Thread: Broncos interested in McCarron

Broncos interested in McCarron

Saw a report where the Broncos are very interested in acquiring McCarron via a trade. Elway totally denies, but it is a rumor. Nothing less than a 1st rounder for him if we do make a trade.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Well, Hobson did just do a fluff piece on Jeff Driskel yesterday . . . prepping Bengaldom for our new #2 QB?
    Only users lose drugs

I can't see the Broncos giving up on Lynch a first round pick from last year that they traded up to get, and on top of that giving up another first round pick for McCarron who they might have for only one year. The problem of course is, the Broncos have a Super Bowl caliber defense, and it would be a shame on their part to not win a Super Bowl because their QBs suck.

Nobody will be able to swing a deal with Mike Brown.

Elway is the type to use a 1st rounder to get another ring. Still the gunslinger. Brown will take a #1 for McCarron.

I've preached it before. Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren drafted a late round QB almost every year. Draft, groom, trade. Detmer, Brunell and Hasselback all came up behind Favre and played somewhere else.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I can't see the Broncos giving up on Lynch a first round pick from last year that they traded up to get, and on top of that giving up another first round pick for McCarron who they might have for only one year. The problem of course is, the Broncos have a Super Bowl caliber defense, and it would be a shame on their part to not win a Super Bowl because their QBs suck.
    They wouldn't necessarily be giving up on him. Just bringing in a player on a one year contract to let him be better prepared for 2018. Elway will still get some form of compensation if they trade for McCarron and then he signs elsewhere next season.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    They wouldn't necessarily be giving up on him. Just bringing in a player on a one year contract to let him be better prepared for 2018. Elway will still get some form of compensation if they trade for McCarron and then he signs elsewhere next season.
    Yeah but the largest problem in all this is, the year the Bengals say that they should still have control over his rights, is in arbitration and won't be determined until January 2018. So teams inquiring about trading for him don't know if they will be trading for rights to him for just one year, or one year plus a year they can tender him a RFA. That is a difference of a possible third round pick, verses the potential of getting a first round pick from a first round RFA tender.

If they knew for sure they could place a first round RFA tender on him, trading a first rounder for him this year, would not be that big of a deal, because they would be only paying him a couple hundred thousand under his original rookie contract, and potentially get a first round pick back.

You're thinking like Mike Brown, Elway doesn't worry about petty shit like that. If Brown accepts a 1st, he's gone. If it works out for Elway, great for him. If it doesn't, he shrugs and looks for his next move.
    Only users lose drugs

Won't he just get killed behind their bad offensive line anyway?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Yeah but the largest problem in all this is, the year the Bengals say that they should still have control over his rights, is in arbitration and won't be determined until January 2018. So teams inquiring about trading for him don't know if they will be trading for rights to him for just one year, or one year plus a year they can tender him a RFA. That is a difference of a possible third round pick, verses the potential of getting a first round pick from a first round RFA tender.

If they knew for sure they could place a first round RFA tender on him, trading a first rounder for him this year, would not be that big of a deal, because they would be only paying him a couple hundred thousand under his original rookie contract, and potentially get a first round pick back.
    I'm sure any trade would also include a new contract so McCarron's status regarding years of service is moot.

Also, Lynch is NOT progressing. Simien is still projected as the starter. That tells me volumes that Denver's QB situation is hardly settled. I hope it remains that way when we play them.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Elway is the type to use a 1st rounder to get another ring. Still the gunslinger. Brown will take a #1 for McCarron.

I've preached it before. Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren drafted a late round QB almost every year. Draft, groom, trade. Detmer, Brunell and Hasselback all came up behind Favre and played somewhere else.

If Elway offers a 1st, Brown will ask for more. He will do "something" to piss off the Broncos.

Guaranteed.

With their defense, A Bronco 1st rd. pick is close to a top 2nd rd. pick.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaBengal View Post

With their defense, A Bronco 1st rd. pick is close to a top 2nd rd. pick.
    Lol, yeah right......with their QB situation, they'l be extremely lucky to finish 8-8, even with that defense.

they're not nearly as good as people would try to have you believe they are.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/1...ck-aj-mccarron

Sounds like we have had 2nd round offers but it makes sense to keep a valuable backup - if we lose him to a big Free Agency contract next year we get a 3rd round supplemental - good deal for a 5th round pick used as a backup for multiple years.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

yeah unless they think Driskel is the second coming, there's no way they can let AJ go for anything less than a first round pick.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Did I see our Back-ups play better than the little Red BB Gun? I think I did, yea, scrubs, whatever, I saw some starters in there and nice PICK btw at the goal line. Carry On!
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ@w View Post
    Did I see our Back-ups play better than the little Red BB Gun? I think I did, yea, scrubs, whatever, I saw some starters in there and nice PICK btw at the goal line. Carry On!
    There's a pretty big difference between some starters and all starters. I thought Dalton looked very good. The interception was an insanely good play from the corner. The read was good, but the throw was about a foot off. I think even that throw is a touchdown most of the time. Frankly, I hate the play call, but it does set up a quick wheel for the regular season in the same situation. I hope that's what they were thinking, though I'm not confident they were.

I like McCarron a lot. I think his ceiling is higher than Andy's, but he doesn't give us a better chance than Andy this year, and he's obviously going to be somewhere else next season or sooner, so there's not much incentive to play him. Neither guy is a QB who will get you to the Super Bowl, but Dalton is our best option for now. I like how hard he works, and I think his decisions are almost always correct. He just doesn't make the throws as often as Top-10 QBs. He's in the next group back.