Thread: Only 8 teams have worse 2018 Superbowl odds than Cincinnati

Only 8 teams have worse 2018 Superbowl odds than Cincinnati

I know we're coming off a 6-9-1 season but somehow I had the impression the Cincinnati Bengals were an above-average NFL team....what a slap in the face this was...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/th...-surprise-you/

Slap in the face? Really?

EVERY team in the NFL has won a playoff game since the Bengals last won one.

So many people these days expect "respect" without having to earn it.
    The Bengals have abused their fans so much over the years, they might as well hold an annual Punch Your Customers In the Face Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of PB View Post
    Slap in the face? Really?

EVERY team in the NFL has won a playoff game since the Bengals last won one.

So many people these days expect "respect" without having to earn it.

There it is !!

I will take Most NFL Playoff Losses for $100, Alex.

Answer: 27 and 25

Who are Minnesota and Dallas?

Correct!

I will take "There it is!" Exclamations for $500.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I cant see how this would be a slap in the face/ First it is just a betting odds. Second, Marvin Lewis has the worst playoff record of any coach virtually ever. The odds should make us the last team in the NFL. The fact that there are a few below is surprising.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...e-2017-season/

OL is a huge risk for this team right now and until the prove otherwise, the team will go nowhere near a SB.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

8 teams have worse Super Bowl odds.

Genius.

They drafted 9th so there were 8 teams that were worse than Cincy last year.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    I cant see how this would be a slap in the face/ First it is just a betting odds. Second, Marvin Lewis has the worst playoff record of any coach virtually ever. The odds should make us the last team in the NFL. The fact that there are a few below is surprising.

OL is a huge risk for this team right now and until the prove otherwise, the team will go nowhere near a SB.
    I saw profootballfocus.com and immediately I knew it was hogshit....

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    8 teams have worse Super Bowl odds.

Genius.

They drafted 9th so there were 8 teams that were worse than Cincy last year.
    LMAO, bingo! errrr "There it is"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    There is no one who would ranks our OL anywhere but near bottom of the league. Lose two all pros and Bodine still sucks, Andre can never play a season and two unproven guys at tackles.

Win the Super Bowl?

They won't even sniff the playoffs.

At least Marvin will finally get fired,.....or will he, as there is always another excuse?

As Dalton gets knocked out of every third or fourth game and Mixon continues to get first contact before he crosses the line of scrimmage, the fingerpointing and coachspeak should be entertaining.
    "The History of the National Football League proves that most games are won in the last two minutes of the first half or the second half." -- Vince Lombardi.

"You're either incredibly prepared, or incredibly physically talented."

So of course a healthy, improved, defense will not help anything? Won't assist in improving field position for the offense and dictate the extent opposing offenses can operate to score points? Every game will not be a blowout against us? Right...doesn't fit the cataclysm narrative.

Gotta love the Bellyache Gang...the thoughts of an offensive line disaster creating an abysmal year, just gives them thrills.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by sandwedge View Post
    The Bengals use that service as do at least half the NFL.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/3...nced-analytics

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    So of course a healthy, improved, defense will not help anything? Won't assist in improving field position for the offense and dictate the extent opposing offenses can operate to score points? Every game will not be a blowout against us? Right...doesn't fit the cataclysm narrative.

Gotta love the Bellyache Gang...the thoughts of an offensive line disaster creating an abysmal year, just gives them thrills.
    dont matter how good the defense is if they get sent back out there after 3-5 plays off, in that respect the possible OL disaster can become very real ....very fast.
    after last year and the brand new OL theres alot for this team to prove ,but we all know there will be no last minute trades or savior FAs added so we shall see

I anticipated the "defense on the field all of the time" response. This presupposes that there will be little to no offensive production at all. And this is presupposed that there will be little to no production from the offensive line at all.

Play along, and try not to say "you can't compare the Bengals to...", but anyone who saw the Packers last year, knew their offensive line was marginal at best. An even better reference would be Blazer's beloved Seattle. There, the line was atrocious, the QB was overall less than our guy, and their offensive weapons were pedestrian. Now, put a good defense accomplishing the acumen I described previously, and you still have a playoff team coming out of a decent division. Again, try to refrain from throwing coach-hate into it also--I am speaking in a hypothetical, whereas everyone else is speaking in absolutes.

Remember 2009. Didn't have a good defense but had a veteran QB, RB and WR. Plus the OL was questionable. We won the division.
    Remember 2011. Still questionable OL, but no veteran QB or WR but a good defense. We again made the playoffs. And every season after that until last year with many injuries.
    On paper this is the best team we have had since Marvin took over.
    The best WR core since the 80's. Three RB's that could start on other teams, One of the best TE's in football with two good backups. And one of the top 10 QB's in the league. But we question the Oline?
    The Bengals must not be worried about it because they never signed a free agent of drafted an Olineman. I understand the questioning of Ogbuehi. But think about it. He was drafted injured as a LT. He was moved to RT because Smith left. Before he got injured in college before the draft he was top 10. People question Smith because he didn't do well with the Vikings. But before he left on many days he could be one of the best in the NFL. But he had his bad days also. He has the talent, he just has to stay focused. Boling is much better than I expected after seeing him his first season. So that leaves Bodine and LG. Fisher LG? Fisher could turn out to be like Whitworth. Start off as a guard and later moved back to tackle. Whitworth did well in helping Cook when he was a guard. Maybe Fisher does the same for Bodine.
    I don't worry about the Oline as much as others. With the talent outside the OLine we could cover up some flaws. The running game we could muscle most Dlines. We have good receiving RB's. None have stone hands. So if the line allows the Dline in, we throw the screens and run the draw. With two long ball threats we could keep and extra man or two in for blocking. Eifert, Ross and Green. How about 5 wide? Green, Ross, Boyd, Eifert and Erickson. Why Erickson over Core or Lafell. He could be an Edelman. how about old time football and the t formation. Bernard, Hill and Mixon.
    Do you remember Manning and the Colts. No Oline but still top in their division. Same with Green Bay, Rodgers and Ryan with Atlanta. Every team has weaknesses, the Bengals have less than many.
    Bengals lost 5 games in last 8 by less than 4 points. Except for Steelers and Packers no team we play won more than 3 games more than us. We won 6 and tied 1. Teams we play didn't win more than 9 games other than Steelers and Packers.
    Remember Steelers had the best record of all the teams we play with 11 wins Packers 10. Bengals played 5 teams with a 10 win or more wins 2015 season. So we get and easier schedule that should give us at least 3 more wins.
    We play AFC south. We are better than each of those teams including 9-7 Texans. We play the NFC north, other than Viking they have no defenses. So our offense could moved the ball as well as NFC north teams but our defense could slow down their offenses.
    Last edited by Super Cat; 07-03-2017 at 02:20 AM.

The biggest issue will be the coaches ability to adapt mid-game or throughout the season if the O-line is terrible. Good coaches realize there are certain plays and play designs you can make to take the pressure off of the guys upfront. Short step drops, screen passes, draw plays, misdirection run plays with pulling linemen. You gotta do things to keep the defense on its toes and not just play the straight up we are going to knock you in the mouth style play. That may have worked back in the day when the Bengals had guys like Bobbie Williams at guard, but that isn't going to work right now.

I anticipated the "defense on the field all of the time" response. This presupposes that there will be little to no offensive production at all. And this is presupposed that there will be little to no production from the offensive line at all.

Play along, and try not to say "you can't compare the Bengals to...", but anyone who saw the Packers last year, knew their offensive line was marginal at best. An even better reference would be Blazer's beloved Seattle. There, the line was atrocious, the QB was overall less than our guy, and their offensive weapons were pedestrian. Now, put a good defense accomplishing the acumen I described previously, and you still have a playoff team coming out of a decent division. Again, try to refrain from throwing coach-hate into it also--I am speaking in a hypothetical, whereas everyone else is speaking in absolutes.
    and i remember the days when the defense would play 40 minutes of every game and we'd lose in the 4th on last drives because they was wore out.
    and on the same note....even as great as boomer led fast score no huddle offenses were, that was their weakness if teams could stay close the our defense didnt get to rest and was wore out in the 4th.

also now a days the rules are geared toward the offense and geared to help them , so in todays game the best defense is time consuming scoring drives.

Not to digress, but the defense in 1988 was only slightly better than average--and the few times they were victims of "offense scored too fast", the offense again "scored too fast". In actuality, there were many more times the offense strung out longer drives, than was the no-huddle blitzkrieg legend.

But anyways...how do any past historical recollections coincide with the supposed looming team disaster this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    The biggest issue will be the coaches ability to adapt mid-game or throughout the season if the O-line is terrible. Good coaches realize there are certain plays and play designs you can make to take the pressure off of the guys upfront. Short step drops, screen passes, draw plays, misdirection run plays with pulling linemen. You gotta do things to keep the defense on its toes and not just play the straight up we are going to knock you in the mouth style play. That may have worked back in the day when the Bengals had guys like Bobbie Williams at guard, but that isn't going to work right now.
    In that case we will lose...our coaches are horrible at adapting

Not to digress, but the defense in 1988 was only slightly better than average--and the few times they were victims of "offense scored too fast", the offense again "scored too fast". In actuality, there were many more times the offense strung out longer drives, than was the no-huddle blitzkrieg legend.

But anyways...how do any past historical recollections coincide with the supposed looming team disaster this season?
    oh sorry to bring in facts to your everythings great discussion .

..... superbowl bound we are......

nothing else to discuss.

Oh stop it...my line of work is fact-based--without them any statement is based on nothing but opinion. I stated a reasonable hypothesis--so far, I haven't seen anything (and not just what you have said either) to the contrary. Yes, it is a faster-paced game today and, by theory, that could "wear out a defense". But this again presupposes that this offense will do absolutely nothing to counter.

That is all I was asking: how do the apparent observations of 30-years ago (remember, I didn't miss a home game that season, so I saw it with my own eyes) translate to the absolute conclusion being made now that this season is going to be a disaster on offense (and hence, the total loss of the team's fortunes)?

call me crazy but I have absolutely zero worries with this years team.....when the season starts they'll be the youngest team in the NFL with several legit veteran superstar players on defense to go along with several on offense.....leading that whole group though is a vet QB that just so happens to be hitting his prime years and has done nothing but improve every year he's been in the league so far....combine all that with one of the weakest schedules in the NFL for a team that traditionally wins 10+ games playing one of the hardest and I think we've got a recipe for an amazing season.....I honestly have zero worries about the oline, I think Fisher, OGB and big Andre all rise to the occasion this year and play their collective asses off.....jmo.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    call me crazy but I have absolutely zero worries with this years team.....when the season starts they'll be the youngest team in the NFL with several legit veteran superstar players on defense to go along with several on offense.....leading that whole group though is a vet QB that just so happens to be hitting his prime years and has done nothing but improve every year he's been in the league so far....combine all that with one of the weakest schedules in the NFL for a team that traditionally wins 10+ games playing one of the hardest and I think we've got a recipe for an amazing season.....I honestly have zero worries about the oline, I think Fisher, OGB and big Andre all rise to the occasion this year and play their collective asses off.....jmo.

Yep, the Bengals have great athletes. They always have great athletes.

The fate of 2017 rests completely on the OL. If they play like last year 8-8 at best. If the light comes on with Ced and Fisher, double digit wins should be expected. This team has talent at the skill position. Also, let's not forget our kicking game cost us at least 3 wins last year.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmtsu View Post
    The fate of 2017 rests completely on the OL. If they play like last year 8-8 at best. If the light comes on with Ced and Fisher, double digit wins should be expected. This team has talent at the skill position. Also, let's not forget our kicking game cost us at least 3 wins last year.
    Agree 100% on the OL, if they suck we can neither run or pass. And obviously the rookie kicker has to be much better than last years kickers.

OK...back to the top of the thread: Posts 11 and 14 to be exact. Now re-think 8-8 or worse cataclysms

Haven't seen anything from anyone to have a logical deduction otherwise. Still waiting.

To tell the truth we could be anywhere from 6 wins to 16 wins. If oline shines we are looking at 11 and above.

With all of their problems last year, if Nugent/Bullock didn't suck they would have won at least three more games.
    Best group of WRs they've had under Dalton
    Possibly the most talented RB they've ever had.
    Semi-Rookies Jackson III and Billings added to the defense along with actual rookies Willis and Lawson.
    Hopefully the new kicker doesn't choke, Eifert can play a whole season, AJ comes back from his injury with no setbacks and someone steps up at Safety.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    With all of their problems last year, if Nugent/Bullock didn't suck they would have won at least three more games.
    Best group of WRs they've had under Dalton
    Possibly the most talented RB they've ever had.
    Semi-Rookies Jackson III and Billings added to the defense along with actual rookies Willis and Lawson.
    Hopefully the new kicker doesn't choke, Eifert can play a whole season, AJ comes back from his injury with no setbacks and someone steps up at Safety.
    and the Def plays like we hope , the new OL holds up, and the coaches play to our strengths and quit trying to force us to play to their weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    and the Def plays like we hope , the new OL holds up, and the coaches play to our strengths and quit trying to force us to play to their weakness
    I think we'll get two out of three....that ain't bad
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

The Lions, the other completely inept playoff team in the league have announced they will not put up any banners for just making the playoffs:

The Lions made the playoffs last season, but they won’t hang a banner at Ford Field to celebrate it. And they’ve jettisoned previous playoff appearance banners as well.

Banners celebrating the Lions’ playoff appearances have been taken down, via Justin Rogers of the Detroit News. The Lions made the playoffs as a wild card and lost in the first round of the postseason in 2014, 2011, 1999, 1997, 1995, 1994, 1982 and 1970.

The Lions are keeping up their division championship banners. The Lions won the NFL Western Division in 1935, the National Conference in 1952, the Western Conference in 1953, 1954 and 1957, and the NFC Central in 1983, 1991 and 1993.

And, of course, the Lions are keeping up their NFL championship banners from 1935, 1952, 1953 and 1957.

Lions President Rod Wood explained that he wanted to celebrate something bigger than just getting to the playoffs.

In other words, just getting there is meaningless.

What does winning it all mean? Do you then become like Steeler fans for a year and act like you're royalty because 53 players that don't even know that you exist out performed other sets of 53 players that also don't know you exist?

Yeah, I want the Bengals to win it all, but if they don't, oh well. Just being relevant in November still makes me smile thinking of seasons past where by mid October we were often starting to look at potential draft picks for the next season. Manchester City supporters expect to challenge for the English Premier League title every year but every season, they still celebrate when their team hits the point total where no EPL team has been relegated(37 or 42, can't remember, too lazy to look it up).

If you're going around expecting improvement or success from a franchise led by inept coaches and an owner with different aspirations and goals, well then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Only users lose drugs

Well then I would expect the owner to state publicly that winning is not the goal. Then we can all move on. Instead we keep hearing how much he wants to win a championship. He wants to make money and increase the value of the franchise and if he stumbles on a playoff win then that is a bonus.

The Lions are no better but I found it funny that they don't see making the playoffs something to celebrate when you get booted first game over and over

Then we can all move on..
    I think most of us (fans) have done just that...... "if they win one great but if not that's ok too" ....pretty sure that's how most of Bengaldom approaches rooting for this Mike Brown owned franchise nowadays.

that being said....something about the make-up of this particular roster has me truly believing that this will be one of the best Bengal teams in franchise history.....whether that amounts to playoff win(s) or not, I have no idea, but they're certainly going to be an entertaining group to watch and I plan on enjoying them regardless of how it all ends.

The Lions, the other completely inept playoff team in the league have announced they will not put up any banners for just making the playoffs:

The Lions made the playoffs last season, but they won’t hang a banner at Ford Field to celebrate it. And they’ve jettisoned previous playoff appearance banners as well.

Banners celebrating the Lions’ playoff appearances have been taken down, via Justin Rogers of the Detroit News. The Lions made the playoffs as a wild card and lost in the first round of the postseason in 2014, 2011, 1999, 1997, 1995, 1994, 1982 and 1970.

The Lions are keeping up their division championship banners. The Lions won the NFL Western Division in 1935, the National Conference in 1952, the Western Conference in 1953, 1954 and 1957, and the NFC Central in 1983, 1991 and 1993.

And, of course, the Lions are keeping up their NFL championship banners from 1935, 1952, 1953 and 1957.

Lions President Rod Wood explained that he wanted to celebrate something bigger than just getting to the playoffs.

In other words, just getting there is meaningless.
    No, in other words it was a part of a $100 million renovation--mainly getting the room to put up 26,000 SF in LED video screens.

But go ahead and attempt to further your fake news agenda always depicting the Bengals as "not wanting to win".

i along with most here believe they want to win, but its the stupid crap that someone with no knowledge can figure out in 30 min of watching it takes the bengal masterminds 3/4 of a season to figure out and only make changes when the season is over to save "continuity"

seriously, over the years when the OL /DL etc has sucked what was the point of keeping it the same so they can do the same? which was suck.

i mean really the OL here have to suck for 3 years before they consider a replacement. (center or whats his name before Boling) rookies have sit and earn positions even when the starters suck to "learn the proper way we do things" but if your a high draft pick you get put out there. if ya suck they'll split time with you, still suck ? move you to the strongest potion where you have a probowler, move him then let the probowler walk over a 2 yr contract and a meager couple million ?

sorry for the rant but they just havent a clue sometimes