Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft Round One

Ross needs to do two things....get off the line and run fast deep down the left side. He already catches what's thrown to him. Dalton led all NFL QB's last season in QB Rating on deep passes and it didn't matter who he was throwing it to. Different story with Whitworth and Zeitler gone, though.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    I agree, Ralph. Ross seems like aa reach to me, not BPA at 9th pick. We have a lot of holes, not just WR. Allen or Howard wou;d have been great....or a much needed Safety or LB. There was a run on Safeties too, LT.

I knew that LT would be satisfied and defend ANY pick that the Bengals would make. lol

I hope that all of Ross' problematic injuries are behind hin and that he holds up well to the monster hits the little guy is going to get in the league. Maybe he will be the first 1st rd. pick that is actually able to perform for the team in awhile. Let's hope so.
    As others have said, when do people like your hero LegoHead ever take direct shots? And JR is actually bigger than he is? He also played the entire season with that torn labrum, had no issues with his knee, and still put up great numbers against players who are now lauded in the Draft as "blue chip".

Yeah, I just defend any pick. And you just crap on any.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

i am warming to the pick but the injury concerns make it boom and bust. Last yeras WR's other than Green were just awful, zero seperation. and if we use him for punt returns this is a huge bonus. not the safe pick and for that i give them kudos.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    As others have said, when do people like your hero LegoHead ever take direct shots? And JR is actually bigger than he is? He also played the entire season with that torn labrum, had no issues with his knee, and still put up great numbers against players who are now lauded in the Draft as "blue chip".

Yeah, I just defend any pick. And you just crap on any.
    Didn't he have surgery again after the season?
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    you do realize these smaller quick guys are usually pretty darn good at avoiding big hits right? I mean, you never see Antonio Brown take big shots (unless Burfict is around), I've never seen DeSean Jackson get smoked, never seen Tyler Lockett get hammered.....Marvin Harrison NEVER took a big shot, Chad Johnson never really took too many big shots until later in his career, hell even the bigger AJ Green never even takes big shots.....these little dudes just know when to duck and they're usually quick enough to avoid the big shots even when it seems like they're gonna get squared up.....I'm much more worried about him getting stripped by stronger players than I am about him taking a big hit and not getting up.
    If he never took big shots then how did he get injured? On his own? Lol
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    If he never took big shots then how did he get injured? On his own? Lol
    Well yeah pretty much.....the only injury that happened in a game was the torn meniscus and that was just a freak injury....the acl and labrum happened at practice.

labrum injuries for non throwers is a pretty simple recovery and the knee injuries are old news.....he played every game last year with no ill effects.
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    Didn't he have surgery again after the season?
    To fix the labrum injury that he played with all year......like I said, not a major injury for non throwers.

Maybe we are looking at this wrong. What if Ross was selected to replace AJ in 2 years? We all know the Bengals hate WRs approaching 30. That is where AJ will be in 2 years. Still, I would have taken Allen or Howard over Ross.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Maybe we are looking at this wrong. What if Ross was selected to replace AJ in 2 years? We all know the Bengals hate WRs approaching 30. That is where AJ will be in 2 years.
    uh, no way in hell.

if it were a Brandon Lafell type guy I could see it, but not a future HOFer like Green.....no way, no how.

Well, he mostly likely will replace LaFell this year at some point and LaFell will be gone next year for sure.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    Well, he mostly likely will replace LaFell this year at some point and LaFell will be gone next year for sure.
    For sure

If you can stomach Kay Adams here's John Ross as a "Draft Story"
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...tory-John-Ross
    Ross on Good Morning Football before the draft.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...gest-influence
    Ross after the 1st round
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...nded-John-Ross
    Only users lose drugs

I think the Reds and Bengals should get together and plan a race between Ross and Billy Hamilton. Pick a charity and sell tickets to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the Reds and Bengals should get together and plan a race between Ross and Billy Hamilton. Pick a charity and sell tickets to the event.
    that's awesome....I'd definitely pay to go see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    If you can stomach Kay Adams here's John Ross as a "Draft Story"
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...tory-John-Ross
    Ross on Good Morning Football before the draft.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...gest-influence
    Ross after the 1st round
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...nded-John-Ross
    Thanks, I had not seen those.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

Dude.

That is frickin' genius. Well done!

When I initially read the first six words my brain finished a completely different sentence.
    I think the Reds and Bengals . . . have the worst Manager/Head Coach one city tandem in pro sports
    And for those of you that thought that Ross was picked too early, this mock has Ross going to the Panthers at #8 and the Bengals grabbing Mike Williams instead.
    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery...is-date-031617
    Only users lose drugs

Prior to the draft I pegged us for 5 wins. Now I am thinking 11. Ross and Mixon were incredibly smart moves for this offense. I'm still needing to go back and check to make sure it wasn't a dream.

Cincinnati will be the youngest team in the NFL when the regular season starts this year.....let that sink in for a minute.

Cincinnati will be the youngest team in the NFL when the regular season starts this year.....let that sink in for a minute.
    Dynasty!

Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    Dynasty!
    Lol I'm not gonna go that far, but a young fast team coupled with a 7 year veteran starting QB that's very good at reading a defense and getting it to these guys in rhythm has a chance at being a pretty scary offense for quite a few years....I'm talking like 2016 Atlanta Falcons scary.....if the young tackles can develop and Burfict can stay healthy and out of the league office, this team has a chance at being pretty damn good pretty damn quick and with some potential staying power, IMO.
    Last edited by spicoli; 05-04-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Well, it just got easier to slot Ross' contract.
    Christian McCaffrey is officially a Carolina Panther.

The team announced on Thursday that they have signed the running back to a four-year contract with a fifth-year option. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

McCaffrey, selected eight overall, is the first pick from the 2017 NFL Draft to sign a contract.
    Only users lose drugs

Lol I'm not gonna go that far, but a young fast team coupled with a 7 year veteran starting QB that's very good at reading a defense and getting it to these guys in rhythm has a chance at being a pretty scary offense for quite a few years....I'm talking like 2016 Atlanta Falcons scary.....if the young tackles can develop and Burfict can stay healthy and out of the league office, this team has a chance at being pretty damn good pretty damn quick and with some potential staying power, IMO.
    Atlanta was great because Alex Mack became their Center. No comparisons here.

Jake Matthews had his first full season at LT, after proving himself at RT. He was very good at LT. Ryan Schrader was excellent on the Right side after being rewarded for his excellent part-time play in 2015. The rest of their O-Line was very good, too. Maybe in four years we can have an Offensive Line that resembles Atlanta's, as that's how you get that kind of a juggernaut Offense, not from the pretty boys with the speed and the names.

Right now, Atlanta's Offensive Line and Cincinnati's Offensive Line are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

There's a whole lot of people putting the cart before the horse here. This is a team that only scored 20.3 points per game last year that dumped their only two productive O-Linemen, who were also the best in the league at their position. They have the same O.C., who was clearly in way over his head last season, with the same buffoon of a Head Coach as before who has always proven to be a millstone around the Offense. Rookies and unproven players who have yet to put up a single "below-average" season, but only poor seasons so far are going to miraculously increase the scoring output of the Offense? I've got a bridge to sell someone.

When we get to Week 10, and the season is half done, let's honestly evaluate whether any improvement has actually taken place with the Offense, if they are averaging more than 20.3 points per game. The Kicker alone should make a difference you would think, but Rookie Kickers struggle, too.

I would be ecstatic if by Week 10, Dalton has avoided getting a concussion while not missing any time. I would call the Offense's transition from Whitworth/Zeitler to Ogbuehi/Fisher a rousing success to that point.

But, then real football begins in November and these new starters and rookies only got their first taste of the NFL. They have yet to play with Panicking Marvin in November and December when the intensity level moves up two notches and everyone is expected to play hurt and injured and exhausted. Let's see how the new O-Line holds up under those conditions, or if we'll start finding them with questionable and doubtful tags at this point with repeated missed practices throughout the week.
    Last edited by BlazerBenner; 05-06-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

Great post Blazer, my sentiments exactly. I have little faith in Zampese being able to be creative with all the so weapons at his disposal and even far less faith that Marvin would even let him. That clown will still want to grind it out and will continue to handcuff any creativity and risk taking on both sides of the ball. And Marvin has also proven he gets worse as a HC as the games get more intense.

You have no faith in anyone on this team. And if you ever did, it was not apparent from any postings.

Blazer does make some good points, however laced with the usual doom/gloom because the center position isn't perfect. And, the UO Duck-lover in him has to recall who was protecting the greatest Duckie QB ever during his greatest season? Maybe, just maybe, finally at a fixed position as opposed to being shuffled all over the line, he isn't so bad after all (not that he was anyway)?

And golly, two of the highest-rated tackles, in one of the most talent-laden tackle drafts--who were going to be drafted very high regardless of who took them--obviously have nothing going for them that time and training can't thresh something good out of? Oh, of course, do cue the PA loathing now.

Naturally, everyone else anywhere else, is infinitely better than anyone who happens to be here. Of course, the sainted Atlanta Falcons--who for the prior two seasons couldn't get out of their own way on either offense or defense, catch a rocket ride last season, and are now the Gold Standard? But, of course, that can never happen here--because a 35-year old tackle and a guard are no longer on the roster.

But no, why interfere with the age-old hate fest? Carry on.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

he is just bringing up the reality to those only looking at who we drafted and proclaiming we have an super offense now. every year draftees are highly rated (and low rated) and when the real season starts we find they arent what they was supposed to be. just in the Bengals alone you have akili smith and burflict as examples.

as far as the Oline goes they sucked last year and the 2 that sucked the least are gone and we have 1 center that hasnt performed at a good level for many years, a LG that ended up hurt at the end of the season a LT that failed at RT and hasnt had 1 healthy TC in his 2 years as a bengal a RG that only showed up in shape 1 year outta 6 and a RT that showed some promise but also got hurt at the end of the year. I hope everything works perfect for them all and they are great, but atm the only OL that you can truthfully say is a solid building block to center the OL around is Boiling. and just what is hios highest rating in all the years he has played LG?

sorry if some us is a little skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    You have no faith in anyone on this team. And if you ever did, it was not apparent from any postings.

Blazer does make some good points, however laced with the usual doom/gloom because the center position isn't perfect. And, the UO Duck-lover in him has to recall who was protecting the greatest Duckie QB ever during his greatest season? Maybe, just maybe, finally at a fixed position as opposed to being shuffled all over the line, he isn't so bad after all (not that he was anyway)?

And golly, two of the highest-rated tackles, in one of the most talent-laden tackle drafts--who were going to be drafted very high regardless of who took them--obviously have nothing going for them that time and training can't thresh something good out of? Oh, of course, do cue the PA loathing now.

Naturally, everyone else anywhere else, is infinitely better than anyone who happens to be here. Of course, the sainted Atlanta Falcons--who for the prior two seasons couldn't get out of their own way on either offense or defense, catch a rocket ride last season, and are now the Gold Standard? But, of course, that can never happen here--because a 35-year old tackle and a guard are no longer on the roster.

But no, why interfere with the age-old hate fest? Carry on.
    It is not really the players I have little faith in as much as the coaches and the coaching philosophy. Zampese is no Hue or Gruden and I am convinced Guenther is handcuffed by ML whereas Zimmer was able to do his own thing. I have little faith in the coaches being able to integrate young players into the lineup, again it is a ML thing. Other teams seem to have little issue doing this.

I am in fact a realist - this coaching staff and certain key players have shown zero ability to win in imporatnat situations - zero - so you can use your pom-poms all you want , it wont change the facts we have in front of us. For this season to be a playoff season - a LOT of 'IF's" have to come true. The biggest is the OL.

And you know this "handcuffing" how? Of course you know, defensive play calling comes first from the sideline--and just who was doing the play calling for St Michael?

And Zamp wasn't sitting in a corner doodling all these years--he had direct operational duties under both Jay And Hue.

Your visceral hatred of ML has closed your mind to anything positive. "Pom Poms" Lol.

I don't remember Gruden being all that great in his first year either....very similar to Zampese in his first year actually.

and what did Hue do that was so great except for come up with a bunch of cute formations....seemed pretty much overrated to me.

and in addition the browns do not yet have a decent QB

For some reason in Hue's first year, he was able to pound the ball with a tenacious running game. Then somehow the offensive line magically began to miss assignments and Jeremy Hill thought he was Barry Sanders trying to dance, juke, and weave trying to hit a home-run every carry like he has 4.3 take-it-to-the-house speed instead of being the North-South one move-and-go running back that made him a rookie sensation.

Yeah, Hill's 1,000 yards as a rookie came quietly from mostly breaking through one arm tackles to turn 3.5 yard runs into a 5-6 yard runs. His last two years, he keeps wanting to break the big one and get on the highlight reel. Those 5-6 yard runs just aren't going to do it. He probably thinks that he has scored all of these touchdowns because he's Jeremy Hill. I don't think that he realizes that someone has to carry the ball when you are inside the 3 yard line a lot.

Get used to those TDs going to someone else Jeremy. The guy that can break the long run is now on the roster.
    Only users lose drugs

I have faith in Fisher. His issue coming out of college was a lack of strength, especially lower body strength. He was not expected to be able to hopd his ground for a couple of years, yet alone power block the Bengals' way. I've yet to see change their core strength in 3years or less at the pro level. He will do it. They do or they are out of the league. The improvement this yearr should be noticeable. He was moved around in college and excelled everywhere, but he used his speed, size and intelligence to do it. I fullly expect Fisher to be an above average O-Linema, wherever they need him, in 2018.

Notice all the Ducks went undrafted? How fast can a program fall? OSU #1 in baseball. Ohio State has one of their 4 losses 34-4. Their best team ever.

Ogbuehi has no "natural position". He was not successful at LT in college. He played mostly RT in college. He was drafted because he is a freak of nature and is physically the ideal "Bengal" LT size. He came in raw, not like Hunt, but more raw than Fisher. It's up to Alexander to teach him. Pros don't teach players, but Ogbuehi is the exception. He was a five-year project from the beginning and the results will come during the 2nd contract, affordable as a result. We just have to go through his growing pains and hope he's capable of learning the position. If he can't, Fisher can. We already know Boling can, so if he"s really bad, they can move Boling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Yeah, Hill's 1,000 yards as a rookie came quietly from mostly breaking through one arm tackles to turn 3.5 yard runs into a 5-6 yard runs. His last two years, he keeps wanting to break the big one and get on the highlight reel. Those 5-6 yard runs just aren't going to do it. He probably thinks that he has scored all of these touchdowns because he's Jeremy Hill. I don't think that he realizes that someone has to carry the ball when you are inside the 3 yard line a lot.

Get used to those TDs going to someone else Jeremy. The guy that can break the long run is now on the roster.
    Yep. The Bengals beat it into him that he can't dance. They have moved on. If he reacts the wrong way and gets mad at anyone but himself, he only justifies their moving on. If he finds humility, he can revive his career and the Bengals have his RFA rights, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    Yep. The Bengals beat it into him that he can't dance. They have moved on. If he reacts the wrong way and gets mad at anyone but himself, he only justifies their moving on. If he finds humility, he can revive his career and the Bengals have his RFA rights, etc.
    Supposedly Hill has worked extremely hard in the offseason which made me questions if we would really take Mixon. It's just that no matter how hard Jeremy trains he will never be the raw talent and speed that Mixon possesses.

Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    Supposedly Hill has worked extremely hard in the offseason which made me questions if we would really take Mixon. It's just that no matter how hard Jeremy trains he will never be the raw talent and speed that Mixon possesses.
    Working hard has nothing to do with it. Following orders/instructions is his problem, as mentioned by everyone here. The reason he fell to the 2nd Round showed up his 2nd and 3rd seasons. He tried to control his emotions for the first 8 months he was a Bengal, but like most people trying to change their behavoir, it didn't last. Hill is extremely talented, as he proved his Rookie year, but only if he runs North and South. He's worthless otherwise.

I hope Hill gets humbled, becomes the dominant North-South runner he was before in the limited snaps he gets, the Bengals tender him, and someone pays the price.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/...2-ca8b78ca7d73
    Pretty cool breakdown of what Ross' impact will be in Cincy's offense.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/...f-33eed493e3d5
    The Ross selection on the NFL Network

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/...0-1321e761dff8
    NFL Now gives their opinion of the pick as it happened.
    Only users lose drugs

A first rd pick of the Bengals that makes an impact in Week One is as rare as...

A first rd pick of the Bengals that makes an impact in Week One is as rare as...
    a modest Kardashian?

a politician that actually says what they mean