Thread: Finally.......Rey Maualuga cut.

Finally.......Rey Maualuga cut.

According to reports, Rey Maualuga has been cut by the Bengals. I hope he gets help because he's an alcoholic, maybe he can be drinking buddies with Bob Bratkowski. I hope the Bengals send you off with a pristine 2003 Blue Pontiac Sunfire!!

Rey_Maualuga_dui_crash_scene_photo.jpg

21852374.jpg

Thanks for nothing Rey!!

The Cincinnati Bengals have released veteran linebacker Rey Maualuga, the team announced Saturday.

Maualuga, 30, was entering the last season of his contract and was due $3.6 million in salary and bonuses.

"Rey has been a tough and productive player for us, and a fine teammate, and this is a difficult decision," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. "It's one of several we have made to transition to a younger group at linebacker as we continue to shape our 2017 roster."

Maualuga was the Bengals' second-round draft pick in 2009 and has been a longtime fixture in the middle for Cincinnati, starting 104 regular season games there during his eight-year tenure.

However, Maualuga's play appeared to decline in 2016, and so did his playing time. He became expendable due to his age, salary and production.

He played only nine snaps in the season opener vs. the Jets, and took more than 50 percent of the defensive snaps in only four games last season. He missed two games due to injury and finished the season with 27 total tackles, the lowest number of his career.

The Bengals were clearly looking to go a new direction at linebacker, letting Karlos Dansby leave in free agency and signing Kevin Minter to a one-year, $4.25 million deal. They have also taken a hard look at linebackers in the draft, and have not dismissed the possibility of taking one early.

With Maualuga gone, Minter and Vontaze Burfict will be two of the main starting linebackers, with 2016 third-round pick Nick Vigil also in line for more playing time. Vincent Rey, who backed up Burfict while he was out on suspension last year, will also figure into the mix.... Cont
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Oh...I figured this was a thread about him getting in great shape and not losing his job... because Marvin Lewis doesn't cut veterans.

I think if thats the case the title would
    Finally .... Rey Maualuga Ripped.
    Dona eis Requiem

Let the rejoicing begin! Can we now fire ML?
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

one more to go.....I think Pacman hits the road with June 1st cuts.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

584 career tackles...yeah, thanks for nothing Rey. And lol @ an arrest made 7 years ago to go along with with some slur about alcoholism.

He wasn't Dick Butkus...but he wasn't Adolf Eichmann either.

Stay classy, Bengal fans.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

The problem with Rey M was not Rey M. It was the teams (and mostly ML's) constant theme of playing very average veterans and not actively pushing/replacing them with better players. They are comfortable with these average guys because 'they know the system, etc." They would rather have a sucky vet get beat then a rookie get beat and learn.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    one more to go.....I think Pacman hits the road with June 1st cuts.
    the June 1st cuts thing is irrelevant now, because you can cut a player now and designate him a june 1 cut (they changed that so that a veteran who is cut still has a job market). Jones getting cut will have much more to do with whether we sign a veteran, such as Nick Mangold (unlikely). If we're not using his 6 mil or so on somebody else, there's no need to cut him. And whether he gets suspended. I honestly don't think they've decided yet.

Chris Lewis-Harris is still out there, and we all know how much we like bringing back our own former players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-rey-maualuga

Lots of delusional fans from other teams want Maualuga for some stupid, ####ed up reason.
    Only users lose drugs

Rey M is gone mostly for the reason we should never have re-signed him in the first place ... his breed of "two down thumper" is obsolete in the modern NFL. Just like it was two years ago when we gave him a giant pot of money. Just goes to show how slow our organization is to adapt sometimes. I really think one of our organization's weakness is the ability to gauge the market, with their surprise at how strong Whit's market was as evidence of that. The market evolves, we stand still.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    the June 1st cuts thing is irrelevant now, because you can cut a player now and designate him a june 1 cut
    and yet every year teams still cut a laundry list of players on 6/1 ....amazing.

not gonna rag on Maualuga at times he made decent plays, I think when they moved him the MB it didnt play to his strengths . i dont see many plays he made that couldnt be replaced by scheme or another player so we can plug in another and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    and yet every year teams still cut a laundry list of players on 6/1 ....amazing.
    3 years ago maybe, but now there's only a few

I'll be critical of Rey because he had unfulfilled potential. Interesting enough though, the trio of USC linebackers Maualuga, Cushing, and Matthews have had success in the NFL, yet have questionable ethics. Cushing has been busted for performance enhancers and Clay Matthews went from being under-sized to 243 lbs.......put those pieces together. Maualuga has alcohol problems, even though he went to rehab, he never turned things around. Look at his last contract, the Bengals paid him very well. Last season, he shows up so much out of shape, he's held out of training camp so he can get up to speed physically. That is a joke. Had he taken his career seriously, he could have been a lot better.

Not showing up to camp in shape is my only criticism of Rey. Everything else is on the Bengals. He started playing on the outside. It became clear early that he was a two-down LB who was poor in coverage. He also missed more than his fair share of tackles. These traits do not make for a diverse defensive package player. When Burfict arrived he was moved inside, presumably due to size, despite average play recognition. His tackling and coverage skills never improved. What is strange is that the rest of defense played much better when he was on the field. After teaming with Burfict for one year, the Bengals signed him for 2yr/6.5M knowing he was a two-down, poor tackling, poor in coverage player who had a habit of showing up to camp out of shape. Then after two years they did it again for 3yr/15M. He is just another example of a player that the fans could see wasn't that good but the team couldn't move on from.

Good-bye Samoans Luga & Peko, thanks for the good memories

Quote Originally Posted by puddycat View Post
    Not showing up to camp in shape is my only criticism of Rey. Everything else is on the Bengals. He started playing on the outside. It became clear early that he was a two-down LB who was poor in coverage. He also missed more than his fair share of tackles. These traits do not make for a diverse defensive package player. When Burfict arrived he was moved inside, presumably due to size, despite average play recognition. His tackling and coverage skills never improved. What is strange is that the rest of defense played much better when he was on the field. After teaming with Burfict for one year, the Bengals signed him for 2yr/6.5M knowing he was a two-down, poor tackling, poor in coverage player who had a habit of showing up to camp out of shape. Then after two years they did it again for 3yr/15M. He is just another example of a player that the fans could see wasn't that good but the team couldn't move on from.
    Well said. He needed to be replaced years ago. That is just pure team stubbornness with 'their own'.

I can remember when Maualuga was drafted everybody was so excited...."I can't believe we got Rey Rey !"

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    I cannot believe I missed the party, Hooray and Good Riddance you worthless BUM!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    584 career tackles...yeah, thanks for nothing Rey. And lol @ an arrest made 7 years ago to go along with with some slur about alcoholism.

He wasn't Dick Butkus...but he wasn't Adolf Eichmann either.

Stay classy, Bengal fans.

584 tackles.....half of them after a 6 yard gain.

You are right about one thing...he definitely wasn't Dick Butkus.

Please back up your usual wild-swing-and-miss-broad-brush-strokes analysis.

This slop is not opinion, it is utter throw something at a wall.

Stay classy.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...s?season_id=12

Feel free to see the stats on Tackles for loss. Rey M is not even on tyhe list in the last 3 years that I looked. Why? Becuase he always missed gaps and weas late diagnosing so he 'stopped the run' after 4 + yards gained. As Marvin would say "I see better than I hear".

Great...you actually looked something up.

TFL's are a nice indicator of playmaking ability, but as as for your still-subjective conclusion that every tackle he had was "beyond 4 yards", TFL would not equate. And, since last year, he only had 17 total tackles in very limited PT, it means literally nothing. His best TFL season, 2011, he had 5...and the team was #10 for yards allowed rushing. His best tackle total season, 2012, They are #12 but he only had 1.5 TFL. Since not all of his 122 tackles were for loss, and the team basically stayed the same against the run...how do you get the conclusion that every one of his tackles were "beyond 4 yards"? Don't 10 other guys play too?

Not saying he was Butkus...but also not going too say he was this whiff machine you and Lima are contending.

they didn't even use Rey as a "tackler" here really....they pretty much just used him as a battering ram to hammer the interior of the o-lines, pretty much the defensive equivalent of a FB.

say what you want about the guy but he was a starter on some of the better defensive units that this team has ever had.....that was no accident.

I've watched every snap of every game since Maualuga was signed. Yes, he played on some great defenses, but I contend that he may have been the weakest link on all of those defenses. A few years of great coaching, a great secondary brought in by that great coach and a couple of dominant pass rushers for those few years, covered up the mediocre play of our eight (8) year starting MLB. Great teams are strongest in the middle. PB built both sides of the line of scrimmage from the inside-out. The weakest part of both the Bengals lines have been Center and MLB. Maybe that has something to do with zero playoff wins since Mike Brown has been in control.

And I don't need stats, LT, to form an opinion on who I SEE as a good player or a mediocre one. I believe that I've see the back of Maualuga's jersey, on tackles, more than I've seen the front.

Jebus Christ, nobody here is anointing the guy as the 2nd coming, we're simply acknowledging that he wasn't always all that bad....he had some decent times here on some pretty good defenses, that's it.

excuse the fluck out of us for not feeling the need to take a shit on every player that comes through here.....it's not their fault that Mike Brown signed them to over-inflated contracts or kept them around past their usefulness after all.
    Last edited by spicoli; 03-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.

No one is blaming Rey M at all. We are blaming the team for re-signing him to over inflated deals where the money could have been used in a far more productive fashion. We are speaking more to this team's philosophy of hanging on to it's own when they should move on. There are many players who could have played just as average for half the price. To me, just another example of the hamster wheel this team puts itself on.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    No one is blaming Rey M at all. We are blaming the team for re-signing him to over inflated deals where the money could have been used in a far more productive fashion. We are speaking more to this team's philosophy of hanging on to it's own when they should move on. There are many players who could have played just as average for half the price. To me, just another example of the hamster wheel this team puts itself on.
    Thank you.

Spic always tends to follow LT's leads. and I usually get him to swearing when I disagree. lol

Your comments are right on.

settle down there

lol

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    Thank you.

Spic always tends to follow LT's leads. and I usually get him to swearing when I disagree. lol

Your comments are right on.
    Spic paddles his own canoe. We just happen to see many things the same way.

No one can pull off a dizzying non sequitur or strawman like you, though. Got that hands down.