• F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grade the draft 2017

Grade the draft 2017

I go A+

A-
    Only users lose drugs

Solid A for me.....injury concerns with Ross is the only keeping them from an A+ but I love that they had the balls to take a chance on a difference maker.

overall team speed and attitude just got one helluva jolt....and that's what was needed most overall IMO.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I went with the A- because they didn't grab a Safety. Williams screws up a coverage and flips the field at least once per game.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    I went with the A- because they didn't grab a Safety. Williams screws up a coverage and flips the field at least once per game.
    Wilson may be able to fill that position. Plus we have many CB's that could be moved to safety

Hopefully Fejedelem pushes Williams, although Wilson may have been drafted to replace him.

As much as I hate to say this, but Duke Tobin has been crushing the draft since he got here . . . some team going through a head coach/front office overhaul is going to lure him away and soon.
    Only users lose drugs

1. Ross was a reach; Bengals take really good slot receiver with top 10 pick. Said they couldn't trade down; losers make excuses for failure. Grade C+
    2. Joe Mixon: Best RB in the draft. I must be only person who doesn't care about a one time incident 3 years ago. Grade A
    3. Jordan Willis: Lots of potential here. Quality citizen who could be long term solution at DE. Grade A-
    4. Lawson, Malone, Glasgow. Grade B. Good 1st & third, but Bengals need another non-starting receiver absolutely not at all. Are they looking to cut Erickson?
    5 -7. Credit for drafting a kicker, but every other pick doesn't look to even make the roster IMO. No grade.
    Other considerations: My top 4 positions of concern for this year are, in order: LT, RT, DE, and LG. Bengals did not address OL in any noticeable way. Lose a grade level. So the B+ grade goes to C+.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Hopefully Fejedelem pushes Williams, although Wilson may have been drafted to replace him.
    I do think they really like that kid a lot so I wouldn't write it off..
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

They had some great picks like Willis and Lawson. I don't like Mixon's character but he was a great value pick on talent. Then there were some head scratchers but overall I'll give it a B, which is what I see in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    They had some great picks like Willis and Lawson.
    Willis and Lawson together have the potential to be absolutely special and make this entire draft class special....great ability, great teammates, great leaders.

I would also like to add that I would have added a QB late in the draft instead of another backup TE. I was right along with Lewdog calling for Kelly. He could have been on the PUP list, maybe placed on IR to protect him, learn the playbook for a year then let him take the #2 spot while McCarron finds his suitors. We've seen lots of interest in McCarron. Do what the Packers/Holmgren/Wolf did behind Farve, draft and develop QBs. Brunell(5th round - '93), Hasselbeck(6th round '98) and Brooks(4th round '99) were traded off and Detmer(9th round - '92) left as a free agent which would earn compensation in today's NFL.

On April 21, 1995 the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars swung the first trade in franchise history. With the NFL draft looming, they dealt their third and fifth round selections to the Green Bay Packers for QB Mark Brunell.

Detmer found more playing time after signing a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1996.

(Note: They had both Detmer and Brunell as #2 and #3 for two full seasons)

The Packers traded Aaron Brooks and tight end Lamont Hall to the Saints for linebacker K. D. Williams and the Saints' third round pick in the 2001 draft ahead of the 2000 season.

March 2, 2001 Matt Hasselbeck is acquired in a trade with the Green Bay Packers. To acquire Brett Favre’s backup, the Seahawks switch picks in the first round of that year’s NFL Draft(#9 & #10) with the Packers and also give up a third-round draft choice,#72.

They turned three late round QBs into three 3rd rounders and a 5th round pick. Now they didn't nail every QB pick but they stayed the course.

Mike Holmgren's/Ron Wolf's drafted QBs
    '92 Detmer (9th) also traded for Favre
    '93 Brunell (5th)
    '95 Jay Barker (5th)
    '96 Kyle Wacholz (7th)
    '97 Ronnie McAda (7th)
    '98 Hasselbeck (6th)
    '99 Aaron Brooks (4th) Ron Wolf pick
    ---Holmgren in Seattle 1999---
    '99 Brock Huard (3rd)
    '01 Josh Booty (6th) also traded for Hasselbeck
    '02 Jeff Kelly (7th)
    '03 Seneca Wallace (4th)
    '05 David Greene (3rd)

11 of his first 14 seasons as a head coach, Holmgren drafted a QB but still had to trade for his two starters.

As a President of the Browns
    '10 Colt McCoy (3rd)
    '12 Brandon Weeden (1st)

Clearly he had lost the plot near the end but I still agree with his theory of drafting a QB almost every year. They are a valuable commodity and the Bengals should have snagged that Kelly kid, dammit. Take advantage of having your franchise QB in place. Use a late round pick to develop a QB and have insurance in case you need to play the backup. Trade him later for higher round draft pick and draft another late rounder to groom.
    Only users lose drugs

"A" with a black cloud that won't quickly go away.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    "A" with a black cloud that won't quickly go away.
    Nicely put. But the Bengals will always have the cloud so we might as embrace it. Thug life. Boys town. Bengals.

On a side note, what's up with the love for Cody Core on this forum? Is he the same guy who got a couple starts at the end of the season and showed he was way over his head? That one game they threw him about 20 passes and he caught 3 or something. Players develop but drafting WR makes a ton of sense or us, eh? Injuries happen we know.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    Nicely put. But the Bengals will always have the cloud so we might as embrace it. Thug life. Boys town. Bengals.

On a side note, what's up with the love for Cody Core on this forum?
    It's not a love for Cody Core, it's that I don't see a lot of difference between Core and Malone. Why use a fourth round pick on a guy that isn't much of an upgrade over what you've already got and won't even be on the active roster unless someone gets hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    It's not a love for Cody Core, it's that I don't see a lot of difference between Core and Malone. Why use a fourth round pick on a guy that isn't much of an upgrade over what you've already got and won't even be on the active roster unless someone gets hurt?
    Core has also proven himself to be a worker and willing to do special teams, and he has a positive attitude and was able to handle playing second fiddle to Treadwell at Ole Miss.

I went with A-.
    1) Ross: Boom or a bust depending on his durability. If he can stay on the field, then look out. A-
    2) Mixon: Off-field incident is the only thing keeping this from being an A+. He's said he has changed, but he has to prove it. Grade: Incomplete.
    3) Willis: Fast, productive pass rusher that we've been needing. A+
    4.1) Lawson: Another effective pass rusher. With Willis and Lawson, the Bengals should go from having a below average pass rush to one of the top 10. A+
    4.2) Malone: Speedy WR who will be a backup for Green and Ross. Most likely won't see the field unless there is an injury. C
    4.3) Glasgow: Likely backup, but could compete for a starting spot at nose tackle. A-
    5.1) Elliott: Reliable kicker who will make the chip-shot field goals and extra points. Can make 50+ yarders. A
    5.2) Dielman: Versatile backup on the O-line. Not really an upgrade, but will provide depth. C+
    6.1) Evans: Good coverage linebacker who is weak against the run and not especially effective in pass rush. If he learns to play more physical, he could become a starter. B
    6.2) Wilson: Freakish athlete who should help on special teams and could develop into a backup S or CB. Another project. B+
    7) Shreck: Will compete with Uzomah and Kroft for backup spot. Likely practice squad candidate. B-
    Last edited by TD Bengals; 04-30-2017 at 11:28 AM.

C+ decent players ( I too. am troubled by Mixons past but it didnt effect my grade) but i just dont see how the whole team is going to perform well when they did nothing to address the Line positions.
    and really what difference does it make what value they are they dont play till 2-3rd year here

B+
    We drafted well - mostly picked the right guy for each position we selected. Not shoring up OL brings them down to the B+.

I do think the year of experience and offseason, plus a stud RB and Ross stretching the opposing D backfield will all improve the OL. At least I hope so ...

As an aside, I'm thinking about going to the JAX game this November. The only place I've been for Bengals away games is CLE.

I'll plagiarize Pete Prisco here because I'm lazy and he pretty much sums it up for me.

"I thought the Bengals had as good draft as any team in the league. Taking receiver John Ross with the ninth pick is a bit of a risk, but you can't coach speed. They took a different type of risk with Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon in the second round, but the kid is the best runner in the draft. They clearly looked past the assault video to take him. They then landed two good pass rushers in Kansas State Jordan Willis and Auburn's Carl Lawson, two players who will compete to start at right end. Fourth-round receiver Josh Malone from Tennessee can fly. There are some risks here, but I think they will pay off big."

Grade: A

Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals".

Every teams' picks will look great at rookie camps and OTA's.

Then, the winnowing begins: the descent from can't miss/steal to just a guy happens once the first pre-season game begins. By the time Game One happens, most are waived, on Practice Squads, IR, or healthy game day scratches. At best, the remainder are special teamers, or situational part-timers.

Then the process starts all over again for the next season.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals". ....
    Yep, grading the NFL draft the day it happens is like grading a guy's stock portfolio the very day he opens an account and makes a bunch of purchases.

I go with B+ because I still don't like the Ross pick at 1. The next three picks were solid As. I wanted Mixon from day 1. Thought he would slide to the 3rd but we moved down which was great move. Absoluteky love the Lawson pick.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

I went with A-, and here's why I add the minus:

I've let my feelings about the Mixon pick known, so won't go there again.

The Glasgow pick was a little meh. Not sure what he adds that they don't already have. I still have hopes for Brandon Thompson, and have always liked DeShawn Williams. But Ok, maybe Glasgow puts on ten pounds and is our next Krumrie.

I'll also concede that we took a fair number of medical risks, but it's just as possible that those guys (Lawson and Ross) get past their injuries and in an NFL system figure out how to stay healthy. You can't predict or control knee injuries. You could chalk Ross's shoulder injury up to being undersized, but he's got time to get stronger and prevent those things. (and he's *not* a slot receiver, as somebody said above).

I think Malone was a true value pick, as he could easily have gone on day two. Thing about Core is that his speed is build up speed, which was likely to relegate him to back up status. Just watched a little tape of Malone, and he's explosive out of the box. It's like getting Marvin Jones back, but a tad bigger and faster. Our WR corps is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Our WR corps is ridiculous.
    man, bigtime!

so are the RB's if Gio comes back healthy..

NFL folks are giving our team a solid A.We got well everywhere,I would have liked to see a top O-lineman,but in looking back,we got some studs sitting in the background and on our practice squad that I believe will be playing and playing strong.I am excited about this team.If our coaches can coach them up,we now have a chance for the division.The raven and the steelers are going to be a handful,but if we put the right people on the field and they are allow to practice a lot in training camp,we have a chance.No one in our division has seen Billing or Jackson play and I am stoked to see them start the hammer.NOT LETS GO KICK THE S---T OUT OF OUR DIVISION.

Quote Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
    NFL folks are giving our team a solid A.We got well everywhere,I would have liked to see a top O-lineman,but in looking back,we got some studs sitting in the background and on our practice squad that I believe will be playing and playing strong.I am excited about this team.If our coaches can coach them up,we now have a chance for the division.The raven and the steelers are going to be a handful,but if we put the right people on the field and they are allow to practice a lot in training camp,we have a chance.No one in our division has seen Billing or Jackson play and I am stoked to see them start the hammer.NOT LETS GO KICK THE S---T OUT OF OUR DIVISION.
    Who Dey!!!

Every team wins on Draft Day. Every team gets who they wanted/targeted/slotted. Every team has "steals".

Then, the winnowing begins: the descent from can't miss/steal to just a guy happens once the first pre-season game begins. By the time Game One happens, most are waived, on Practice Squads, IR, or healthy game day scratches. At best, the remainder are special teamers, or situational part-timers.

yep

"The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

It could be fun wearing a Schrek mask for Schreck. But, he'll be lucky if he makes the practice squad. He needs to focus every but of energy on being a Special Teams Blocker and Tackler.

You have to really, really suck as a pass rusher if you can't find success on a line that has Dunlap and Atkins on it. Often you would go unblocked. MJ should not have been in the NFL the last three seasons.

Our two new rushers will demonstrate how easy it is to get a Quarterback pressure when 3 and 4 blockers are routinely occupied by Dunlap and Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Yep, grading the NFL draft the day it happens is like grading a guy's stock portfolio the very day he opens an account and makes a bunch of purchases.
    That's true. But, it's easier to say his portfolio sucks than it does to say it has great promise. With Stocks there's ten times more certainty than NFL prospects. But, it's what fans do when Week 1 is five months away.

My spouse asked me today what winnowing meant. I said that I hadn't used it in a sentence before, but I'm guessing it means to lightly brush your hand across the tops of the seedlings to carefully detach the roots. Better look it up, though. Now I have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    I think Malone was a true value pick, as he could easily have gone on day two. Thing about Core is that his speed is build up speed, which was likely to relegate him to back up status. Just watched a little tape of Malone, and he's explosive out of the box. It's like getting Marvin Jones back, but a tad bigger and faster. Our WR corps is ridiculous.
    Malone's speed was first recorded as build-up speed, explaining that he had trouble getting off the line against better talent and was not productive on routes other than go's. Nice to see a different eval of him. I truly feel that the Bengals did by a marathon mile their best due diligence with scouting than any draft before and as a result, I think it will end up being a Top-7 draft of all time.

If they had taken 12 guys I have had never heard of and everyone gave them an "F" grade, I'd still feel the same because of their preparation and what seems to me, a solid execution afterwards.

pretty much

My spouse asked me today what winnowing meant. I said that I hadn't used it in a sentence before, but I'm guessing it means to lightly brush your hand across the tops of the seedlings to carefully detach the roots. Better look it up, though. Now I have to look it up.
    Close as to the definition. It is analogous to "separating the wheat from the chaff".
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

B+ for me, a really good draft with high speed everywhere but still leave us with "big ugly" problem

we are four deep at DT with Atkins, Billings, Dean, Hardison, Sims, Thompson and now Glasgow
    we are four deep at DE with Brown, Clarke, Dunlap, Gilberry, Johnson, Smith, Willis and Lawson
    but
    we are just a very thin and unproved two deep at OL with

1st stringers: ogbuehi - boling - bodine - smith - fisher
    2nd: hopkins-westermann-johnson-redmond-winston
    3rd: dielman

question: who is gonna to play in preseason without the risk to injuring our starters?
    Last edited by #1 italian fan; 05-02-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    I went with "B" because I'm not crazy about all the "ifs" associated with it.

If he can stay healthy...with a couple of picks
    If he can stay out of trouble...

Also, given what was still available when our first pick came up, I think we could have done better..

I hope they all pan out.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

yeah, and I am partial to wide recievers that get open and catch the ball. I am not opposed to developing prospects and letting them compete. Malone as way more upsides imho.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

Amelia lay prone on the floor of a place called Pickleman's, her famous football-playing assailant having long since bailed, friends and onlookers trying to help and comfort, and her face in a mangled mess of broken jaw and cheek bones.

From there, things got worse. Physically. Eight hours of surgery. A jaw wired shut for weeks. A steady liquid diet. Numbness in her face for six months.

Emotionally. Her Twitter and Facebook accounts were deleted. Too much harassment. Her phone number had to be changed. It'd be shared on Sooner message boards. She quit her job. Too many people. Too many reporters.

She returned to class, mere weeks after being knocked down out. Bravely. Courageously. But still the attention. The dread. Walks across campus while enduring looks from strangers. The snide comments from students when she'd slump down in a lecture hall seat, her jaw wired shut and her voice rendered silent.

Ameila isolated herself, withdrawing from campus organizations, never socializing, and finally taking a job that guaranteed that she could work alone. Eventually, her friends would coax her out of her shell, although only when it was just the girls, though. Amelia couldn't trust men enough to even get close.

Forget football. The girl who bled crimson and cream - who as a young child had begged her family to take a trip to see the Sooners in a bowl game - couldn't bear to even watch, much less go see them in person. Season tickets were relinquished. Plans for her little brother to join big sis at the same school were scrapped.

And yet, she stayed with it.. The famous football player who knocked her out, his defense attorneys that tried to smear her in the name of his defense, the OU fans who'd take to aiwaves and keyboard to blame the victim, they couldn't deter her. Try as they might, and as tempting as quitting often was, Amelia stayed in school.

Eventually, graduation would approach, but not without having to revisit the incident a few more times. A video of the punch was released. More trolls hid behind their keyboards. More lawyers tried to misdirect blame.

The guy who punched her will play for the Cincinnati Bengals this fall.

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/mo-...-and-15785946/