Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ifs

  1. #1
    Administrator Super Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,043

    Ifs

    Lets take if #1. OL. We can do all the ifs but let us think for just a minute. Ogbuehi was a left tackle playing right tackle. Being in his natural position maybe he excels. What if Smith play right tackle and Winston backs him up. Smith is a good right tackle when he is dedicated. Could this shore up the tackle spots. Problem center. Maybe Bodine is made to cover his spot and not get help from Zeitler. Bodine may depend on everyone, so in place he doesn't try as hard. Could be he gets better when the coaches give him the chance to swim or sink.

    Lets take if #2 Coaching. Zampese had his first chance last year not having the same receivers. He had to teach the players at the same time of learning what works in his offense. Plus call the plays. Gurden wasn't great his first year as OC, and neither was Hue even though both had called plays before. Hues as a OC and Gruden as a arena coach and calling some plays under Jon. I believe that Zampese can be better than both because he has coached under Rhodes, Marks, Gruden, Jackson and is a son of a good Ernie Zampese. Zampese was coaching Jackson's offensive make up. This year with the draft he coaches his own.

    Later more ifs will come into play

  2. #2
    #1 If Ogbuebi can stay healthy this TC who knows he may step up, If Smith actually dedicates himself he should be a average RG or RT , Fisher did actually look decent but i do believe he took a shot on the knees while playing tackle eligible at the end of the year. we looked better with anyone but bodine playing center so not sure how we can put an if there other then IF we have a different center other then bodine .. Boling is steady but nothing to rally behind so we can say IF Boling becomes the stud guard maybe we'll have something.

    alot of ifs and it only takes 1 OL to miss a block etc to make the whole Offense look bad. the best i can say we'll see how they play, not much really else we can do.

  3. #3
    #1) I don't think that they'll be stellar but I think the O-line won't be as atrocious as is often projected around here.

    #2) I'm on the Zampese band wagon. I'm hoping he saw what worked and what didn't work in Hue's playbook while also properly implementing his new toys in Mixon, Ross and Malone.
    Only users lose drugs

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Ogbuehi was a left tackle playing right tackle.

    Coaches and the press have given Ogbuehi a free-pass because of being on the right instead of the left. The Falcons started Jake Matthews on the right and then switched him to left. He did not struggle. Whitworth played guard and did just fine and then transitioned to the left. I sure hope this is the case because he is a first-round pick and the light-bulb has to come on. All Ogbuehi offers is excuse after excuse after excuse. This is his job, he has to find a way. His injuries are unfortunate, I do not see that as an excuse not to see how the veterans prepare and emulate that or get up to speed to quickly at the professional level. Everyone is injured, he should have been performing whatever strength and conditioning program he could to work around his injuries. And maybe he did. That is what scares me, maybe he has his head-down doing everything he can and he still is not developing. Going out to work with Glazer shows determination. But Ogbuehi comes off as immature when speaking to the press.

    Strength is easily developed, it's all about putting the work in and the nutrition. This season, Ogbuehi has zero excuse not to handle the bull-rush. Finding a menacing, savage, and intelligent tackle is becoming a rarity in the game because of all the finesse involved at the college level with the spread offense aka glorified 7 on 7 with pads on.

  5. #5
    TD Bengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Kentucky, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by BengalCP9 View Post
    Strength is easily developed, it's all about putting the work in and the nutrition. This season, Ogbuehi has zero excuse not to handle the bull-rush. Finding a menacing, savage, and intelligent tackle is becoming a rarity in the game because of all the finesse involved at the college level with the spread offense aka glorified 7 on 7 with pads on.
    Ogbuehi has been working with Whitworth in the off-season and doing MMA training to get tougher against the bull rush. We'll see if that translates to on-field success, but it certainly sounds like he has put in the work.

  6. #6
    spicoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Side Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,815
    two biggest problems with OGB....1) he was soft 2) he is/was immature

    supposedly he's worked hard at fixing both issues this off-season....we shall see.

    personally, I have a feeling they gel and surprise.
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Lets take if #1. OL. We can do all the ifs but let us think for just a minute. Ogbuehi was a left tackle playing right tackle. Being in his natural position maybe he excels. What if Smith play right tackle and Winston backs him up. Smith is a good right tackle when he is dedicated. Could this shore up the tackle spots. Problem center. Maybe Bodine is made to cover his spot and not get help from Zeitler. Bodine may depend on everyone, so in place he doesn't try as hard. Could be he gets better when the coaches give him the chance to swim or sink.

    Lets take if #2 Coaching. Zampese had his first chance last year not having the same receivers. He had to teach the players at the same time of learning what works in his offense. Plus call the plays. Gurden wasn't great his first year as OC, and neither was Hue even though both had called plays before. Hues as a OC and Gruden as a arena coach and calling some plays under Jon. I believe that Zampese can be better than both because he has coached under Rhodes, Marks, Gruden, Jackson and is a son of a good Ernie Zampese. Zampese was coaching Jackson's offensive make up. This year with the draft he coaches his own.

    Later more ifs will come into play

    If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts.........we'd ALL have a Merry Christmas.


    Love your perennial optimism, SC. Twenty-seven years I've been following you and the glass is still "half full" lol

  8. #8
    Administrator Super Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,043
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post
    If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts.........we'd ALL have a Merry Christmas.


    Love your perennial optimism, SC. Twenty-seven years I've been following you and the glass is still "half full" lol
    Not allowing myself to do the gloom and doom. Guenther wasn't at his best his first year taking over. Now he looks like a veteran DC.

    Here is what I'm seeing. I see a running back in Joe Mixon and a backup in Bernard. I see two speed receivers on the outside in Green and Ross. What if you could have 5 receivers wide. The line wouldn't have to hold their blocks as long. Check out our other receivers. Boyd a very good receiver going over the middle, LaFell a average veteran that should get lost in space with the other three on the field. I don't see a team that could cover our 4 receivers with their DB's. Then you add Eifert. How do you cover 5 receivers who can get open quick.
    but why not change gears, what if you have Mixon and Bernard on the field together. Again you can play 5 wide like playing the shell and ball game. Backs who can go all the way with a small seam. Or quick strikes to Green, Ross or Eifert. Don't have to have the best Oline with quick options like that. and Andy is one of the best getting the ball out of his hands quickly.
    so I have shown all the offensive ifs.
    The offense was attuned to getting all five receivers out into patterns that stretched the field, setting up defensive backs with route technique, and the quarterback delivering to a spot on time where the receiver could make the catch and turn upfield. Frequent pre-snap motion and shifting were staples of the system, often including shifts to or from empty backfield formations or bunch formations. Pass protection was critical to its success. At least two of the five receivers would run a deep in, skinny post, comeback, speed out, or shallow cross pattern, and running backs would often run quick rail routes out of the backfield. Screens, draws, and play action passes were often used to slow the opponent's pass rush.
    What if we had an offense like that?
    Mike Martz credits the offensive system as being originally catalyzed by Sid Gillman and then refined at San Diego State by Don Coryell, who later transmitted his system to the NFL. Martz learned the Coryell 3-digit system from offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese when both coached for the Rams under Chuck Knox from 1994-96

  9. #9
    I think the offensive line will be fine. They will have good and bad moments but overall will be okay as long as we don't get bit by injuries. All the offensive weapons obviously help out a ton. Ross should keep the safeties back which helps the line immensely.

    Zampese should simply look for the opposing teams weakness and exploit the bejesus out of it each week. No team's defense is stellar in all areas. I could call this offense. Hell, even Le Tigre could.
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

  10. #10
    I resemble that remark.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •