengals offer 4 more million guaranteed, he likely stays......this was all about the $$ plain and simple, Rams have no shot at winning anything over the next two years.

stole this from a friend, I think he makes some excellent points...

Good points indeed but it also shows that a lot of the talent in those drfats were wasted on crappy coaching and overall crappy personnel management. Drafting well is just one piece of the winning puzzle.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    What happened to the ole mantra we draft and re-sign our own to become a winner? Yea, that is really working out well now isn't it. We re-sign a bum WR nobody wants and Dre I get burnt more than toast Kirkpatrick, oh joy! MFB knows how to build a Super Bowl winning team alright! Hey, at least we still have Mediocre Marv to right the ship for what, $5M? Lol so I guess we will go after FAs? Not! I guess we will find out if Whit and Z were part of the weak link on the OL, but having Alexander in charge, not going to happen. Pathetic!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Good points indeed but it also shows that a lot of the talent in those drfats were wasted on crappy coaching and overall crappy personnel management. Drafting well is just one piece of the winning puzzle.
    Pretty sure the point was when you draft well you can't sign everybody lol....It is what it is.

As for the rest of it....don't care about Mike Brown, won't talk about him...If he wants to run his team into the ground, more power to him....not my team, not my money, not my problem.

I completely understand Whit's decision. HUGE payday, and his last. If I was offered $1M / yr more than I'm currently making, to go to LA, I'm there! I don't mean when my current project ends and it's convenient for my employer. I mean tonight.

Also, if the Bengals almost matched that for a 35yr old, they're asinine. Same with Zeitler. I'd say at this point they're similar in their rankings among starters in the league. Z gets a bump for being younger / having a realistic chance of still performing at the end of this next contract. But no way he's worth THAT money, to Cincy. He'd be a fool to stay, and they'd be a fool to pay.

Agree - Dalton is doomed. Really the only hope for him is that we have so many weapons on the field that there's always someone talented available that threatens the defense / allows enough big plays to compensate for all the sacks and fumbles. Probably good we haven't traded AJ, as he's gonna get some snaps this year.

Pretty sure the point was when you draft well you can't sign everybody lol....It is what it is.

As for the rest of it....don't care about Mike Brown, won't talk about him...If he wants to run his team into the ground, more power to him....not my team, not my money, not my problem.
    I know what the point was - my point was 'if we drafted so well' why have we not won a playoff game?

Karlos Dansby is leaving to go back to the Cardinals... that should tell you something about the atmosphere in the Bengals locker room and behind the scenes. Dansby pleaded to come here, saying the Bengals were poised for something great... however once he got here and saw what was REALLY going on, he's gone. Not a word out of him about it. That tells me that the Bengals behind the scenes are a joke like we fans think it is.

I know what the point was - my point was 'if we drafted so well' why have we not won a playoff game?
    yeah like I said, I'm not gonna talk or argue about MB.....it is what it is.

i hear 3 yr 36 mil contract with 16 mil guarenteed and 13mil this year , ( thats 5 million ) and i believe the bengals only offered a 1 year 11mil deal and we'll talk about 2018 next year per Hobs.

after last years 1 year 9 mil contract i cant blame him for not wanting to keep playing for 1 year deals for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    i hear 3 yr 36 mil contract with 16 mil guarenteed and 13mil this year , ( thats 5 million ) and i believe the bengals only offered a 1 year 11mil deal and we'll talk about 2018 next year per Hobs.

after last years 1 year 9 mil contract i cant blame him for not wanting to keep playing for 1 year deals for less money.
    I don't blame him at all.....I wish him all the best.