Thread: Draft pick signings . . . Ross and Lawson in

Draft pick signings . . . Ross and Lawson in

Per Hobson
    Ten days after he held up the jersey, John Ross held the pen.

John Ross does everything fast.

And that includes sign his first NFL contract.

Ten days after the Bengals took him with their first-round pick in the draft Ross signed his four-year deal Sunday with an option for a fifth after the Bengals broke their rookie minicamp following a Sunday morning practice. Ross, a wide receiver from Washington, joined fourth-rounder Carl Lawson in the fold as the first of two 11 draft picks to sign.

Lawson, the Bengals’ first pick in the fourth round out of Auburn, is an edge rusher who recovered from two injury-riddled seasons to register nine sacks, 12.5 tackles for losses and an All-SEC First-Team berth as voted by the coaches.

Lawson’s father, Carl, a personal trainer in the Atlanta area, won a national championship with Georgia Tech but lasted until only until the second cut of the 1991 Dolphins training camp. His son never won it all, but now has a four-year NFL deal.

“We’re switching on and off. My plan is to carry on the Lawson legacy as best I can,” Lawson said. “One, he was a great father. And then the added bonus he helped me out with football and athletics.”
    Only users lose drugs

that's great news!!
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I had Willis pegged for 600 snaps and Lawson 400. But, with them declaring that Lawson will play some Linebacker, and gave him the #58 I think he gets 600 snaps, too.
    Last edited by BlazerBenner; 05-08-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

If Lawson plays linebacker instead of end, be ready for another year of cursing at the tv screen for all the RB and Te completions for first downs by opposing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    If Lawson plays linebacker instead of end, be ready for another year of cursing at the tv screen for all the RB and Te completions for first downs by opposing teams.
    He's not. They stated they are trying to see if he can play the position and if he can it will be a way of getting this talented player onto the field. Willis is better at RDE and will start, but Lawson is too talented not to have on the field. He'll be part of the D-Line rotation, but could see snaps at Linebacker, too, if he proves capable.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

I don't speak draft-ese fluently, but two of the descriptions I read as to the high qualities of edge rushers were: "twitch" and "bend". I surmised both were in the context of getting around the blocker the shortest possible route--and avoiding getting "Stuck" to them (99% of the time being held--but that so rarely gets called in these situations).

In looking at the pros/cons for both Willis and Lawson--when used in the context of edge rusher--neither had high accolades for "twitch" and "bend". Guess that will equate to "stuck", which will render their usefulness somewhat worthless.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    I don't speak draft-ese fluently, but two of the descriptions I read as to the high qualities of edge rushers were: "twitch" and "bend". I surmised both were in the context of getting around the blocker the shortest possible route--and avoiding getting "Stuck" to them (99% of the time being held--but that so rarely gets called in these situations).

In looking at the pros/cons for both Willis and Lawson--when used in the context of edge rusher--neither had high accolades for "twitch" and "bend". Guess that will equate to "stuck", which will render their usefulness somewhat worthless.
    That's hilarious
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

And I guess we have nicknames, for Twitch Willis and Bend Lawson haha
    2013 Whodey Keeper League Regular Season Champion
    2013 Yahoo Whodey League Regular Season Champion

I still think the Bengals have an exceptional talent in Linebackers' Coach, Jim Haslett. He should be able to teach Lawson what he needs to know to be effective in limited snaps, I'm guessing about 200 from the Linebacker position.

I don't speak draftee well, either, or about tge nuances and techniques of RDE's. Both Willis and Lawson are considered by those experts who know these things as exceptional EDGE rushers, both being so good at it that there isn't any doubt that they will be good at it in the NFL. Staying healthy and stopping the run are issues for Lawson. Stopping the run is also an issue for Willis. Since teams throw 60% of the time, it's a minor issue. There also isn't a RDE already on the team who can earn snaps over Willis because they are good against the run, so Willis is locked in as the Starter, while Lawson is locked in as his backup. Gilberry would get some run on obvious running plays, while Daryl Williams has been used, there, too. Of course, they move Dunlap over there occasionally to mix things up, while also using Geno at the RDT position occasionally. I just can't see any reason to pay MJ his $3.55M salary along with escalator bonuses that could earn another half-million. That's too much money for Mike Brown to give to someone he not only doesn't need, but who has failed miserably to earn the money already given to him since the Ides of March in 2015.

#Bengals sign the following Draft picks
    -DT R. Glasgow (Rd4)
    -K J. Elliott (Rd5)
    -LB J. Evans (Rd6)
    -S B. Wilson (Rd6)
    -TE M. Schreck (Rd7)

Per @Bengals twitter.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha