Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 121 to 141 of 141

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft Day Two

  1. #121
    I don't like what Mixon did, but I'm happy with what the Bengals did in the second day of the draft. Willis was a steal and Mixon was a first round talent. The Bengals being able to trade back and pick up an extra pick and still get the guy they wanted is a bonus. I am however unhappy that Kizer went to the Browns.

  2. #122
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    What's funny is people crying we drafted him because of character that wanted Dalvin Cook who is a flat out thug. By all accounts Mixon is a good kid and leader. The girl forgave him. Our RB coach spent a week with him. We did massive amount of due diligence. Facts do matter. Cook is an idiot.

    And the kid is a stud. He is Bell/Preston type good and with Ross we have the most dynamic, crazy fcpucking good offense in our entire history. I am literally speechless seeing what the Bengals did here. I mean, wow. Insane weapons.
    "but but but we didn't draft any olineman so it can't possibly work...."

    Yang I agree with ya 110%, this offense just took an amazing turn...I can't wait to watch them!

    and oh btw, we still have NINE picks left today! 😎
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  3. #123
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I am however unhappy that Kizer went to the Browns.
    Why? He blows
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  4. #124
    Well...since the day 3 thread is closed I'll say here that I am hoping like everyone else for Zane Gonzalez, but also for Jarron Jones, either Chad Kelly or Josh Dobbs, and then the obligatory project versatile lineman, project linebacker that can play special teams, and project sefety that can play special teams. Everything after that is icing on the cake, and in fact if I were the Bengals I would use some of the picks to either trade up and get guys they want, or trade picks for more picks next year that they could flip as trade bait next year.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Why? He blows
    Sorry but I'd be willing to be my truck I've watched more Notre Dame games than you, and no he doesn't blow. He's still very young and he has all the tools, he just needs to get out of his own head sometimes and he needs to work on his motion to improve some of his accuracy problems. Working with Hue Jackson will make him a starting NFL QB.

  6. #126
    The Center from Kentucky sounds like a guy the Bengals would draft. He's from the SEC and he was a 4 years starter and 2 time captain of the team.


    C
    Jon Toth
    6'5"
    307 lbs
    Kentucky
    4
    POS RK
    169
    OVR RK
    58
    GRADE
    What He Brings
    A team captain and four-year starter, Toth is an excellent hand fighter with good inline power. He also has the toughness and football IQ teams covet at center. He'll need to play with sound technique to mask his lack of ideal athleticism in pass protection. -- Steve Muench

  7. #127
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Sorry but I'd be willing to be my truck I've watched more Notre Dame games than you, and no he doesn't blow. He's still very young and he has all the tools, he just needs to get out of his own head sometimes and he needs to work on his motion to improve some of his accuracy problems. Working with Hue Jackson will make him a starting NFL QB.
    uh huh, sure......when's the last time a ND QB did anything in the NFL? Joe Montana?
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  8. #128
    I love the Willis pick.

    When is the day 3 thread going to be unlocked? I want to trade up, preferably for Roderick Johnson (OT, Florida State).

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    uh huh, sure......when's the last time a ND QB did anything in the NFL? Joe Montana?
    Last time they did something? Or last ones to play in the NFL?

    Steve Beuerlein played quite a while in the NFL, Kent Graham started at Notre Dame and then transferred to OSU before playing in the NFL, Rick Mirer played in the NFL, Ron Powlus was on NFL teams, Arnaz Battle actually switched from QB to play WR in the NFL quite a bit, Brady Quinn played some in the NFL, Jimmy Clausen is still in the NFL, and Kizer just got drafted in the second round.

    How many other college teams can say they have had that many guys make it to the NFL? Beuerlein played a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng career like 16 years.

    And of course when the best QB of all-time comes from Notre Dame it makes it hard to live up to.

  10. #130
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    It's got nothing to do with whether he "deserves a second chance." Sure he does. I just didn't want to be the team to give it to him. We're always the team to give second chances, and it's made us a joke.

    I understand the ethics of picking Mixon, but I also reserve the right not to feel good about it just because we'll win some football games. There are more important things than winning football games. So I believe the onus is on those who like the pick to stop complaining that some of us are raining on their parade, more so than the onus is on us to go whoopee, rah rah, sure maybe he punched a woman but he sure is fast.

    IMO, all of this righteous indignation is pretty f'ing comical when you look around at the state of the NFL in general these days.

    and I like how no one is outraged about Jourdan Lewis getting picked up last night even though he tried to choke his girlfriend out just a month ago...no video, so no one really knows about it and he's playing for the Cowboys, so it gets chalked up to boys being boys.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    IMO, all of this righteous indignation is pretty f'ing comical when you look around at the state of the NFL in general these days.

    and I like how no one is outraged about Jourdan Lewis getting picked up last night even though he tried to choke his girlfriend out just a month ago...no video, so no one really knows about it and he's playing for the Cowboys, so it gets chalked up to boys being boys.
    Well I didn't want Lewis either. And the fact there are other examples of this around the NFL is irrelevant. They don't make this any more (or less) right.

    Now that we've drafted him, my issue is more that on this board it appears far more acceptable to be gleeful about how good he'll make us and dismiss anybody who reminds you of any moral quandary, than it is to point out he punched a woman. I'd say the same thing if we'd drafted Dalvin Cook. I understand it's not a perfectly black and white issue (drafting him, that is), but the fact that pointing it out is 'comical righteous indignation' because hey, other teams do it too, while we talk about how many TDs he'll score for us is, um, problematic to say the least. I mean ralph practically said maybe the woman had it coming to her, and that was just fine (yang lit him up but that was about it).

    And those double standards you point out cut both ways. No more calling Roethlisberger Rapistberger.... I mean who are we. You realize that right?

    I think I'm going to go on to the day 3 thread and just let this process for a while. I actually have faith Mixon will turn his life around and be an upstanding member of the community, and when/if he does I'll get over this. But I'd rather this be a space where we can express reservations about woman beaters becoming millionaire athletes - yes, around the NFL, not just the Bengals - than a space where the biggest problem seems to be that our collective parade is being rained upon by some PC do-gooders.

  12. #132
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    I actually have faith Mixon will turn his life around and be an upstanding member of the community...
    me too.....and with that, I am truly done talking about moralities in the NFL.

    on to round 4!
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  13. #133
    What really bothered me was the Talking Heads' reaction to our drafting Mixon. Shit man, it sounded to me like they wanted the kid executed, not drafted. Mayock, in particular, was the most visibly shaken, saying things like "I would NEVER have drafted him", or "Okay, if you want to know about his football skills, I'll do that, but that's all I'll do". He added that over half of the teams had taken him off their boards because "Nobody should hit a woman, under ANY circumstances!". There wasn't any discussion of redemption, or change of character, or second chances. It was a guilty verdict to both Mixon, and the Bengals for drafting him. They finished it off by letting everyone know that this Mixon deal was approved by Mikey himself, so it's alright to hate the whole franchise.

    I quickly switched over to the "Mother Ship" to see their reaction, and it was almost exactly the same as the NFL Network commentators, except that they spent considerably more time expressing their displeasure and condemnation. They are the "Socialist Sports Network" after all.

    When Cook was drafted by the Vikes, his history was quickly dismissed. They all approved of that move, and explained away the "gang behavior" by saying that it was his followers that had gotten him in trouble, after all, and they were not going to be going with him to Minnesota. Double-standard? Nah.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    I love the Willis pick.

    When is the day 3 thread going to be unlocked? I want to trade up, preferably for Roderick Johnson (OT, Florida State).
    Open now.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Well I didn't want Lewis either. And the fact there are other examples of this around the NFL is irrelevant. They don't make this any more (or less) right.

    Now that we've drafted him, my issue is more that on this board it appears far more acceptable to be gleeful about how good he'll make us and dismiss anybody who reminds you of any moral quandary, than it is to point out he punched a woman. I'd say the same thing if we'd drafted Dalvin Cook. I understand it's not a perfectly black and white issue (drafting him, that is), but the fact that pointing it out is 'comical righteous indignation' because hey, other teams do it too, while we talk about how many TDs he'll score for us is, um, problematic to say the least. I mean ralph practically said maybe the woman had it coming to her, and that was just fine (yang lit him up but that was about it).

    And those double standards you point out cut both ways. No more calling Roethlisberger Rapistberger.... I mean who are we. You realize that right?

    I think I'm going to go on to the day 3 thread and just let this process for a while. I actually have faith Mixon will turn his life around and be an upstanding member of the community, and when/if he does I'll get over this. But I'd rather this be a space where we can express reservations about woman beaters becoming millionaire athletes - yes, around the NFL, not just the Bengals - than a space where the biggest problem seems to be that our collective parade is being rained upon by some PC do-gooders.
    Hey, I sympathize that we should promote the desire to not reward people who commit violent acts. Violence is never the correct answer. Our ideas should win out in the marketplace of ideas. I mean, that is why we are all hanging out on the Chess forum, right? We should oppose this game by it's very nature.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

  16. #136
    MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    What's funny is people crying we drafted him because of character that wanted Dalvin Cook who is a flat out thug. By all accounts Mixon is a good kid and leader. The girl forgave him. Our RB coach spent a week with him. We did massive amount of due diligence. Facts do matter. Cook is an idiot.

    And the kid is a stud. He is Bell/Preston type good and with Ross we have the most dynamic, crazy fcpucking good offense in our entire history. I am literally speechless seeing what the Bengals did here. I mean, wow. Insane weapons.
    People wanted Cook on here? I only stated was he better than Mixon. Plus, he was not found guilty of any of those incidents. Two were dropped and he was found not guilty unlike Mixon. Two of those incidents were in high school and dropped. Sounds like wrong person to me. So your point about him being a thug is moot.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    holy shit he paid the price already man, let it go.

    not one person has said it was ok what he did, but at what point do people get to move on?

    Your character begins to develop from birth. By the time you are 18, or 19, you have become who you are - value-wise. Busting a woman in the face, breaking multiple bones, doesn't just go away because you want to "put it all behind you".

    PacMan Jones is still spitting in peoples faces, even though Mikey Boy thinks he is a reformed citizen.

  18. #138
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    PacMan Jones is still spitting in peoples faces, even though Mikey Boy thinks he is a reformed citizen.
    yeah none of that means that Mixon can't maintain his shit and become a solid pro however....I personally believe in his contrition and think he'll be just fine here and will likely go on to be a fan favorite.

    I didn't hit a girl but I did some pretty stupid shit when I was 18 years and would hate to think how things could have turned out for me if I wasn't given a couple of different second chances along the way.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    People wanted Cook on here? I only stated was he better than Mixon. Plus, he was not found guilty of any of those incidents. Two were dropped and he was found not guilty unlike Mixon. Two of those incidents were in high school and dropped. Sounds like wrong person to me. So your point about him being a thug is moot.
    Oh, so Florida State suspends their players for full seasons, because criminal charges get dropped? Seems the logical thing to do. And "dropped" charges of torturing puppies and randomly popping of BB pellets in crowded places do not indicate "character developed from birth" (quoting our resident child psychologist above)?

    Yep, as clean as the driven snow I tell ya.

    (Just playing along with the selected piety so many internet experts espouse)
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  20. #140
    MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Oh, so Florida State suspends their players for full seasons, because criminal charges get dropped? Seems the logical thing to do. And "dropped" charges of torturing puppies and randomly popping of BB pellets in crowded places do not indicate "character developed from birth" (quoting our resident child psychologist above)?

    Yep, as clean as the driven snow I tell ya.

    (Just playing along with the selected piety so many internet experts espouse)

    So shooting a BB gun as a teenager at some property has never been done by anyone in this world? I do not know about the puppy thing, actually he was not suspended a whole season if this is what you are referring too with him. The incident with a woman happened in June 2015 and then a one day trial in Aug 2015 and found not guilty. The school then immediately reinstated him. Seems like the school jumped the gun there because he stated it was not him who hit her at the time of the incident and it was on video. Witnesses proved it was not him. Why the school suspended him is beyond me.

    Now, do not get me wrong, i do not condone anyone hitting a woman, but I believe he deserves a second chance. He did his time with the community and fulfilled his obligations to society. The woman was not all that innocent either since she pushed him and slapped him in the neck first, but if it was me, i would have walked, but that is just me. We do not know what he was thinking at the time or what went on to make him do such a thing, they said there were disparaging words exchanged. Neither guy is a saint that is for sure. Time will only tell if they continue down the criminal path. I believe in second chances, but if you keep going, then you should not be given that anymore. Pacman keeps getting those opportunities and to me he should not so people throughout the US are seeing this team as a Thug team it is all over the internet, social media when we drafted Mixon.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

  21. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Well I didn't want Lewis either. And the fact there are other examples of this around the NFL is irrelevant. They don't make this any more (or less) right.

    Now that we've drafted him, my issue is more that on this board it appears far more acceptable to be gleeful about how good he'll make us and dismiss anybody who reminds you of any moral quandary, than it is to point out he punched a woman. I'd say the same thing if we'd drafted Dalvin Cook. I understand it's not a perfectly black and white issue (drafting him, that is), but the fact that pointing it out is 'comical righteous indignation' because hey, other teams do it too, while we talk about how many TDs he'll score for us is, um, problematic to say the least. I mean ralph practically said maybe the woman had it coming to her, and that was just fine (yang lit him up but that was about it).

    And those double standards you point out cut both ways. No more calling Roethlisberger Rapistberger.... I mean who are we. You realize that right?

    I think I'm going to go on to the day 3 thread and just let this process for a while. I actually have faith Mixon will turn his life around and be an upstanding member of the community, and when/if he does I'll get over this. But I'd rather this be a space where we can express reservations about woman beaters becoming millionaire athletes - yes, around the NFL, not just the Bengals - than a space where the biggest problem seems to be that our collective parade is being rained upon by some PC do-gooders.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

    "You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •