View Poll Results: Grade the draft 2017

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

    2 11.11%
  • A

    5 27.78%
  • A-

    3 16.67%
  • B+

    4 22.22%
  • B

    2 11.11%
  • B-

    0 0%
  • C+

    2 11.11%
  • C

    0 0%
  • C-

    0 0%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 41 to 77 of 77

Thread: Grade the draft 2017

  1. #41
    I'm guessing MJ and his $3.55M gets cut.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

    "You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    Amelia lay prone on the floor of a place called Pickleman's, her famous football-playing assailant having long since bailed, friends and onlookers trying to help and comfort, and her face in a mangled mess of broken jaw and cheek bones.

    From there, things got worse. Physically. Eight hours of surgery. A jaw wired shut for weeks. A steady liquid diet. Numbness in her face for six months.

    Emotionally. Her Twitter and Facebook accounts were deleted. Too much harassment. Her phone number had to be changed. It'd be shared on Sooner message boards. She quit her job. Too many people. Too many reporters.

    She returned to class, mere weeks after being knocked down out. Bravely. Courageously. But still the attention. The dread. Walks across campus while enduring looks from strangers. The snide comments from students when she'd slump down in a lecture hall seat, her jaw wired shut and her voice rendered silent.

    Ameila isolated herself, withdrawing from campus organizations, never socializing, and finally taking a job that guaranteed that she could work alone. Eventually, her friends would coax her out of her shell, although only when it was just the girls, though. Amelia couldn't trust men enough to even get close.

    Forget football. The girl who bled crimson and cream - who as a young child had begged her family to take a trip to see the Sooners in a bowl game - couldn't bear to even watch, much less go see them in person. Season tickets were relinquished. Plans for her little brother to join big sis at the same school were scrapped.

    And yet, she stayed with it.. The famous football player who knocked her out, his defense attorneys that tried to smear her in the name of his defense, the OU fans who'd take to aiwaves and keyboard to blame the victim, they couldn't deter her. Try as they might, and as tempting as quitting often was, Amelia stayed in school.

    Eventually, graduation would approach, but not without having to revisit the incident a few more times. A video of the punch was released. More trolls hid behind their keyboards. More lawyers tried to misdirect blame.

    The guy who punched her will play for the Cincinnati Bengals this fall.

    http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/mo-...-and-15785946/
    I've kept quiet about this, but from what I saw in the video, if she doesn't push him or smack him in the face, nothing happens. Maybe he hits another girl down the road, I don't know. But what I do know is that not one person on this planet should ever think that they can hit someone without getting hit back.

    He didn't beat her, he hit her back.

    Once.

    This isn't a Greg Hardy situation or Lawrence Phillips beating a girl and dragging her down the stairs by her hair. The girl called him over to the table she was at, he waited for a few seconds, they talked, he was turning to leave and she pushed him. It looks like he spit on her(he claims he didn't spit, it was just a feint punch), then she spits in his face, hits him in the face and he decks her then walks out.

    She's from a rich family and has a criminal record as a drug dealer who was drunk and high that night, as were all of her friends. Charges weren't pressed and he wasn't arrested for two weeks because they later found out that he was a top recruit to go to OU and would probably go to the NFL. Joe Mixon's lawyers released the video because her powerful family kept the video suppressed for two years. Why? Because the video didn't match her story of "he walked up and hit me out of the blue" and showed what I laid out in the paragraph above. She also claimed that a group of people outside in the parking lot called her gay friend a faggot and after Mixon came over he called her friend a faggot . . . none of the other witnesses claimed he said anything of the sort and none of the witnesses corroborated her story but the police still charged him based solely on her statement because of her powerful family.

    Regrettable situation but the kid was 18, he hasn't done anything since . . . time to move on.
    Only users lose drugs

  3. #43
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    found this out there floating around, thought it was interesting...


    Bengals crew, good afternoon. I'm a Sooner fan stopping by to drop some nuggets on Joe Mixon. The main reason I wanted to post was to add a little bit more context to the Mixon situation, correct one or two misconceptions, and opine on a few other factors relating to Joe.

    First and foremost, Joe paid a steep price for his misdeed. It wasn't merely a "redshirt year"; Joe was kicked off the team for the duration of the suspension. That means no facilities, no trainers, no meetings/coaching, no travel. He worked community service, he went to counseling, and...incredibly...he chose to stay at the University instead of transferring away from his problems. My guess is that his decision tells you a lot about how he approaches problems. He chose the hard road that meant putting in extra work and serving out his punishment instead of transferring. And we haven't even talked about the obvious contract implications (dropping from a first rounder to a second rounder). And we haven't talked about the dearth of endorsement deals. He needed to pay for this. He did.

    Second, one of the media misconceptions on Mixon is that this was a case of "domestic violence". You guys all know this intuitively, but a few media members struggle with this concept...when it's not a home-related incident, it's not domestic violence. This isn't Ray Rice, or any other player, making a choice to attack their spouse. This was a one-time, snap-decision response to a person slapping him. Joe made the wrong choice, a truly horrific one, and he'll be apologizing for it for the rest of his life.

    Third, Media members are scrambling to fit this 2014 incident into their narrative. Several of you have made this point, but it bears repeating: media will not let this case go...because it's the easiest way to generate clicks/interest/ad revenue. It's so frighteningly consumable...a video!...man hits woman!...star football player!...it's the gift that keeps on giving to the media, and you will see them re-hash this story in increasingly bizarre and creative ways in the years to come. Enjoy.

    Here's something that needs to be corrected: as recently as this weekend, ESPN "talent" (specifically Kavitha Davidson) reported that there were *new* allegations that Joe had hit a girl in high school. That's false. That claim is years old, and it was retracted by the individual who made the claim. Here's a portion of the retraction:

    "My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I was mistaken about Joe’s involvement. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so. Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime."

    So we have an ESPN reporter...putting out information that has been retracted...and damaging his character without merit. That's the level of reporting we're seeing around the Mixon incident at the national level.

    To wrap things up a bit...I've always felt a need to defend Joe. Not from the incident itself, as he deserved punishment, but from the character assassination that came with it. Everyone does bad things. Joe did an especially terrible thing. But let's be clear: if you want to be honest with yourself and say that the *worst moment* of your life has been caught on tape, made public, and virally consumed...I'd bet you'd tell me that you are more than just that one moment. And that you've learned from it. We should give Joe the same grace that we'd ask for ourselves.

    A few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Joe's high school coach, his school administrators, his father, and Joe himself. The high school posse raved about his character. Joe is a quiet guy. He talks a lot on the field, he's got a big social media presence, but in reality, he's a soft-spoken individual. The OU coaches will tell you that they would have made Joe a captain but knew that the media would give them loads of hell. But that's the kind of presence that he had in the locker room - peacemaker, workout leader, not a hot head.

    You got a great player. Be content with that. Sorry about the media ****storm. Best to you guys in 2017.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  4. #44
    Spicoli, I'm sure this is well intended, but where it loses me is that it implicitly makes Mixon the victim. The endorsement deals and perks of being on a DI scholarship and being drafted into the NFL at all are privileges, not entitlements. Going in the second round instead of the first is not a punishment. Not making millions on endorsements is not something he "paid." Even access to state of the art facilities at OU is a privilege.

    I agree he deserves a second chance, and I can even wrap my mind around drafting him. But let's make sure that in our own need to feel good about rooting for him we don't become overly apologetic. He's not a victim.

  5. #45
    He's not a criminal, either. But let's make sure that in our own need to feel good about condemning him that we not look past all of the facts.
    Only users lose drugs

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    I've kept quiet about this, but from what I saw in the video, if she doesn't push him or smack him in the face, nothing happens. Maybe he hits another girl down the road, I don't know. But what I do know is that not one person on this planet should ever think that they can hit someone without getting hit back.

    He didn't beat her, he hit her back.

    Once.

    This isn't a Greg Hardy situation or Lawrence Phillips beating a girl and dragging her down the stairs by her hair. The girl called him over to the table she was at, he waited for a few seconds, they talked, he was turning to leave and she pushed him. It looks like he spit on her(he claims he didn't spit, it was just a feint punch), then she spits in his face, hits him in the face and he decks her then walks out.

    She's from a rich family and has a criminal record as a drug dealer who was drunk and high that night, as were all of her friends. Charges weren't pressed and he wasn't arrested for two weeks because they later found out that he was a top recruit to go to OU and would probably go to the NFL. Joe Mixon's lawyers released the video because her powerful family kept the video suppressed for two years. Why? Because the video didn't match her story of "he walked up and hit me out of the blue" and showed what I laid out in the paragraph above. She also claimed that a group of people outside in the parking lot called her gay friend a faggot and after Mixon came over he called her friend a faggot . . . none of the other witnesses claimed he said anything of the sort and none of the witnesses corroborated her story but the police still charged him based solely on her statement because of her powerful family.

    Regrettable situation but the kid was 18, he hasn't done anything since . . . time to move on.
    This is pathetic. Men are bigger and stronger than women, so no, it's not okay to punch them if they slap or spit on you. You walk away. Like a man.

    It's one thing to justify drafting Mixon, but whole different thing to justify what he did. And to make her the villain. And yes, that's what you're doing.

    Mixon himself, in his apology press conference, said that he understood there was never a good reason to hit a woman. He stood up and took ownership of it, and didn't justify anything like you are here. He apologized profusely to his mother. Do us a favor, and show your mother what you just posted here.

    It wasn't a "regrettable situation." Just say what he did was wrong (like he did), but that you vote for giving him a second chance. So do I. But stop justifying things.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    This is pathetic. Men are bigger and stronger than women, so no, it's not okay to punch them if they slap or spit on you. You walk away. Like a man.

    It's one thing to justify drafting Mixon, but whole different thing to justify what he did. And to make her the villain. And yes, that's what you're doing.

    Mixon himself, in his apology press conference, said that he understood there was never a good reason to hit a woman. He stood up and took ownership of it, and didn't justify anything like you are here. He apologized profusely to his mother. Do us a favor, and show your mother what you just posted here.

    It wasn't a "regrettable situation." Just say what he did was wrong (like he did), but that you vote for giving him a second chance. So do I. But stop justifying things.
    Stop justifying things . . . like saying that men are bigger and stronger and should walk away if they get hit by a woman? What law states that?

    And what else is he going to say? He wanted to put it behind him and move on(something that you appear to be incapable of). Taking the case to the media isn't going to put it behind him, it's going to drag it out.

    And my Mom . . . LOL I already know what she would say "She should have never hit him". My Mom and Step-dad owned a bar from 72-76 in Covington and in '73 it became a biker bar, not by their choice, so my mom got into a lot of scraps and her stance was always the same. Man enough to throw a punch. Man enough to take one.

    "But what I do know is that not one person on this planet should ever think that they can hit someone without getting hit back."

    Who do you think taught me that? My Mom.

    You're basing this on "You should never hit a girl" . . . I'm saying no one should hit anyone. So who's the one trying to justify her hitting him first? You are. You think more like a scared woman than my Mom.
    Only users lose drugs

  8. #48
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    Spicoli, I'm sure this is well intended, but...
    Man lighten up....I was just sharing something I found to add a little perspective, I'm not trying to say he didn't deserve everything he's went through....after all that took place however, even the victim forgave him and wished him well....why can't you?
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  9. #49
    You don't hit a woman period. Especially an unarmed woman sitting in a chair at a restaurant, period.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    You don't hit a woman period. Especially an unarmed woman sitting in a chair at a restaurant, period.
    So you haven't seen the video either.

    Didn't you say that you're taking law courses? What's the law on hitting women? Or is it a law about hitting anyone?
    Only users lose drugs

  11. #51
    war-damn-tiger #1 italian fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mantua, Italy
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    we are just a very thin and unproved two deep at OL with

    1st stringers: ogbuehi - boling - bodine - smith - fisher
    2nd: hopkins-westermann-johnson-redmond-winston
    3rd: dielman

    question: who is gonna to play in preseason without the risk to injuring our starters?
    Update
    3rd stringers: JJ Dielman (C Utah) - Kent Perkins (RG Texas) - Landon Lechler (RT, NDSU)

  12. #52
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    You don't hit a woman period. Especially an unarmed woman sitting in a chair at a restaurant, period.
    um, huh? she wasn't "sitting in a chair", she was up in his face pushing, slapping and calling him racial slurs....not saying she deserved to be knocked the #### out by any means but there has to be at least a little culpability there on her part.

    my whole argument with this situation is the fact that one split second reaction by an 18 year old college kid to a bad situation 3 years ago should not define this young man's life....to a man, everyone associated with him has said that he has taken full responsibility for the situation and has been nothing but a positive influence not just on the team but in the community as well....how is that, plus all of the court sanctions, plus all of the fall out not enough? especially considering the victim has even said that he's been through enough and offered forgiveness.....at what point do people get over this shit and move on??
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  13. #53
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    oh and one other thing...I am sick to ####ing death of hearing "well I was brought up to never lay a hand on a woman" .....well that's great, so was I, does that mean that Mixon was too though? how do we know that he didn't grow up watching mamma get slapped around by the old man on a daily basis? never assume that everyone was brought up the same way you were.....excuses? no .....mitigating circumstances? it certainly could be.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    So you haven't seen the video either.

    Didn't you say that you're taking law courses? What's the law on hitting women? Or is it a law about hitting anyone?
    I don't hit anyone. Ive seen the video. His age and those circumstances barely mitigate anything. If a manhits me ill defend myself. Vigorously. If a man hits someone defenseless in my presence, same deal.
    If a woman assaults me im going to walk away if possible. If that means you and your Mom think less of me I can live with that. For a trained athlete who is in great condition this is the standard of behavior. Im certainly NOT going to take behavioral cues from gang culture.
    Dona eis Requiem

  15. #55
    Were charges ever filed against the girl? Obviously we don't know exactly what took place before the video, but in the video she appears to attack him first?

  16. #56
    Sith Lord ralphmtsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida-- but pining for a real winter
    Posts
    5,875
    If you are going to assault someone like this girl did (spitting, verbal and pushing), she should have realized that she could be hit back. I'm not condoning it, but it someone spit at me or pushed me, I'm going to defend myself. I don't care if it is a girl or a thug biker. That person is going to get shoved, punched, kicked or whatever. Most likely, I'm going to grab them by the scruff of their collar, throw them down to the ground, and then walk away. I'm not going to start a physical altercation, but by God I'm not going to sit there and take it.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    So you haven't seen the video either.

    Didn't you say that you're taking law courses? What's the law on hitting women? Or is it a law about hitting anyone?
    I've seen the video, and there is a difference between the law, and having morals. She was not a threat to him for her to deserve to be punched in the face hard enough to actually break bones. Do you understand how hard of a hit that is?

  18. #58
    Ok, she wasn't SITTING at a table but she was bent over the table... and whatever she said or did was about 2 seconds before he laid his best punch on her. She pushed him and slapped his NECK not even his FACE! So quit talking this bullshit about him needing to defend himself. He simply could have just walked away. NOTHING in the video shows he was in any real danger.


  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    Were charges ever filed against the girl? Obviously we don't know exactly what took place before the video, but in the video she appears to attack him first?
    I don't think that any of these guys understand that. I pointed out that she has a criminal record and everybody already looked past that but most of them can't look past self defense and no crime committed by an 18 yo. He did NOTHING illegal. There is no law against striking women. There is a law against hitting a person first, no law against hitting someone back.

    Funny how Sladex says that he doesn't take behavioral cues from gang culture, but at the same time act as if his "standard of behavior" is a law. The kid did nothing illegal but oooooooh he broke a standard of behavior clause. Sounds like someone that grew up with a Dad in the home. Mixon did not have that luxury. His Mom raised 5 kids by herself. He had to learn a lot of "right and wrong" outside the house. He got a big dose of that at 18. EIGHTEEN.

    Like I said before, time to move on.
    Only users lose drugs

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Ok, she wasn't SITTING at a table but she was bent over the table... and whatever she said or did was about 2 seconds before he laid his best punch on her. She pushed him and slapped his NECK not even his FACE! So quit talking this bullshit about him needing to defend himself. He simply could have just walked away. NOTHING in the video shows he was in any real danger.

    Needing to defend himself? No. He did not NEED to defend himself.

    Have his rights thrown out because it's a female that assaults him? Not just no, but Hell no. Good luck trying to prove that in a courtroom.

    I think that they both learned something that night.
    Only users lose drugs

  21. #61
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post

    I think that they both learned something that night.
    no truer words
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  22. #62
    war-damn-tiger #1 italian fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mantua, Italy
    Posts
    2,742
    Former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon reached a civil settlement agreement Friday with the woman he punched almost three years ago ... end of story

  23. #63
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 italian fan View Post
    end of story
    hallelujah!!
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  24. #64
    It is immoral to respond to words with violence against that person unless it was self defense. Just stop the apologetics. He was wrong. End. Stop. My lord people. He was wrong. I was immoral and there is no defense for his action.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

  25. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Needing to defend himself? No. He did not NEED to defend himself.

    Have his rights thrown out because it's a female that assaults him? Not just no, but Hell no. Good luck trying to prove that in a courtroom.

    I think that they both learned something that night.
    Ok let me explain this to you in legal terms. It takes two parts of a crime in order to convict someone, Mens Rea and Actus Reus. Mens Rea basically means that a person has intent, and Actus Reus means they committed the action. On that night Mixon admitted that him and the girl had some kind of argument outside the restaurant that upset him so much that he felt compelled to go inside to confront her. Right there he committed Mens Rea. He could have simply just left, but instead being a hot head he went inside. Then while inside they got into another confrontation, which would have been avoided if Mixon hadn't gone in the restaurant, at which point he took a violent swing at the girl's face breaking bones. He then committed Actus Reus. So a couple things here. Why couldn't he claim self-defense? Well for one he PUT HIMSELF IN THE SITUATION INTENTIONALLY knowing they had already had a confrontation. Secondly, in any court of law a jury is not going to watch that tape and decide that the actions of that girl in that tape justified Mixon's violent punch to the face.

    Let's put this in perspective, if any person in the criminal justice system did what Mixon did, to an unarmed female, or male, punching them in the face and breaking bones in their face, not only would they be fired, they would be prosecuted for assault, and their careers would be over.

    Now he deserves a second chance, and the fact he just now settled an agreement with her is kind of funny... almost as if they were waiting for him to get drafted to get enough money to pay her off... but let's quit forgiving people for constantly breaking the law. Every time you minimize the actions of someone to justify giving them a second chance you're just opening the door to continue to forgive future actions and never really hold someone accountable. Which seems to be what Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have fallen into.

  26. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Ok let me explain this to you in legal terms. It takes two parts of a crime in order to convict someone, Mens Rea and Actus Reus. Mens Rea basically means that a person has intent, and Actus Reus means they committed the action. On that night Mixon admitted that him and the girl had some kind of argument outside the restaurant that upset him so much that he felt compelled to go inside to confront her. Right there he committed Mens Rea. He could have simply just left, but instead being a hot head he went inside. Then while inside they got into another confrontation, which would have been avoided if Mixon hadn't gone in the restaurant, at which point he took a violent swing at the girl's face breaking bones. He then committed Actus Reus. So a couple things here. Why couldn't he claim self-defense? Well for one he PUT HIMSELF IN THE SITUATION INTENTIONALLY knowing they had already had a confrontation.
    He didn't go to confront her. She went inside to talk to the guy he came there with. Which is who Mixon went inside to go talk to.
    Joe Mixon tells his side to the police which includes the confrontation in the parking lot.

    Here is the fuzz explaining her side to Mixon

    Here's her lawyer constantly making her stick to the script

    About 15 minutes it jumps ahead about one minute, strange to omit one minute out of a 52 minute video
    Just before the half hour mark, her lawyer claims the Hernandez accusations in high school as fact(he later recanted his accusations)
    It looked like to me that . . .
    He walked in and she called him over. He stood there and definitely not looking confrontational. The witness at the table said that the gay kid motioned to Mixon and said "Can you believe this N____R?" to the witness. He did admit that's when he called her friend a faggot when he was turning to leave, but what I've learned is you can say anything and still no one is allowed to touch you. So when he turns to leave and says that, SHE pushes him, escalating the situation by turning it into a physical altercation. If she doesn't push him, he's walking out the door. He fakes a punch to scare her off and she smacks him.
    We both could have handled things differently. I believe if we had a chance to go back to that moment in time, the situation would not have ended the way it did.
    That's her words from last week and that's pretty much right along with what I was saying from my first post on this topic.

    18 years old, man. It was in July, before he even went to his first class at OU. That'll be over three years since the incident when the season starts. Three full school years ago.
    Secondly, in any court of law a jury is not going to watch that tape and decide that the actions of that girl in that tape justified Mixon's violent punch to the face.

    Let's put this in perspective, if any person in the criminal justice system did what Mixon did, to an unarmed female, or male, punching them in the face and breaking bones in their face, not only would they be fired, they would be prosecuted for assault, and their careers would be over.
    Why would someone in the criminal justice system be under harsher laws than an 18 year old student? How many 18 year old attorneys are there making rash decisions at 2:40 in the morning? Quit acting like your opinion equates to fact. Did you ever watch the OJ trial or the Rodney King verdict? Who predicted those outcomes?
    Now after watching all of that crap, I'm going to go watch some Sinatra hosting the Tonight show(George Burns, Angie Dickinson, Carroll O'Conner and the great Don Rickles) and then enjoy the rest of my evening recording records into my computer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYE6JRzqq70
    Only users lose drugs

  27. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    He didn't go to confront her. She went inside to talk to the guy he came there with. Which is who Mixon went inside to go talk to.
    Joe Mixon tells his side to the police which includes the confrontation in the parking lot.

    Here is the fuzz explaining her side to Mixon

    Here's her lawyer constantly making her stick to the script

    About 15 minutes it jumps ahead about one minute, strange to omit one minute out of a 52 minute video
    Just before the half hour mark, her lawyer claims the Hernandez accusations in high school as fact(he later recanted his accusations)
    It looked like to me that . . .
    He walked in and she called him over. He stood there and definitely not looking confrontational. The witness at the table said that the gay kid motioned to Mixon and said "Can you believe this N____R?" to the witness. He did admit that's when he called her friend a faggot when he was turning to leave, but what I've learned is you can say anything and still no one is allowed to touch you. So when he turns to leave and says that, SHE pushes him, escalating the situation by turning it into a physical altercation. If she doesn't push him, he's walking out the door. He fakes a punch to scare her off and she smacks him.That's her words from last week and that's pretty much right along with what I was saying from my first post on this topic.

    18 years old, man. It was in July, before he even went to his first class at OU. That'll be over three years since the incident when the season starts. Three full school years ago.
    Why would someone in the criminal justice system be under harsher laws than an 18 year old student? How many 18 year old attorneys are there making rash decisions at 2:40 in the morning? Quit acting like your opinion equates to fact. Did you ever watch the OJ trial or the Rodney King verdict? Who predicted those outcomes?
    Now after watching all of that crap, I'm going to go watch some Sinatra hosting the Tonight show(George Burns, Angie Dickinson, Carroll O'Conner and the great Don Rickles) and then enjoy the rest of my evening recording records into my computer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYE6JRzqq70
    It is a FACT. If anyone in Law Enforcement or some sort of Criminal Justice position would have violently hit an unarmed person that simply pushed and threw a slap at them, they would not only be fired, they would be sued by the victim, they would be crucified by the public, and they would be charged with assault. FACT.

    You are equating the Rodney king trial to this? Are you kidding?

  28. #68
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,686
    everybody just stop.

    move on.

    for all of our sakes.

    if he ####s up, THEN we can rehash it.

    enough is enough.

    signed
    Spicoli (aka the big Kahuna)
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

  29. #69
    Yes. Time to move on.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

    "You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

  30. #70
    As you all may know, I work in the field of civil litigation. This is not the same As criminal, mind you. Criminal requires beyond reasonable doubt. Civil only a preponderance of evidence. And, no one is found "guilty"or "not guilty" in civil--rather a finding for or against a Plaintiff.

    In this case--and I have read the filings in the civil litigation for this incident--the girl (Plaintiff) sued Mixon for certain constitutional rights violations, aimed at making him liable to her for acts of "negligence", "wanton and willful conduct" and "intention infliction of emotional distress". Curiously, even with the video, the court found inconsistencies in both the Plaintiff's and the witnesses' accounts. And, since Plaintiff's lawyers failed to add the violation of "battery" as a cause of action, they dismissed the counts of "negligence" and WW Conduct".

    I haven't found the details of the settlement between the two, however it is reasonable to believe she may have had a more difficult time convincing a jury of those violations. I see this situation several times a year--Showdown until someone monetarily blinks.

    I also see, in the original complaint (filed in California, where Mixon has residence) that she sued the restaurant where the incident occurred too. "Insufficient security". They did not show up in the Oklahoma re-filed case--leading me to believe they may have paid something to her as well. I still have not seen who ponied up the money for Mixon, unless he had his own insurance. The University was not sued, so they would have no skin in the game--or any obligation to defend or pay on Mixon's behalf. I will keep looking.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  31. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    As you all may know, I work in the field of civil litigation. This is not the same As criminal, mind you. Criminal requires beyond reasonable doubt. Civil only a preponderance of evidence. And, no one is found "guilty"or "not guilty" in civil--rather a finding for or against a Plaintiff.

    In this case--and I have read the filings in the civil litigation for this incident--the girl (Plaintiff) sued Mixon for certain constitutional rights violations, aimed at making him liable to her for acts of "negligence", "wanton and willful conduct" and "intention infliction of emotional distress". Curiously, even with the video, the court found inconsistencies in both the Plaintiff's and the witnesses' accounts. And, since Plaintiff's lawyers failed to add the violation of "battery" as a cause of action, they dismissed the counts of "negligence" and WW Conduct".

    I haven't found the details of the settlement between the two, however it is reasonable to believe she may have had a more difficult time convincing a jury of those violations. I see this situation several times a year--Showdown until someone monetarily blinks.

    I also see, in the original complaint (filed in California, where Mixon has residence) that she sued the restaurant where the incident occurred too. "Insufficient security". They did not show up in the Oklahoma re-filed case--leading me to believe they may have paid something to her as well. I still have not seen who ponied up the money for Mixon, unless he had his own insurance. The University was not sued, so they would have no skin in the game--or any obligation to defend or pay on Mixon's behalf. I will keep looking.
    I'd bet his agent ponied up the money so she would take less now, before he got his first contract and was worth more money.

  32. #72
    LT, asking out of pure legal ignorance here, but since she was asking for around $75,000 and two of her three complaints/accusation/charges were dropped, does that mean she was left to fight for $25,000 or did she still have a claim for the full lot? Outside of smoking weed(which is now legal in Alaska), I don't break the law so this whole process is new to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It is a FACT. If anyone in Law Enforcement or some sort of Criminal Justice position would have violently hit an unarmed person that simply pushed and threw a slap at them, they would not only be fired, they would be sued by the victim, they would be crucified by the public, and they would be charged with assault. FACT.

    You are equating the Rodney king trial to this? Are you kidding?
    No. I'm equating your confidence in what you think is right or wrong to all of the legal experts that said on TV everyday how those cases were going to end and almost everyone of those lawyers blabbing on TV were flat out wrong. No one called the verdict on Rodney King and the only reason Greta Van Susteren went from occasional CNN contributor to a full time co-hosting gig was because she was the only one on TV that said from the beginning that OJ Simpson had a good chance to walk. All of the other "legal experts" were left with dumb looks on their faces and nothing to say after months of "open/shut case".

    I'm done

    I watched my first Joe Mixon highlight reel earlier today, WOW!
    The catches at 2:10 and 3:40 have me excited to see him play.

    He reminds me of a cross between Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk. They all seem to have/had a gear that no other RBs possess.
    Only users lose drugs

  33. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    LT, asking out of pure legal ignorance here, but since she was asking for around $75,000 and two of her three complaints/accusation/charges were dropped, does that mean she was left to fight for $25,000 or did she still have a claim for the full lot? Outside of smoking weed(which is now legal in Alaska), I don't break the law so this whole process is new to me.


    No. I'm equating your confidence in what you think is right or wrong to all of the legal experts that said on TV everyday how those cases were going to end and almost everyone of those lawyers blabbing on TV were flat out wrong. No one called the verdict on Rodney King and the only reason Greta Van Susteren went from occasional CNN contributor to a full time co-hosting gig was because she was the only one on TV that said from the beginning that OJ Simpson had a good chance to walk. All of the other "legal experts" were left with dumb looks on their faces and nothing to say after months of "open/shut case".

    I'm done

    I watched my first Joe Mixon highlight reel earlier today, WOW!
    The catches at 2:10 and 3:40 have me excited to see him play.

    He reminds me of a cross between Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk. They all seem to have/had a gear that no other RBs possess.
    A lot of changes has occurred in the legal system since the Rodney King trial, not just in general, but specifically related to and because of it. At this point I'm not arguing with you but giving you some history and background. Because of the outcome of the Rodney King beating and subsequent trial, the then mayor of Los Angeles, Tom Bradley set up the Christopher Commission which investigated every aspect of the LAPD and set up new guidelines that would forever change the police force there and cause a ripple of change across the entire country.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/18...ng-change.html

    It is important to note, that part of the reason that the beating of King made such an impact, was because it was one of the first ever captured on video and shared throughout the media, which is now something that is very common place, and a major reason just why so many of the bad law enforcement that use excessive force get weeded out by the ever recording eye of the public today. It seems there are cameras everywhere and everyone these days has a cell phone that can start recording in seconds.

  34. #74
    Pre: in most states, there is a de facto "threshold" of an amount asked for in what are called "compensatory damages". The demand in this case wasn't just $75k, it was "in excess of" $75k...meaning the court would have to allow awards of any amount past $75k. Comp damages are for medical costs, physical injury(in this case), emotional suffering, and such. They also probably sought punitive damages--those being a "punishment" award for outrageous acts. Insurance does not pay puni's, so any settlement did not include these for sure. In short: she could have been awarded any sum a jury would have deemed appropriate.

    Lew: an agent operates in the interest of a client, but unless he decided on his own to finance a settlement, he certainly would have had no obligation to do so. Again, I have no clue where Mixon's money came from. Courts officially do not care who pays the freight for settlements, but for mediations and court-ordered settlement conferences, they want all "parties with settlement authority" have to show up. Usually, that is insurance, but I was thinking how doubtful an 18-year old college student/athlete would have the sort of personal liability insurance needed at the time of the incident. Remember: he could not have gotten insurance AFTER the incident in order to cover this event--as it would have occurred prior to the inception date of the policy. Like I said, I am going to see if the source of the funding ever shows up.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

  35. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    Pre: in most states, there is a de facto "threshold" of an amount asked for in what are called "compensatory damages". The demand in this case wasn't just $75k, it was "in excess of" $75k...meaning the court would have to allow awards of any amount past $75k. Comp damages are for medical costs, physical injury(in this case), emotional suffering, and such. They also probably sought punitive damages--those being a "punishment" award for outrageous acts. Insurance does not pay puni's, so any settlement did not include these for sure. In short: she could have been awarded any sum a jury would have deemed appropriate.

    Lew: an agent operates in the interest of a client, but unless he decided on his own to finance a settlement, he certainly would have had no obligation to do so. Again, I have no clue where Mixon's money came from. Courts officially do not care who pays the freight for settlements, but for mediations and court-ordered settlement conferences, they want all "parties with settlement authority" have to show up. Usually, that is insurance, but I was thinking how doubtful an 18-year old college student/athlete would have the sort of personal liability insurance needed at the time of the incident. Remember: he could not have gotten insurance AFTER the incident in order to cover this event--as it would have occurred prior to the inception date of the policy. Like I said, I am going to see if the source of the funding ever shows up.
    Well there are a few things here. Many times places will give athletes loans based solely on the idea of them getting drafted. So it could have come from that. I do believe however it more than likely came from his agent. Peter Schaffer is Mixon's agent, who was part of a reality tv show and apparently has some big name clients. So logically it would be smart for both parties for Mixon to pay off the girl before he signs his NFL contract and is worth more money and she decides she wants more for it to go away. I did learn however from reading about the Raider's pick Conely from OSU, the NFL can not punish college players for stuff that they did before being drafted.

  36. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
    B+
    We drafted well - mostly picked the right guy for each position we selected. Not shoring up OL brings them down to the B+.

    I do think the year of experience and offseason, plus a stud RB and Ross stretching the opposing D backfield will all improve the OL. At least I hope so ...

    As an aside, I'm thinking about going to the JAX game this November. The only place I've been for Bengals away games is CLE.
    I don't think we can degrade a draft because certain positions weren't addressed. I disagree with that on principle. Why encourage a team to take a lesser player due to need? I call that reaching. I generally want the best player. In this draft, OL was arguably the weakest position. Sure, we needed O-linemen but why draft another Bodine?

    Time will tell if it was a good draft but I can't blame them for not drafting players who didn't rate as highly on their boards.

  37. #77
    Duke Tobin is by far and away the least embarrassing Bengals non-player.

    Here he is on the Hobson podcast
    http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...d-3be359ca1a00
    After years of Marvin saying nothing, it's refreshing hearing about the thoughts of how the franchise views each player from Tobin.

    Who did he replace? Lippincott? HA!!
    Only users lose drugs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •