Thread: UDFA's

UDFA's

There should be a list shortly, but for now...

OL Drew Stanton, Oregon State http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/in...art_river_home
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

Yeah I saw the full list on another site, I really like Hardy Nickerson Jr. He was All Pac-10 and then was a graduate transfer and was All Big-10. For some reason he wasn't drafted. The Bengals also got the QB from Michigan State.

Looking at the list posted at CincyJungle, and doing some web research (including a small amount of film review), here are my thoughts:

Hardy Nickerson. He was all Pac 10 and all Big Ten *honorable mention*, which if i'm not mistaken is basically like third team. I think he was considered a draft prospect only because of his father's name. With that said, it was definitely a good get as an UDFA, and he'll compete for a PS spot.

Brandon Bell, LB, Penn State. Love it, though I may be biased as a PSU alum. Tough, hard-working, tested better than Nickerson and was productive. Will compete with Nickerson for a PS spot, maybe even a roster spot, and if I was a betting man I'd give him the edge. Either one could become our next Vinny Rey though.

Cethan Carter, TE Nebraska. Not our usual TE, but actually I think he'll play the same position as Hewitt. Mason Schreck will compete for a PS spot as a true TE. Honestly I'd never heard of Schreck (neither had Zierlein or Brooks in the NFL's broadcast), but if they'd drafted Carter I'd have been just as happy. I did just now watch some of his tape, and he's a better blocker than his size would suggest on account of technique and strength. Lined up as an H-back, not inline. Has good movement skills in the passing game. Honestly this is good enough of a get that if he shows well in the preseason he might not even clear waivers for us to put him on the PS, believe it or not.

Stanley "Boom" Williams. 190 pound backs rarely make it in the NFL, but I still like it. Also just now watched a little tape, against Florida I think, and saw a guy who ran bigger than that. But UKY was getting waxed, so Florida was letting them run it. To make it in the NFL he'll gave to gain weight and carve out an Eric Bienemy/Cedric Peerman role. Good get.

Josh Tupou. Big, hulking NT type. Would've been content if we'd drafted him. Doesn't move well. Our depth there makes it unlikely that he makes the roster, but like Carter if he shows well in the preseason he might not make it past waivers (for a 3-4 team who needs a NT). PS candidate. Really good get. Was considered draftable at times during the pre-draft process, and I remember having seen grades on him as high as the 5th round. CBS has him as the 26th best DT in the class, but I do remember they had him higher than that previously.

Howard Brantley. Hadn't heard of him, so I looked up his tape at draftbreakdown.com and the only thing there was 2014 tape. I watched some of it, and I saw a dominant 3 technique. Crazy quick, and bigger than the 273 lbs I see him listed at. So I googled him to look up his story, and after his redshirt freshman season at Mizzou he was win a terrible car accident and never got back to form. Found an online interview with him and he seems like a well grounded young man who's humbled and still recovering his old skills. He may never get them back, but if he does we might have a steal.

Jason Carr. Tall, long and strong, but has never been a good football player. I found out that he was a 4 star recruit at Tennessee, and they wanted him to play OT. He balked and went the junior college route. Later transferred to West Georgia. Ok, so not a team player. I have a really hard time seeing him make our team, or anybody's, as a DL. If he's smart he'll embrace that opportunity to convert to OL with us. Maybe that's what they're thinking. I read somewhere that he's not twitchy or explosive (no tape available to check this for myself), but pretty strong with long arms. That screams OL dude, suck it up and convert.

Kent Perkins. CBS actually has him as their 20th highest rated OT (in a weak OT class). All I found at draftbreakdown.com is 2015 tape, so I watched a couple minutes. Brutal. I hope that was his first game or something because he looked lost. Big, looks like has long arms and moves pretty well. For all I know he turned it around as a senior. Definite PS candidate. Good get.

Demetrius Cox. He's either really something, or really nothing. Flashed as a junior, there was scuttlebut he could be a high draft pick, but played poorly as a senior. Didn't both with any tape on him, but I read that he's versatile and might play a little CB. Still a good get, because you never know if there was some nagging injury that held him back as a senior.

Tyler O'Connor, QB, Michigan State. Wuh?

Landon Lechler, OT, North Dakota State. He's tall, that's all I know. CBS has him as the 55th best OT, but I'm sure our scouts know more about him than CBS sports does.

Can't find much info on the other guys, besides height/weight, etc. Doesn't look like much there. Overall I think this is an outstanding UDFA class!

Thanks, bengali for putting in the time on this. I wish we were on Hard Knocks (I think it's the Bucs), as there hasn't been a training camp I was more excited about than this year's. The home preseason games will be worth going to this season.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

I was disappointed in our Linebackers last season because I expected Jim Haslett to get more out of them. Hopefully, another year of melding Haslett into the Bengals' system makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerBenner View Post
    I was disappointed in our Linebackers last season because I expected Jim Haslett to get more out of them. Hopefully, another year of melding Haslett into the Bengals' system makes a difference.
    the only problem with our LB's was Vontaze getting suspended for 3 games and then taking another 3 to get his legs under him.....once that was all over with, the entire defense settled in and played some good football....go figure.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    the only problem with our LB's was Vontaze getting suspended for 3 games and then taking another 3 to get his legs under him.....once that was all over with, the entire defense settled in and played some good football....go figure.
    Disappointed? Watching Dansby chase people from behind all season was enough to make anyone physically depressed. Maualuga running made turtles wince.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

A lot of people got let go this season or lost their starting jobs because of poor play. Hill lost his. LaFell will lose his, but not because of poor play as he exceeded expectations, but because ge doesn't fit in with Green, Eifert and a subpar O-Line. Adam Jones will lose his because of poor play. Peko and Maualuga were let go because of poor play. Whitworth and Zeitler were let go because of cost. Bodine will be let go next year if he doesn't make a big leap this season. Dennard won't be resigned if he doesn't, at the minimum, take over the RCB job. MJ is gone.

A lot of people got let go this season or lost their starting jobs because of poor play. Hill lost his. LaFell will lose his, but not because of poor play as he exceeded expectations, but because ge doesn't fit in with Green, Eifert and a subpar O-Line. Adam Jones will lose his because of poor play. Peko and Maualuga were let go because of poor play. Whitworth and Zeitler were let go because of cost. Bodine will be let go next year if he doesn't make a big leap this season. Dennard won't be resigned if he doesn't, at the minimum, take over the RCB job. MJ is gone.
    yeah, the loyalty to the older slow guys went out the window with 6 wins. I love how they went after speed this draft and it serves as a wake up call to anyone thinking their job was safe. If half of these picks (and last years that didn't play) pan out next year's roster will be even tougher to crack. I really like the direction and moves they are making. If Ross and Mixon play as expected this offense will be lights out, even with Zampese as coordinator.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

While Zampese/Lewis were in over their heads last year on Offense, this abrupt change in speed, accountability and willingness to put the draftees out there over established Veterans (I think Ross starts Day 1, even though he'll be a poor blocker as his stretching the field and Giving Dalton multiple opportunities to take deep shots are more important) speaks volumes to an adapting and growing Zampese/Lewis combination. I have to think this way. Either it works and they win 10+ games again and reach the playoffs, or it doesn't and Marvin gets fired. Win-Win. Unless there's a Michael Scott Win-Win-Win.

While Zampese/Lewis were in over their heads last year on Offense, this abrupt change in speed, accountability and willingness to put the draftees out there over established Veterans (I think Ross starts Day 1, even though he'll be a poor blocker as his stretching the field and Giving Dalton multiple opportunities to take deep shots are more important) speaks volumes to an adapting and growing Zampese/Lewis combination. I have to think this way. Either it works and they win 10+ games again and reach the playoffs, or it doesn't and Marvin gets fired. Win-Win. Unless there's a Michael Scott Win-Win-Win.
    wait wait wait...... lets actually see the rookies play majority of snaps after the season starts before we all claim so and so lost their job. its still the same coaches and front office, i hope your right but its only 2 days after the draft. quit count chickens before theres even eggs

Pretty sure I read that the Bengals picked up his 5th year option this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Pretty sure I read that the Bengals picked up his 5th year option this week.
    I was saying resigned after his 5th year is done.

I actually think Dennard steps up and plays to his potential in a contract year...go figure.

Pacman won't be on this team to start the year....guaranteed.

Kirk, WJ3, Dennard will be MUCH improved over last years secondary..

now add in a full season for Burfict and a reinvigorated D-line

oh my..
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    I actually think Dennard steps up and plays to his potential in a contract year...go figure.

Pacman won't be on this team to start the year....guaranteed.

Kirk, WJ3, Dennard will be MUCH improved over last years secondary..

now add in a full season for Burfict and a reinvigorated D-line

oh my..
    Don't forget Shaw was at one point in the season one of the top slot cover guys in the NFL.

Don't forget Shaw was at one point in the season one of the top slot cover guys in the NFL.
    yep, forgot about Shaw

So if Minter is an upgrade over Maualuga. Vigil is an upgrade over Dansby and Billings is an upgrade over Peko, Willis/Lawson an upgrade over Johnson, does that make Williams the lone weak spot on D?
    Only users lose drugs

And even he was coming on the second half of the season.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I'll never like Williams. He makes an idiot play whether it is a blown coverage or a stupid penalty every game. He even did it on special teams before he became a starting safety. It is like clockwork, every game.

Ross doesn't need to block. His job on running plays is to sprint down the field and take two players with him. If the safety starts to play the backfield then you gameplan to burn him on a play action to Ross later on in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    So if Minter is an upgrade over Maualuga. Vigil is an upgrade over Dansby and Billings is an upgrade over Peko, Willis/Lawson an upgrade over Johnson, does that make Williams the lone weak spot on D?
    The weak spot is ML sticking his conservative thinking into the D when it needs to be aggressive. Zimmer proved you do not need an all pro at every spot but you do need to be aggressive. I fully believe Lewis is handcuffing Guenther.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ross doesn't need to block. His job on running plays is to sprint down the field and take two players with him. If the safety starts to play the backfield then you gameplan to burn him on a play action to Ross later on in the game.
    That's what I was saying. They can put LaFell in if they need a blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    The weak spot is ML sticking his conservative thinking into the D when it needs to be aggressive. Zimmer proved you do not need an all pro at every spot but you do need to be aggressive. I fully believe Lewis is handcuffing Guenther.
    Without a doubt that buffoon is the biggest reason why they only won six games last year.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Bengals signed West Georgia DE Jason Carr.

Carr (6’5/302) originally committed to Tennessee as a four-star recruit, but transferred to community college after the Vols tried to convert him to offensive line. Carr spent his final two seasons at Division-2 West Georgia, managing 11 tackles for loss and four sacks. He ran a 5.56 forty and managed 12 bench-press reps at his Pro Day. While Carr looks like Muhammad Wilkerson with long arms (34 1/8") and a picturesque five-technique frame, Carr was an underachiever throughout college and failed to dominate in the small-school ranks.

For a comprehensive list with some comments on the Bengals' UDFA's...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...ker/101082044/

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Bengals signed West Georgia DE Jason Carr.

Carr (6’5/302) originally committed to Tennessee as a four-star recruit, but transferred to community college after the Vols tried to convert him to offensive line. Carr spent his final two seasons at Division-2 West Georgia, managing 11 tackles for loss and four sacks. He ran a 5.56 forty and managed 12 bench-press reps at his Pro Day. While Carr looks like Muhammad Wilkerson with long arms (34 1/8") and a picturesque five-technique frame, Carr was an underachiever throughout college and failed to dominate in the small-school ranks.
    A 5.56??? Was he carrying a refrigerator with him?

A 5.56??? Was he carrying a refrigerator with him?
    OK for a Guard.

He plays Guard in the NFL or he doesn't play.

OK for a Guard.

He plays Guard in the NFL or he doesn't play.
    Ok, I might accept a 5.56 forty for a 300 pound guy, but 12 reps of 225? He'll get his ass handed to him in the NFL.

BTW only three guys at the combine for the offensive line group ran slower than a 5.56. None of the guys benched 12 reps or less. The lowest was 15, and the highest was 35.

Ok, I might accept a 5.56 forty for a 300 pound guy, but 12 reps of 225? He'll get his ass handed to him in the NFL.

BTW only three guys at the combine for the offensive line group ran slower than a 5.56. None of the guys benched 12 reps or less. The lowest was 15, and the highest was 35.
    ...practice squads for a couple years while he hits the weight room.

...practice squads for a couple years while he hits the weight room.
    That's not going to matter, he's already set the precedent that he is a lazy bum. He had the opportunity at Tennessee and pissed it away and didn't care enough about being ready for his pro try-out to do better than 12 reps. Hell I'm 5'9" and at one time weighed 235 and could bench 225 ten times. My cousin is 5'7" and weighed about 225 and could bench 225 20 times.

He reminds me of another guy a few years back they tried to switch from D-line to O-line... who was also a lazy #### and it didn't work out, Jason Shirley.