Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It was nuts of whoever it was to advise you to buy the team. It's not about money. You can't buy what's not for sale. This is the Brown family's life. They don't need more money. They're not going to sell their life.
    It was sarcasm, Duh! It was from LT saying for someone to buy the team so why didn't you comment to that person? I had a felling I was next. BTW, I could build a winner before MFB will ever do because he will never do it. You think he will? That is what you call a person that is Nuts! If the shoe fits, wear it!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

So what are people's thoughts about bringing in Kaepernick as a back up QB for the right price? If they trade McCarron I'm not real confident in the third string guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    You said it, Boss.

I remember (literally) running into him on Race Street several hours after a game a few years ago. He apologized for walking into me, and we ended up spending around 15 minutes just shooting the breeze and talking football. A very nice, real, man. You need guys like this on your team, and he will be missed.

Maybe he will be back in a few years, as our big FA signing in the 2019 off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    So what are people's thoughts about bringing in Kaepernick as a back up QB for the right price? If they trade McCarron I'm not real confident in the third string guy.
    Who the hell has been talking about bringing that psycho in?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Who the hell has been talking about bringing that psycho in?
    He's said he will stand for the National Anthem for now on.

He sucks and I would never sign him. I want a Qb that can be coached.

no and mainly because the fact we would have to change the playbook due to the fact he isnt the same skill set as Dalton. you dont make the other 10 players learn and practice 2 playbooks incase the starting qb goes down. rather have the time being spent on 1 set of plays lord knows they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    no and mainly because the fact we would have to change the playbook due to the fact he isnt the same skill set as Dalton. you dont make the other 10 players learn and practice 2 playbooks incase the starting qb goes down. rather have the time being spent on 1 set of plays lord knows they need it.
    Well the third string guy we have now is from San Fran is basically like Kaepernick. So... it's the same scenario.

Bengals signing Kevin Minter, per ESPN

very nice signing.....and the end of Rey Maualuga

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/18...inter-per-espn
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

unless they have Foster as the head and shoulders BPA, that probably takes LB off the board at 9.

new starting LB's...

Burfict WLB
    Minter MLB
    Vigil SLB
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    very nice signing.....and the end of Rey Maualuga

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/18...inter-per-espn
    Wow that helps and could also mean they won't have to pick Foster if someone else better is available at 9. To me with the LaFell signing and now the Minter signing... and letting Burkhead go, it really looks like Fournette if he's there.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw it is just a pathetic one year deal... so it doesn't mean anything other than a stop gap.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw it is just a pathetic one year deal... so it doesn't mean anything other than a stop gap.
    no it just means that they don't have to count on a rookie starter right away, which we all know is something that they loathe to do......with Minter here for a year a guy like McMillan at 41 would make a lot of sense as the long term MLB'er after Minter leaves.

to me this move all but guarantees that they're not taking a LB at #9.....gotta believe they're just looking for the top playmaker available on either side of the ball. (Fournette won't be there though)

to me this move all but guarantees that they're not taking a LB at #9.....gotta believe they're just looking for the top playmaker available on either side of the ball. (Fournette won't be there though)
    Do you think it is possible the Bengals see Reddick as the best playmaker available at 9?
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Basically we exchanged Dansby for Minter ... for one time we are the smart team

Wow that helps and could also mean they won't have to pick Foster if someone else better is available at 9. To me with the LaFell signing and now the Minter signing... and letting Burkhead go, it really looks like Fournette if he's there.

I disagree, this is the type of signing we need to do more of. If he works out well can always try and sign him to another deal. If he allows younger guys to develop and pass him, he is gone after 1 year. They need to treat some of their draft picks like this - if they has signed a guy like Margus Hunt as a free agent we would never have kept him for 4 years. And if this signing means they cut Rey M, it is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Do you think it is possible the Bengals see Reddick as the best playmaker available at 9?
    nope

more than likely Howard, Williams, Cook or Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I disagree, this is the type of signing we need to do more of. If he works out well can always try and sign him to another deal. If he allows younger guys to develop and pass him, he is gone after 1 year. They need to treat some of their draft picks like this - if they has signed a guy like Margus Hunt as a free agent we would never have kept him for 4 years. And if this signing means they cut Rey M, it is worth every penny.
    agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    Basically we exchanged Dansby for Minter ... for one time we are the smart team
    not just that...Minter spells the end of Rey Maualuga in Cincinnati

no it just means that they don't have to count on a rookie starter right away, which we all know is something that they loathe to do......with Minter here for a year a guy like McMillan at 41 would make a lot of sense as the long term MLB'er after Minter leaves.
    McMillan or (wht not?) ... Jarrad Davis

McMillan or (wht not?) ... Jarrad Davis
    right, either one

nope

more than likely Howard, Williams, Cook or Ross.
    Or Peppers. Or Allen.

And Cook? Not a great combine and rumors about off the field stuff. I think he's dropping like a stone.

As much as this free agency period has sucked due to losing Whit and Zeitler, I am encouraged on the defensive side of the ball. Peko leaving finally clears room for the young guys to get their chance at DT. Hardison and Billings will be an instant upgrade there (assuming they can stay healthy). As others said, the Minter signing spells the end of Rey Maualuga's tenure. Since Minter is only on a one-year deal, we'll probably still see the Bengals take a LB in the early rounds of the draft. I'm not overly excited about Dre Kirkpatrick coming back, but it was the right move. With Dennard still being a question mark heading into the final year of his rookie contract, the Bengals need to decide whether to pickup the fifth-year option. If healthy, WJIII needs to be on the field. Period. Adam Jones needs to be cut. He had a big drop-off in production last year, got arrested yet again, Erickson took over his kick returning duties, and the Bengals free up salary cap money by letting him go. What is there to consider? If Maualuga is released, the Bengals will definitely have achieved addition by subtraction by getting rid of the dead weight (Peko, Hunt, Maualuga) on D. Get a DE and LB in the draft and we should be set on D for the next couple of years.

right, either one
    McMillan, Jarrad Davis or ...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...the-next-level

foster, reddick, peppers, cunningham, davis, anderson, mcmillan, watt, anzalone ... forgotten anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Or Peppers. Or Allen.

And Cook? Not a great combine and rumors about off the field stuff. I think he's dropping like a stone.
    I'll puke if they take Peppers that early....good with the ball in his hands but the guy is an average at best defender, I'd rather put him at RB than LB/S.

the only way Allen will be there is if his shoulders scare teams....if that ends up being the case I doubt we take him either.

hard to say with Cook really, he might not have killed it at the combine but his tape still speaks for itself.....if not Cook then maybe add McCaffrey to the list, better ball skills anyway.....the one guy I know they want is Fournette but they're still going to be looking to add speed/talent to that group even if they can't get him.

McMillan, Jarrad Davis or ...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...the-next-level

foster, reddick, peppers, cunningham, davis, anderson, mcmillan, watt, anzalone ... forgotten anyone?
    no but it would be crazy to draft Anzalone any higher than the back half of the 3rd rd IMO.....the guy has NEVER been able to stay on the field.

I've said it all along, I'd like Fourneete in the fist, and I wouldn't mind the Bengals using some picks to trade up in the second round and get TJ Watt. I seem some mocks that have him at the very bottom of first or very top of second round.

I've said it all along, I'd like Fourneete in the fist, and I wouldn't mind the Bengals using some picks to trade up in the second round and get TJ Watt. I seem some mocks that have him at the very bottom of first or very top of second round.
    The rumors of late have been he will go to the Jags at #4

I'll puke if they take Peppers that early....good with the ball in his hands but the guy is an average at best defender, I'd rather put him at RB than LB/S.

the only way Allen will be there is if his shoulders scare teams....if that ends up being the case I doubt we take him either.

hard to say with Cook really, he might not have killed it at the combine but his tape still speaks for itself.....if not Cook then maybe add McCaffrey to the list, better ball skills anyway.....the one guy I know they want is Fournette but they're still going to be looking to add speed/talent to that group even if they can't get him.
    Well keep that puke bucket on hand during the draft then. Can't you just see this explanation from Geunther: "He's the next Troy Polamalu, and if you know a guy is going to have a Polamalu impact, you have to take him. And until he learns NFL safety he'll play nickel linebacker and be on the field more than half the time. And be an ace special teamer. And most importantly he's the alpha male in the locker room who guys rally around, and that's what we need around here after losing Peko and Whitworth. His intangibles are incredible." To say he's average without the ball in his hands isn't quite accurate, in my opinion.

I disagree on Allen. If his shoulders checkout medically, he could still drop to us because his workouts weren't great. Kinda lousy actually. Solomon Thomas will go ahead of him in my opinion. If he's there at 9 and we pass, I'll assume his shoulders didn't check out.

Solomon Thomas will go ahead of him in my opinion. If he's there at 9 and we pass, I'll assume his shoulders didn't check out.
    I agree Solomon Thomas goes before Allen no matter what.

1 Clev- Garrett
    2 SF- Thomas
    3 Chi- Allen
    4 Jax- Fournette
    5 Tenn- Lattimore
    6 Jets- Foster
    7 Chargers- Adams
    8 Carolina- Hooker
    9 Cincy... Howard/Williams/Ross/Cook

Well keep that puke bucket on hand during the draft then. Can't you just see this explanation from Geunther: "He's the next Troy Polamalu, and if you know a guy is going to have a Polamalu impact, you have to take him. And until he learns NFL safety he'll play nickel linebacker and be on the field more than half the time. And be an ace special teamer. And most importantly he's the alpha male in the locker room who guys rally around, and that's what we need around here after losing Peko and Whitworth. His intangibles are incredible." To say he's average without the ball in his hands isn't quite accurate, in my opinion.

I disagree on Allen. If his shoulders checkout medically, he could still drop to us because his workouts weren't great. Kinda lousy actually. Solomon Thomas will go ahead of him in my opinion. If he's there at 9 and we pass, I'll assume his shoulders didn't check out.
    Except ML would intervene and not allow him time on the field for 2 years while he learns the new position.

1 Clev- Garrett
    2 SF- Thomas
    3 Chi- Allen
    4 Jax- Fournette
    5 Tenn- Lattimore
    6 Jets- Foster
    7 Chargers- Adams
    8 Carolina- Hooker
    I'd say: Howard/Williams/Ross/Davis . . . Kamara in the second or Mixon in the third or Joe Williams in the fourth

Nixon has a huge off field red flag but he will still likely be picked early in the 2nd round according to most.

1 Clev- Garrett
    2 SF- Thomas
    3 Chi- Allen
    4 Jax- Fournette
    5 Tenn- Lattimore
    6 Jets- Foster
    7 Chargers- Adams
    8 Carolina- Hooker
    I can see that but I think a QB still goes in there somewhere. I'd think the Jets take one even if they do sign Cutler. And what will SF do at QB if they pass here. I think there's still going to be some QB shuffling before the draft, so I'll break it down like this:

Players I'm certain will be off the board by 9: Garrett, Thomas, Fournette, Adams, at least one QB, and let's throw in Lattimore. That's 6.

So we'll be choosing amongst this group of players, except that one or two of them will be gone: Allen, Hooker, Howard, Barnett, Peppers, whomever we rate as our top WR. I wouldn't totally sleep on Marlon Humphrey either.

Best case scenario to me is that with four QB needy teams drafting right behind us, we drop down to the 10-13 range and our list of candidates becomes: Howard, Barnett, Peppers, Williams/Ross/Davis, Humphrey, Ramczyk, Foster, Reddick.

Of course trade downs are rare and there's no point trying to predict them now. Just thinking out loud really. I'd be shocked if we drafted Cook at any point. I don't really like Barnett either, but I wouldn't be shocked if we picked him.

QB's are the wild cards when they are not considered 'auto elite' so to speak. They can go top 10 or later in round one. It helps us if any of the top QB's go before us or even if we get a trade don offer due to a QB being coveted.

Edit - sorry, Bengali made this point above and I missed it.

Dalvin Cook overrated at a low value position, and I see McCaffrey as breaking less tackles and more ankles.
    Happy to see that both Foster and TJ Watt excel at getting to the QB, although Watt looks like a 3-4 OLB.
    Andre Smith is on a one year deal. There are 3-4 good OGs in round 2. Not a good OT draft.
    Hope to see the safeties go early and push other players down.
    Don't see Allen or Thomas lasting to #9 and can't see the Bengals passing if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    and I see McCaffrey as breaking less tackles and more ankles.
    honestly if they decided to shock everybody and take a guy like McCaffrey at 9 I'm not sure I'd be too upset about it, kid is easily one of the smoothest players I've ever seen and his feet are lightening quick.....I really believe he's gonna be an absolute match-up nightmare for DC's and a HUGE weapon for whoever drafts him.

Anyone consider the possibility we trade out of #9? I'd be perfectly fine with going all the way down into the 20s, get a #1 next year and draft Cam Robinson.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

I'd take Nixon at 41 if there.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Anyone consider the possibility we trade out of #9? I'd be perfectly fine with going all the way down into the 20s, get a #1 next year and draft Cam Robinson.

unless a QB gets into the top 8...and I'm far from convinced that one will...pick #8 seems to be the dividing line this year when it comes to separating the 5-star guys from the 4-star.....so unless one of the top 8 gets pushed down by a QB, trading back is probably the best possible move they could make.