Thread: BENGALS 50th Anniversary

Thumbs up BENGALS 50th Anniversary

The Bengals will be having their 50th season coming soon. Will the team be honoring this moment with a special jersey patch? I hope it has a big 50 with tiger stripes designed in it.

Can we honor it with a SB win instead?
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Well, I suppose this is a 50th Anniversary year of sorts. Cincinnati was awarded an AFL expansion team in 1967.

We will have to wait until Summer of 2018 for the 50th mark of the first preseason game, and September for the anniversary of the first regular season game.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Hopefully they'll bring back all of their Hall of Fame players for a reunion. lol

What, the greatest offensive tackle, one of the best WR's, and the developer of the modern game of professional football isn't enough for you?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    Hopefully they'll bring back all of their Hall of Fame players for a reunion. lol
    Funny but I know there should be 3 more in the HOF. Riley, Curtis and Anderson. to bad Cincinnati isn't from either coast where all the football writer are.
    Dan Rooney just died yesterday and Pittsburgh didn't get a Hall of Famer until 1964 31 years after their existence. It was Art Rooney. First player 1966 33 years later. Most of the Steelers HOF'er came after they were in the league 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Funny but I know there should be 3 more in the HOF. Riley, Curtis and Anderson. to bad Cincinnati isn't from either coast where all the football writer are.
    Dan Rooney just died yesterday and Pittsburgh didn't get a Hall of Famer until 1964 31 years after their existence. It was Art Rooney. First player 1966 33 years later. Most of the Steelers HOF'er came after they were in the league 50 years

The point is - you have to win something for your team/players to be recognized. The Bengals haven't won anything in 50 years, hence no recognition and no no fan base outside of a 100 mile radius of town. Like you, SC, I've followed and rooted for this team since 1968 (Stoffa, Crabtree, Speedy Thomas. et al)
    But it gets frustrating, year after year, that Mike Brown refuses to do what is necessary to ever COMPLETE the puzzle if, and when, the few times he gets close.

Yep, we have had a few players that have deserved recognition - but few outside of Cincinnati ever heard of them. Whenever we have appeared on national TV, we just looked like the league "laughing-stock". That has not gone away.

And Mike Brown has historically dissed his past greats. There is no team HOF, no large public displays of jerseys retired, no Ring of Honor, not many past greats are asked to join the staff, etc. Even the pre-game video is mostly about honoring Paul Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    The point is - you have to win something for your team/players to be recognized. The Bengals haven't won anything in 50 years, hence no recognition and no no fan base outside of a 100 mile radius of town. Like you, SC, I've followed and rooted for this team since 1968 (Stoffa, Crabtree, Speedy Thomas. et al)
    But it gets frustrating, year after year, that Mike Brown refuses to do what is necessary to ever COMPLETE the puzzle if, and when, the few times he gets close.

Yep, we have had a few players that have deserved recognition - but few outside of Cincinnati ever heard of them. Whenever we have appeared on national TV, we just looked like the league "laughing-stock". That has not gone away.

And Mike Brown has historically dissed his past greats. There is no team HOF, no large public displays of jerseys retired, no Ring of Honor, not many past greats are asked to join the staff, etc. Even the pre-game video is mostly about honoring Paul Brown.
    Inside the stadium there are large screens that have most your better players. So even though there is no ring, they are recognized.

Of course they didn't get recognition outside of 100 mile radius early because they played their games against AFC central teams. These teams played each other 8 games out of 14 in the central part of the USA. Long away from major TV coverage that east and west coast teams had. Cleveland, and Steeler had a history of fans of 30 plus years before Bengals started and Houston 8 years. It wasn't until 1987 that cable got involved with the NFL. It was always CBS and NBC. Except ABC Monday night football. Basically you had 26 teams looking to be seen on TV on the east and west coast where you had only Sunday games. You had 3 games or 6 teams being seen each week. And the networks picked teams that were close but outside the blackout area. .

You say the Bengals haven't won anything in 50 years. You are wrong. They won the AFC title twice. Steelers didn't win their first championship until they were in the league 40 years.

The Bengals were only a laughing stock during the 90's. The 70's and 80's we were very strong. Twelve times in 20 years after 1970 the Bengals were either 1st of 2nd in the division. Eight times in last 13 years.

Mike Brown not doing anything? Since having total control when he gained final control of team in 2011. The Bengals went to playoffs 5 out of 6 years. The Bengals draft in that time was either rated A or B+. Three of coaches he hired are now Head coaches. He got the NFL CBA to favor teams and not draft choices.

His one mistake has been retaining Lewis. But it is hard to blame a coach that made it to the playoffs every year since 2011. And 6 out of 8 years. The losing season last year leaves the door open to boot Marvin. But if it makes it back to the playoffs, he will have a hard time letting him go. Because like you. Mike remembers the 90's and he doesn't want to take a step backward by changing a football season successful coach. Just not a playoff successful coach.

Not sure why you bother, Chief. Some look for every and any opportunity to bellyache.

I am not sure anymore that it is even emotional..it is more like Pavlov's Dog or a Tourette's spasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Not sure why you bother, Chief. Some look for every and any opportunity to bellyache.

I am not sure anymore that it is even emotional..it is more like Pavlov's Dog or a Tourette's spasm.
    I'm not happy we haven't won a super Bowl and that is the only thing that others think of. But 13 teams out of 32 have not. New Orleans won their only one after 42 years and only been there that time. Teams older than Cincy who haven't won one.
    Lions, Eagles, Cardinals, Titans, Bills, Vikings, Chargers, and Browns, Teams that never made it there Browns, Jaguars, Texans and Lions.
    Teams that only made it once, Bucs, Chargers, Jets, Saints,
    I would of fired Marvin a few years ago. Because we have the talent. To me it is coaching, but you can't fault an owner who stays with a coach who has made it to the playoffs 6 out of 8 years.

Oh yes i can! Lol
    Dona eis Requiem