Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 240

Thread: Bengals Free Agency Comings and Goings

  1. #81
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Letting the Broncos get Peko was the highlight of FA for me. At least this is one move I like and I'm laughing my ass off at how much the Broncos overpaid for a POS player.
    yeah because they have no idea what they're doing in Denver.

    Peko was a world class teammate here, he was a world class leader here, and he is a world class human being...I wish him nothing but the very best going forward.

    hopefully he gets that ring.
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  2. #82
    You said it, Boss.

    I remember (literally) running into him on Race Street several hours after a game a few years ago. He apologized for walking into me, and we ended up spending around 15 minutes just shooting the breeze and talking football. A very nice, real, man. You need guys like this on your team, and he will be missed.

    With Whitworth and Domata gone, who becomes the soul and leader of the locker room and practice field? Not sure those guys are there now.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  3. #83
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    With Whitworth and Domata gone, who becomes the soul and leader of the locker room and practice field? Not sure those guys are there now.
    Dalton/Green, Dunlap/Kirk.....that's my guess
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    No one is putting a gun to your head to keep following them. Just sayin'

    L.T.,

    I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to irritate you or besmear the admiration you clearly have for Mikey Brown and this franchise. I had momentarily forgotten that Mikey has modeled the Bengals after the Pittsburgh Stealers and the manner and ways that the Rooney's have operated that team. The comparisons are so that when you look at them, it's clear why Mr. Brown would make a statement such as that.

    Just for the sake of argument, even though the Squealers have been around since 1933, let's just look at their history since the "modern" era began in 1966 when the first Super Bowl was played. In that time, they been in the play-offs 29 times. They have won the Super Bowl six times, and they have sent 18 players to the Hall of Fame. So, that means that they win the S.B. every nine years, on average. They are in the play-offs every other year, and they send someone to Canton every two and a half years. Yep, Mikey is right on! His team hangs in there stat for stat with the Evil Empire. Let's take a look.

    The Bengals were formed in 1967, but started playing games in '68. In that time, they have NO Super Bowl victories, they have been in the play-offs 14 times, with the majority of those being BEFORE the"Mikey" took over the reigns, and they have two Hall of Famers in that time span. If my math is right, that equals to a play-off appearance roughly every four years, a H.O.F. player elected every 25 years, and a Super Bowl victory every ...............NEVER!

    The man would have to be damn delusional to make that kind of statement, and you want to carry his water? I'd say that my position and thoughts on this team get a lot more support from fans, the media, or anybody who watches the NFL, than your unwavering one. So, sit back, read my contributions, get mad, criticize me, and then look at the cold hard facts. Any owner who operates an NFL franchise the way Mikey does, accepts public welfare to increase the value of said franchise, and essentially blows smoke up my ass with statements like the one above, deserves all the frickin bile I can muster thrown at him.

  5. #85
    Technically the Bengals have more than 2 in the Hall of Fame. Paul Brown, Anthony Munoz, Charlie Joiner, and Bill Walsh off of the top of my head. I'm sure there is more that played for the Bengals that went in.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Technically the Bengals have more than 2 in the Hall of Fame. Paul Brown, Anthony Munoz, Charlie Joiner, and Bill Walsh off of the top of my head. I'm sure there is more that played for the Bengals that went in.
    The Bengals own website only lists the two. Joiner and Munoz.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Y

    With Whitworth and Domata gone, who becomes the soul and leader of the locker room and practice field? Not sure those guys are there now.
    Marvin has it covered. He will get the young guys, who he refuses to play on the field, to take leadership roles so they are fully ready to be team leaders after they leave in free agency.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by furnbuff View Post
    L.T.,

    I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to irritate you or besmear the admiration you clearly have for Mikey Brown and this franchise. I had momentarily forgotten that Mikey has modeled the Bengals after the Pittsburgh Stealers and the manner and ways that the Rooney's have operated that team. The comparisons are so that when you look at them, it's clear why Mr. Brown would make a statement such as that.

    Just for the sake of argument, even though the Squealers have been around since 1933, let's just look at their history since the "modern" era began in 1966 when the first Super Bowl was played. In that time, they been in the play-offs 29 times. They have won the Super Bowl six times, and they have sent 18 players to the Hall of Fame. So, that means that they win the S.B. every nine years, on average. They are in the play-offs every other year, and they send someone to Canton every two and a half years. Yep, Mikey is right on! His team hangs in there stat for stat with the Evil Empire. Let's take a look.

    The Bengals were formed in 1967, but started playing games in '68. In that time, they have NO Super Bowl victories, they have been in the play-offs 14 times, with the majority of those being BEFORE the"Mikey" took over the reigns, and they have two Hall of Famers in that time span. If my math is right, that equals to a play-off appearance roughly every four years, a H.O.F. player elected every 25 years, and a Super Bowl victory every ...............NEVER!

    The man would have to be damn delusional to make that kind of statement, and you want to carry his water? I'd say that my position and thoughts on this team get a lot more support from fans, the media, or anybody who watches the NFL, than your unwavering one. So, sit back, read my contributions, get mad, criticize me, and then look at the cold hard facts. Any owner who operates an NFL franchise the way Mikey does, accepts public welfare to increase the value of said franchise, and essentially blows smoke up my ass with statements like the one above, deserves all the frickin bile I can muster thrown at him.
    Whoa, Furn...relax. No offense intended. Yours was a heartfelt statement, and I get what you are trying to say...remember, I went through the '90's too.

    But, what I was saying was: move on if it bothers you that much. I am not Dr. Phil, so no couch advice here, but life is too short to engage in something which causes pain or angst. There is no real gain by doing it--trust one like me who finally discovered it.

    More than a few years ago, after finally figuring out that--as Sam so famously said below--this game/league isn't worth it. I no longer care what anyone in this nonsense entertainment vehicle does or doesn't do...I am completely divorced from it emotionally. And this has been a total 180 from where I was one time. Lima loves to taunt me on this, but when I am asked "why do you bother to go to games/watch on the Telly/etc.?", I can honestly say that I just enjoy the game for what it is: an entertainment event. Sure, I want my selected favorite for entertainment to win the contests, but there is--for me anyway--more to it than losing sleep over something I have no control over anyway.

    But look, that's me...I certainly do not mean it is for everyone. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Marvin has it covered. He will get the young guys, who he refuses to play on the field, to take leadership roles so they are fully ready to be team leaders after they leave in free agency.
    A serious question, followed by the predictable 90's era ingrained response: check.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Dalton/Green, Dunlap/Kirk.....that's my guess
    Maybe. 'Los is a straight-talk/no BS sort. I could see him especially being a media mouthpiece, as both Whitworth and Domata were.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  11. #91
    Administrator Super Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,043
    Out with old, in with the new. Now that Whitworth and Peko is gone can we see Marvin, Rey and Jones go too. Add Sims and Johnson to. Don't sign any UFA from last years roster. Maybe sign Burkhead.
    Your new leaders are respected Atkins and Dunlap on defense and respected Dalton and Green on offense. You then have a team that knows nothing but winning outside of last year.
    According to Over The Cap website we are still $27,631,164 under the cap. http://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals
    We have a chance to still pick up free agents. I really like to see us get Hightower but that is a pipe dream because New England will sign him still and I like to see us sign Lang. If we can sign those two. We have lost nothing in free agency.
    We still have a talented young team Billing should make our DL better than Peko. To me we only need LBer and hope the young OL comes through. With year under their belt I believe the receivers get better. Two thing can hold Bengals back OL and coaching.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    A serious question, followed by the predictable 90's era ingrained response: check.
    What was the serious question? How do we replace 'leaders' who helped this team play so well in 4 straight playoff losses. I recall both players playing poorly (as the team did) in all those losses not to mention all the critical game losses. Both of these guys, with all due respect for them as people, were part of the problem not the solution. They were part of the "we need to be better next time and we will" crowd that fills this organization. This whole organization lacks leadership, if you cannot see that you are blind. Leadership in successful organizations comes from the top down not the bottom up. Teams like the Pats and Steelers measure success by wins and championships, Mikey measures it in dollars. It is plain and it is simple. Mikey has not provided a single shred of evidence that he cares about being anything other than 'moderately competitive'. So until he and ML are gone, it does not matter who our 'leaders' are.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  13. #93
    Broncos sign DT Domata Peko (2 years, $7.5 million): D Grade
    Any team that believes Domata Peko is worth anything more than the veteran minimum hasn't watched him play football over the past few seasons. Peko used to be a solid defender, but he has regressed into a practice squad-caliber player now that he's well into his 30s.

    It'll be shocking if Peko even has one good game for the Broncos. That's how bad he's been for Cincinnati. Peko does nothing well anymore, so giving him more than $3 million per season seems utterly ridiculous. I don't think I'd even give him $3 per game.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents...03zrRyCvwp8.99
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Whoa, Furn...relax. No offense intended. Yours was a heartfelt statement, and I get what you are trying to say...remember, I went through the '90's too.

    But, what I was saying was: move on if it bothers you that much. I am not Dr. Phil, so no couch advice here, but life is too short to engage in something which causes pain or angst. There is no real gain by doing it--trust one like me who finally discovered it.

    More than a few years ago, after finally figuring out that--as Sam so famously said below--this game/league isn't worth it. I no longer care what anyone in this nonsense entertainment vehicle does or doesn't do...I am completely divorced from it emotionally. And this has been a total 180 from where I was one time. Lima loves to taunt me on this, but when I am asked "why do you bother to go to games/watch on the Telly/etc.?", I can honestly say that I just enjoy the game for what it is: an entertainment event. Sure, I want my selected favorite for entertainment to win the contests, but there is--for me anyway--more to it than losing sleep over something I have no control over anyway.

    But look, that's me...I certainly do not mean it is for everyone. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

    We cool, Tiger Man, we cool.

    Yea, I sort of misinterpreted where you was comin' from. The man just gets to me. I was raised on this club and I guess I expect everyone else to have the same passion that I possess. I'm also big on truth. I absolutely hate to be lied to, and I just wish that Mikey would cut the bull_hit and be honest on why he do what he do.

    I have been overheard down through the years as promising to dance a jig on the man's grave after he goes. That promise is still valid.

  15. #95
    The only hope we have for any level of success with this club lies with Katie. Once Mikey is gone, we will have to see if she is like him or if she has a desire to win. Mikey possess no desire to win.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  16. #96
    In the minority shebengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    The Browns offensive lines have, in recent years, been fairly solid. That isn't their problem on offense: it is meager RB's, no WR's (even worse now with TP heading off), and (obviously) no one under center. Their defense is also a disaster. So all of this talk of their "trending up" is amusing. ESPN will no doubt crown them the Kings of Free Agency (which they have won before).
    The Browns OL hasn't been all that great. They let Alex Mack go last year and replaced him with Cam Erving, another high draft pick who has been a complete disaster for them. I forgot to mention they signed Kenny Britt and TP was originally trying to get $14 mill/year and finally settled for $8 mill/year with Washington.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

    "The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by furnbuff View Post
    The Bengals own website only lists the two. Joiner and Munoz.
    Doesn't matter. There is no doubt whatsoever the other two were with the Bengals, and in the case of Bill Walsh, he might not have been a Hall of Famer had he not developed the West Coast Offense in Cincinnati.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post

    With Whitworth and Domata gone, who becomes the soul and leader of the locker room and practice field? Not sure those guys are there now.
    From the mouth of the playoff losing clapping clown:

    Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis made it clear on Friday: The torch had been passed. With longtime Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth leaving in free agency, Lewis said the team is now in the hands of quarterback Andy Dalton.

    Our new fearless leader is none other than the choke under pressure QB. Good news all around.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  19. #99
    Connor Barwin coming in for a visit... or course they are about 3 years a little late on getting him.

  20. #100
    He is still only 30, and has 50.5 career sacks in 7 seasons. A natural 4-3 end, who can bend the corner. We could use one of these. Not the alpha and omega of course, but what's not to like?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  21. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    He is still only 30, and has 50.5 career sacks in 7 seasons. A natural 4-3 end, who can bend the corner. We could use one of these. Not the alpha and omega of course, but what's not to like?
    He's only played in a 4-3 defense one year in his career, which was last year and the worst year statistically of his career.

    On another note, Burkhead is visiting the Patriots today... if they sign him and he turns into the next Danny Woodhead, this board might implode.

  22. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    He's only played in a 4-3 defense one year in his career, which was last year and the worst year statistically of his career.

    On another note, Burkhead is visiting the Patriots today... if they sign him and he turns into the next Danny Woodhead, this board might implode.
    No shit, it was quite obvious to all of us here that Burkhead was very under utilized in our offense, especially when the stubbornly stayed with Hill when he was sucking.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  23. #103
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Connor Barwin coming in for a visit... or course they are about 3 years a little late on getting him.
    lol, it's not like he's some old washed up bum.

    I'm guessing if he signs here it will be to fill the Gilberry role.
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  24. #104
    Bengals waived James Wright...damn I was so looking forward to the Hobs article on him being the second coming.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  25. #105
    we need to re name this thread bengals free agency goings, cause as we know there aint gonna be much comings

  26. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Bengals waived James Wright...damn I was so looking forward to the Hobs article on him being the second coming.
    He was a special teams contributor when healthy. With Peerman getting old and now Wright gone, someone needs to step up.

  27. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    He was a special teams contributor when healthy. With Peerman getting old and now Wright gone, someone needs to step up.
    No worries. Our elite ST coach will find some young guys and coach them up!
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  28. #108
    This is a nicely written article that articulates the situation perfectly:

    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/13...ot-to-prove-it
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

  29. #109
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    Art Stapleton @art_stapleton
    Keenan Robinson visiting Bengals, per @JosinaAnderson
    Key member of 2016 #Giants LB corps. They'd like to have him back. Waiting game 4 NYG
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  30. #110
    Andre Smith is officially visiting Cincy.

  31. #111
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    this is a pretty good listen, 10 min of Lap talking about Whit, Zeitler and Dre Kirk...

    http://espn1530.iheart.com/media/play/27692148/
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  32. #112
    Hunt signed with the Colts.

  33. #113
    Someone posted Barwin signed with the Rams... I can't verify that yet.

  34. #114
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815

    Former Bengals defensive end Margus Hunt signing 2-year deal with Colts

    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  35. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Someone posted Barwin signed with the Rams... I can't verify that yet.
    Seeing nothing on this anywhere. Only mention of Rams found is from a day ago where it says he MIGHT visit the Rams because of his connection with Wade Phillips.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  36. #116
    Good for the Eastern Bloc. Maybe he'll turn out better than the condition the Berlin Wall is in today.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  37. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Seeing nothing on this anywhere. Only mention of Rams found is from a day ago where it says he MIGHT visit the Rams because of his connection with Wade Phillips.
    It was someone on CincyJungle... not sure if they were just joking or serious.

    Ok, never mind they said it wasn't true they were just jumping the gun because he is supposed to make a visit.

  38. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    No worries. Our elite ST coach will find some young guys and coach them up!
    Since so much of a ST coach's "ratings" come off of The FG unit's production, last season makes Simmons look worse than he actually is. But overall, he has had the respect and accolades from his peers...as opposed to Internet experts and squawking head media types.

    Also was perusing commentary by peers and fellow coaches around the league--you know, the guys who actually are the experienced professionals. You would be amazed at the praise for ML and his staff. I wouldn't expect the IE's--especially those with '90's Era Syndrome--to fathom it, but it's out there for view.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  39. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It was someone on CincyJungle... not sure if they were just joking or serious.

    Ok, never mind they said it wasn't true they were just jumping the gun because he is supposed to make a visit.
    It happens.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  40. #120
    Yeah....Darrin Simmons, whose units have cost us the playoffs in 2006, 2007, and this 2016.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •