Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre_Season game #1 Tampa Bay @ Cincinnati

Pre_Season game #1 Tampa Bay @ Cincinnati

I don't know the local TV set-up but the NFL Network will replay it at 1:00 am Friday night/Saturday morning and at 1:00 pm Tuesday, both start times EST.

I'll do a play-ish by play-ish on the the first re-air(9-midnight for me) if anybody else will be watching outside of the Cincy area.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    I don't know the local TV set-up but the NFL Network will replay it at 1:00 am Friday night/Saturday morning and at 1:00 pm Tuesday, both start times EST.

I'll do a play-ish by play-ish on the the first re-air(9-midnight for me) if anybody else will be watching outside of the Cincy area.
    Game will air at 7:30pm on WKRC (channel 12) in Cincinnati.

Things to watch tonight:

1) Offensive line - especially Fisher and Ogbuehi. Did the extra work in the offseason pay off or do we still have a revolving door?

2) Carl Lawson - reports say he's been lighting it up in practice.

3) WJIII and Andrew Billings - We finally get to see how they have progressed after missing all of their rookie season last year. WJIII will probably start the year on the bench, but I think he'll take the starting spot at some point this season. Billings should be an immediate upgrade over Peko.

4) Joe Mixon - Might not see him until late in the first half (he's listed as 4th on the depth chart), so he'll probably be going up against TB's scrubs. Still, he's been impressive in practice.

Most importantly, stay healthy.

Thanks for the update on the time for NFLN. Probably will record and watch first thing in the morning. I'll be watching the OL. I also want to see how the LBs play now that they have some real speed. Finally, I'm interested in this kicking contest. We lost 3 games last year due to kicking. I haven't seen anything really done to address it other than some rooking and journeyman kicker. This could be our second biggest hole behind the OL.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

It's a must win
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    It's a must win
    ....gotta set the tone.
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    Game will air at 7:30pm on WKRC (channel 12) in Cincinnati.

Things to watch tonight:

1) Offensive line - especially Fisher and Ogbuehi. Did the extra work in the offseason pay off or do we still have a revolving door?

2) Carl Lawson - reports say he's been lighting it up in practice.

3) WJIII and Andrew Billings - We finally get to see how they have progressed after missing all of their rookie season last year. WJIII will probably start the year on the bench, but I think he'll take the starting spot at some point this season. Billings should be an immediate upgrade over Peko.

4) Joe Mixon - Might not see him until late in the first half (he's listed as 4th on the depth chart), so he'll probably be going up against TB's scrubs. Still, he's been impressive in practice.

Most importantly, stay healthy.
    I'll add:
    5) Battle at Kicker. Below average vs unknown. I wanted the guy that Cleveland drafted. Let's see what the kid can do.

Other than that, you nailed it. REALLY anxious to see Mixon run. From what I've seen so far, he looks like a bigger, faster Marshall Faulk. Looking like and being are two different things. I believe Ross is still being held out because of the shoulder. I want to see what the back end of the WRs will do with the few extra snaps in his absence.
    Only users lose drugs

Most important take away from this game... Marvin Lewis has let himself go. He almost looks pregnant.

https://www.rveal.com/

I wonder if we can get a second round pick for Driskell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I wonder if we can get a second round pick for Driskell.
    Maybe Mikey will change his mind about trading McCarron.

Goodbye Will Clarke, HELLO Chris Smith!!
    “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” --Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Goodbye Will Clarke, HELLO Chris Smith!!
    Smith was great last night. Hopefully he can keep it up. Between Smith, Lawson, and Willis there is a lot to be excited about on the defensive line. It's only one preseason game, but definitely encouraging to see them getting to the QB.

So I'm wondering . . . Is Tampa's season up in the air because the Bengals young DEs were getting pressure all night or are we overreacting to those young DEs getting pressure on QBs in practice?

From the two drives I saw Ogbuehi play, he missed a run block that didn't effect the play and he was beaten on a pass rush that forced McCarron to dump off to Mixon.

One thing that I did notice, this team's depth is amazingly deep. Expect many of the cuts to be playing elsewhere in week one.
    Only users lose drugs

Smith has a great motor. With that said, I'll be more excited about him if I start seeing him do that against the first and second stringers and not against the guy that aren't going to make the team. Now let me make a couple observations.

#1. Ogbuehi played ok, last night but he totally whiffed on a block that cost the Bengals a TFL on a run play. He didn't give up any sacks, but the Bengals didn't exactly run any deep routes last night where Dalton or McCarron had to sit in the pocket very long.

#2. Bodine still isn't very good and the Bengals need him to play great this year to hold a suspect line together. He also whiffed on a block that cost a TFL, and that was against second stringers.

#3. Trey Hopkins played well last night. He just might beat out Andre Smith, or if Ogbuehi struggles you may see Hopkins at LT.

#4. Didn't really hear or see much of Fisher getting beat, but at the same time I don't really remember the Bengals running a lot of plays to his side. Most of the run plays were up the middle, but when it comes to lineman, if you don't hear anything about them it is usually a good sign.

#5. I don't care for Joe Mixon's past but he is definitely a hell of a ball player. That screen play where he broke the initial contact and then made two guys miss was really nice.

#6. Hill seemed last night to play with some motivation. I didn't really see him dancing in the hole as much as usual and maybe most importantly, he was falling forward completing his runs. If Mixon and Hill play this way all the time, and Gio can come back healthy and play as dynamically as they say he is in camp, and maybe mix in Tra Carson to replace Peerman, the Bengals have to be one of the deepest RB squads in the league. With the ability to ALWAYS have a fresh guy in the game that can run and has great hands to take part in the passing game, that's a big deal.

#7. Geno blew up a couple of plays, but other than that the DT including Billings really didn't do squat. I was really hoping to see Billings break out in his first game. That Tupou kid that weighs 350 lbs had a nice play where he beat a double team and helped get in on a tackle close to the end zone was nice. He should be on the practice squad.

#8. The Bengals still after all this years can not cover RBs and TEs. I think Tampa was perfect when throwing to TEs last night. They gave up 66 yards to TEs and Tampa's best TE OJ Howard wasn't even playing. I don't understand how a team can have the same problem year after year after year, and not fix it. I understand Iloka wasn't playing, but I kept seeing Minter and Rey get beat and they are supposed to be good in coverage.

#9. The LBs and Secondary are not wrapping up. They are trying to get big hits and not trying to tackle. The worst was probably Burfict at the beginning of the game on Mike Evans. With as good of a defensive line the Bengals should have this year, the LBs should be protected enough to be able to really make some plays. We'll see.

#10. The secondary played ok, giving up a couple big plays, but the biggest thing is Jones was VERY physical and they for some reason just let them play last night. I'm not sure if the refs will let that go in the regular season, or if it could start adding up penalties. Benwikere and Russell played well last night in the second half, that is going to be tough competition for that last spot, though Russell stood out more on special teams and that could be the difference.

#11. The Bengals have a real kicking competition. It's going to be hard to cut a draft pick though so I see the Bengals keeping Elliot, but I think Bullock definitely gets picked up by another team. I'm just glad the Bengals didn't spend a second round pick on a kicker that can't hit extra points.

#12. Thought I would save this one for last. Dalton looked really good until he pulled his old trick of having a brain fart near the endzone. McCarron looked ok though he was just a tad bit off throwing high, but that could have to do with the linemen being pushed back into his face in the pocket. Driskel was horrible and they should cut him tomorrow.

Ok that last part about Driskel isn't true but "I did that as a test to see how many people read my whole post. Driskel played well for a guy against other players that won't make the team so I'm not going to anoint him the next Steve Young until I see him against stiffer competition. He did have one pass that wasn't even close to the receiver and should have been picked off, but other than that I can't knock him.

Dear god in heaven, I'd rather watch a game with the Mute on than suffer through the goofy lilt of Brad Johansen.

I can see Gilberry and Clarke getting cut. It seems like the third round and fourth round pick DEs aren't happy about their spot in the draft and they want the NFL world to know that.

Still worried about Safety and need another stud LB. Possibly Lawson but he's more or less a DE/Pass rusher. Hopefully Vigil can take hold of the spot and flourish.
    Only users lose drugs

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

Good-- OL played better than expected. They kept Fisher and Ced in the entire first half. Ced started out shaky but played better. Don't know if that was due to playing 2nd stringers later in the half or not. He did whiff on the run block but the pass to Mixon was not a whiff. It looked like it on TV, but Ced did what he was supposed to do. He kept the DL to the outside and forced him to come inside. That allowed McCarron to find Mixon who was helping chip and be the relief valve. Play just looked awkward but was executed as intended. When you never notice the play of a tackle, something good happened, and that was the case with Fisher. No worries at RT for me. RG just got interesting. Trey looked good. Did Andre even play? I don't recall seeing him. I don't have any knocks on Bodine other than one missed block. I never really noticed the play at LG, so it must have been good. I'm a believer in if you don't hear about an OL player, they did their job b/c usually when you hear about on OL player, they either held or gave up a sack. I thought the Bengals OL did well-- especially in the run game.

More good-- All our RBs ran decisive with speed and power. I don't want to jinx anything or sound bombastic, but I saw a lot of Levon Bell in Mixon last night. He's going to be special. Hill ran well. If we can establish a consistent power run game, our outside weapons are going to have a field day. I thought QB play was outstanding. Driskell played very well. McCarron just became a an even more valuable asset if another team loses their starting QB. Mike can stand pat and demand a 1st round pick for him. Best of all, we came out of the game healthy.

The Bad-- I wad not impressed at all with the first team defense. They allowed a 90+yard drive right out of the gate. No pass rush or pressure whatsoever on Winston. Secondary did not cover well. I hope I'm wrong, but the way the first unit played is going to leave us very frustrated. They are going to be one of these bend but don't break defenses. They are going to give up a ton of yards but stiffen in the red-zone. The only positive thing I can say is that we have depth. Then again, it is hard to tell back up talent playing against back up talent. One back up that impressed me was Evans.

The Ugly-- Dalton ruined a stellar first unit drive with a needless pick. Through his first 4 seasons or so, the one thing you could count on with AD was no red-zone turnovers. Since mid 2015, it has become a bit of a problem. Is he taking more risks?

All in all, a good game. We won. We remained healthy. We did some good things, but there is still a lot of work to do. The biggest thing from me was that the OL did play relatively well. I think we can put the doom and gloom behind us for the time being. I'm more positive about this season after last night than I was before the game. This team is a legit contender.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Driskel has a nice pass. I say he sticks as a 3rd QB this year. McCarron will be gone next year and Driskel looks to be better than many second string QB's we have had in recent history.
    I won't comment on others until I see more from them. First game out doesn't tell much of anything other than I like the passes of Driskel. His running isn't bad but I really like his passes.

Having a strong arm is one thing, being able to pass is another. Driskell looked good yesterday. Let's see it again next week.
    Only users lose drugs

It wasn't the strong arm but the way the spiral looked coming out of his hands. Haven't see a throw like that since Kenny. Boomer and Carson had good arms but the ball didn't look the same coming out of their arms. This kid can be coach up with that spiral. Does this mean success? No. But opportunities yes. He may never become a starter somewhere but he will stay in the league.

At this juncture, what you want to see are people making their assignments...and not suddenly looking around saying "am I supposed to be here?" I saw much more of folks being where they were supposed to be--which is good. Next week will be the next level of the overall playbook implemented, so let's see if they keep up.

I shy away from "this guy looked good...that guy looked bad" at this stage...as it could change 180 for both players a week from now.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Driskell looked like a good second string QB. His assignments were simple, but that's what you expect, and simple or not, he didn't make any mistakes. On his runs, I couldn't tell if his "reads" were really reads or predetermined, but his pulls were all correct. On most passing plays you could see him go through two progessions and then tuck. What I liked was that he didn't hurry it or get happy feet. We've been spoiled with McCarron as he's better than a number of starters, but I liked what I saw from Driskell last night. I'm interested to see him with an expanded playbook.

I liked the defensive personnel we had in on Tampa's 2nd and Goal during the opening drive. Lawson came inside. That's not an easy group to run on. That being said, I don't really trust any of our DBs in cover 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    It wasn't the strong arm but the way the spiral looked coming out of his hands. Haven't see a throw like that since Kenny. Boomer and Carson had good arms but the ball didn't look the same coming out of their arms. This kid can be coach up with that spiral. Does this mean success? No. But opportunities yes. He may never become a starter somewhere but he will stay in the league.
    Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm totally on board with you, I just didn't word it properly, ie . . . good weed.
    Only users lose drugs

I know one thing....top to bottom, our WR group might be the deepest most talented in the NFL.

and wait until Ross gets in there......sky's truly the limit for that unit.

I know one thing....top to bottom, our WR group might be the deepest most talented in the NFL.

and wait until Ross gets in there......sky's truly the limit for that unit.
    I love this team. I don't remember feeling as good about so many positional groups. What worries me is the offensive line, because if they play like garbage, our skill players are irrelevant. They looked pretty good yesterday. If they look like that all year, then we will be very strong. I wish Tampa had tested them a bit more - we really didn't see anything tricky- but that's preseason football. About the whiff from our LT and Bodine being bullied, I don't think we would have noticed as much if we weren't looking for it. Like Le Tigre said, we still know nothing yet, but that doesn't mean we can't get excited about what we think we might know along the way.

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm totally on board with you, I just didn't word it properly, ie . . . good weed.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you either. I just love seeing a tight spiral. A tight spiral means a QB has more control of where the ball is going. It isn't only going to the receiver but to the perfect spot for the catch. It take more than just an arm, it takes the smart and patience also. He was quick to run, but maybe that was his best option. Running to much will ruin a QB. a running QB will lose in the end. Fran Tarkington is the only running QB I liked. He ran because he couldn't find the open man. he didn't run to make him look like a better QB.

Russell Wilson reminds me of Tarkenton when he scrambles for time. Steve Young was the only running QB I've ever liked
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Bengal View Post
    ....I don't think we would have noticed as much if we weren't looking for it.
    and that's pretty much the crux of it right there......I'm sure I could go back and find tape of Whit missing blocks last year as well but since he wasn't always under a constant microscope, it's all good.

and that's pretty much the crux of it right there......I'm sure I could go back and find tape of Whit missing blocks last year as well but since he wasn't always under a constant microscope, it's all good.
    Are you just talking preseason? Because Whit generally doesn't give up sacks or screws up period. Thus why he is making the big bucks.

go ahead i doubt youll find whit missing many reg season blocks playing teams top rushers in a game as you will Ced miss blocks playing 1st 2nd and 3rd stringers

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT, I am not saying ced will blow chunks, but based on his history and fri preseason game. he will simply not play as well as whit played last year.
    It just seens to me your trying to make Whit look bad so you wont feel as bad when Ced plays bad. Whit had a very good year last year i will be extremely happy if ced comes even close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker57 View Post
    go ahead i doubt youll find whit missing many reg season blocks playing teams top rushers in a game as you will Ced miss blocks playing 1st 2nd and 3rd stringers

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT, I am not saying ced will blow chunks, but based on his history and fri preseason game. he will simply not play as well as whit played last year.
    It just seens to me your trying to make Whit look bad so you wont feel as bad when Ced plays bad. Whit had a very good year last year i will be extremely happy if ced comes even close to it.
    I agree, and probably the best we can hope for is the OL keeps Dalton alive early on and they show improvement as the season progresses.

Lol I'm not trying to make Whit look bad but no player in the NFL wins every match-up on every snap.

I'm just saying that things might be getting a little overblown with Ced in regards to missed blocks simply because he's being watched so closely.

The running game looked mighty good, so I'm assuming the O-line did a good job Friday night.

Was just reading a Rams news site...and they were blasting every player along the line--other than Whitworth.

Enjoy life in South Central there, Andrew.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

why cant you just admit we took a step backwards at LT
    I have, Spicoli has, I'm pretty sure everyone has, but we've moved on and don't feel the need to mention it in every thread.

You like Whit? You think he's a good LT? Well I think he ####ing sucks compared to Munoz, but we moved on. I was more concerned about LT back when he took over for Levi Jones than I am with Ogbuehi replacing Whitworth. I could be wrong, we'll see. Back then, AW was a clumsy guard moving to tackle and it took him a long time before he was even close to being considered for a 3rd alternate for the probowl. The worst game that I've ever seen by a Bengal at LT, and that list does include Rod Jones and Kevin Sargent, was in 2006, his second year and first year at LT. It was at Indy on a Monday night. Dwight Freeney, who only had 5.5 sacks in all of 2006 despite 16 starts, had three sacks, three forced fumbles(one lost), a couple of passes defensed and about 5 more QB hits/hurries. Another sack/fumble on the last play before the half also came from the left. That told me, "Wow. Even after 13 weeks at LT, he still has a LONG way to go." Well, he got better. If Ogbuehi is a bust, so be it. They'll find out, plug someone else in, maybe move CO to G until his contract is over and then move on.
    Only users lose drugs

really? he had a bad game against the player ranked 18th in career sacks?

according to PFF : whit ended the 2016 season with the league’s best pass-blocking efficiency score (98.0), allowing just 14 total QB pressures across 561 pass-blocking snaps. Whitworth recorded six games this year in which he had perfect pass-protection games.

and i think whit took over for Jones in 2009. if you want to throw in games he slid over for injuries then compare those games to what you got from Ced last year,

maybe if people didnt try to compare Ced to Whit and act like thats why our offensive line will be fine this year i wouldnt call out the BS as being BS. its not about me having to throw out we lost Whit every thread its more just responding to the comparing a far often injured and sub performing player to a pro bowl player and acting like they are close .

Ced will hopefully be ok. but remember its year 3 for him and his 1st TC and preseason games so dont count on him as being a 3rd year player he's more like a 2nd year player that has only shown he has alot of technique and strength issues. he has alot to work on but at least he will have 3-4 preseason games this year to iron them out.

who compared Ced to Whit? wasn't me.

I'm simply saying that if you watch any player close enough (including Whit) you're gonna find mistakes and you're gonna see guys get beat every once in awhile......like I said, no player in the NFL wins every snap of every game.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    Smith was great last night. Hopefully he can keep it up. Between Smith, Lawson, and Willis there is a lot to be excited about on the defensive line. It's only one preseason game, but definitely encouraging to see them getting to the QB.
    If Smith continues to play well, why would we keep MJ and his huge salary? This may be another example of how ML likes to keep veterans well past their useful lives. Hopefully if He gets beat out we cut him and allow younger guys to play.

really? he had a bad game against the player ranked 18th in career sacks?

according to PFF : whit ended the 2016 season with the league’s best pass-blocking efficiency score (98.0), allowing just 14 total QB pressures across 561 pass-blocking snaps. Whitworth recorded six games this year in which he had perfect pass-protection games.

and i think whit took over for Jones in 2009. if you want to throw in games he slid over for injuries then compare those games to what you got from Ced last year,

maybe if people didnt try to compare Ced to Whit and act like thats why our offensive line will be fine this year i wouldnt call out the BS as being BS. its not about me having to throw out we lost Whit every thread its more just responding to the comparing a far often injured and sub performing player to a pro bowl player and acting like they are close .

Ced will hopefully be ok. but remember its year 3 for him and his 1st TC and preseason games so dont count on him as being a 3rd year player he's more like a 2nd year player that has only shown he has alot of technique and strength issues. he has alot to work on but at least he will have 3-4 preseason games this year to iron them out.

I believe what they are saying is it takes time to become a pro bowler unless you are Munoz. It hurts your game when you take a year off from football (injury). It takes time when the position you are drafted for is fill with a pro bowler. Whitworth never became a pro bowler until 2012 6 years after being drafted and has never been the first choice. He has always been an alternate. I say you have to give Ced a year to see what he can do. He is working with basically a new line.
    Everyone needs to get off the panic button. You have a young Oline that will only get better. And with so much talent around them they can be adjusted to allow the D line move them to open up other options. Screens and Draws.
    Last edited by Super Cat; 08-14-2017 at 12:22 PM.