Thread: Pre-Season Game #2 Kansas City vs Bengals

Pre-Season Game #2 Kansas City vs Bengals

Time to stop dissecting every microbe of the first glorified practice game...now it's on to the next one.

Dissect away.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

NFL Network replays on Monday at 10:00 am and Thursday morning at 4:00 am. It will be awhile until I get to view meaningless game #2.
    Only users lose drugs

will Ross play in this one?
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    will Ross play in this one?
    Indications are that the answer to your question is no.

“I just want to take everything slowly, I don’t want to rush everything. I don’t think it’s imperative for me to come back right now and play Saturday. It’s important for me to be ready for Week 1.”
    https://stripehype.com/2017/08/15/de...defense-rules/

After offseason shoulder surgery, Ross will probably be shelved until the opener against Baltimore.
    https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/08/...bengals-watch/

I think we may see Ross in pre-season game 3. If not, it won't be until the opener.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

yeah surely he'll play at some point in the pre-season, hard to believe that he won't now that he's been 100% cleared.

yeah surely he'll play at some point in the pre-season, hard to believe that he won't now that he's been 100% cleared.
    As long as he's getting a lot of practice reps with Dalton, I'm happy to have him sit until the opener.

I know typically you want to get rookies into as many games as possible in preseason, but I like that Baltimore wont have any film on him. Obviously they know who he is, but I guarantee he burns at least one corner deep if that's his first action. The bigger question is can Dalton hit him.

Man I know this team historically struggles against the TE's but holy cow sometimes you've just gotta give it up to the other guys.....perfect execution on both big TE throws.

Williams done,....I'm hoping Fejerdsomething takes that job, I really like that kid a lot.....be nice to see what Wilson can do though.

Vigil playing his ass off

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Mediocre Marv is still a game management idiot! Time out left and let's clock go down to 3 seconds when could have called earlier to get a shot in EZ. Nothing changes, another year.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

probably not a bad idea to give those kickers as many "clutch" opportunities as possible though...

Guenther better step up and step up fast. The lack of tackling basics in the game tonight has been atrocious. If the defense can not perform a basic principle of the game, this is going to be a VERY long year.

Chris Smith and Vigil looked great. Goodbye Eric Winston you couldn't stop anyone. Hopkins is looking better than Zeitler so far. And Ogbuehi did his job. Suddenly I'm not so worried about the OLine. Fisher did have a miss but looked solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Chris Smith and Vigil looked great. Goodbye Eric Winston you couldn't stop anyone. Hopkins is looking better than Zeitler so far. And Ogbuehi did his job. Suddenly I'm not so worried about the OLine. Fisher did have a miss but looked solid.
    Andre Smith got pushed back tonight like crazy. You would think power would be his strong suit.

i'll admit the OLine looked better then the defense does.

The Bengals looked like they didn't give a ... about this game. Other than the kickers, there weren't too many stars to talk about. What I can mention is how many looked awful.

Andre Smith ain't makin' this team. Given the lack of talent on the O line that's saying something. He's out of shape and doesn't look like he cares. He's like "well, if you want to give me one more yr, fine..but if not, that's fine too. I've made my bucks in this league."

Will Clarke...can't seem to tackle the QB and trips over his own feet. Reminds me of what I saw last summer from Margus Hunt. Doesn't know what to do once he gets to the ball carrier

Russell Bodine...with all the talk of losing two linemen last yr, it sure looks like Bodine is the weak link on that line.

This was one of those games you delete from your DVR as soon as you watch it and you thank yours lucky stars that the season doesn't start for another 3 wks.

Just like I said in the Tampa game thread: with these glorified practices, don't keep saying "this guy/that guy is great/sucks" because things change 180 each week.

Concern oneself more with assignments--are they where they are supposed to,be?
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This was one of those games you delete from your DVR as soon as you watch it and you thank yours lucky stars that the season doesn't start for another 3 wks.

exactly......just be glad no one got hurt.

exactly......just be glad no one got hurt.
    Except Williams
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Vigil playing his ass off
    One of the few bright spots of the game.

It is not good for players fighting for jobs lacking passion and being technique lazy. We have had too many egg laying games in the Marvin time span.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    One of the few bright spots of the game.
    Chris Smith looked pretty much unblockable again as well..

Chris Smith looked pretty much unblockable again as well..
    Looks like a great Pick up and it should spell the end for MJ - can't keep him and his salary and then cut a promising young guy.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Looks like a great Pick up and it should spell the end for MJ - can't keep him and his salary and then cut a promising young guy.
    Marvin Lewis: "Hold my beer and watch this"

MFB wants $$$ not wins! TigerJ@w's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    NFL Network replays on Monday at 10:00 am and Thursday morning at 4:00 am. It will be awhile until I get to view meaningless game #2.
    Don't waste your time.
    "We started with a very low standard, so we have nowhere to go but up," offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. So you set your standards as low? WOW!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.

I glanced (only for a moment--the sight of that place brings nauseous rancor to my system) at a bit of the Mule/Stealer game this evening. While it was a bit of fleeting fun to watch those bastards getting punched around like piñatas...one comes to the usual conclusion that this is still a glorified scrimmage, and that even in the unreality that is the regular NFL, the preseason is even more unreal.
    Last edited by Le Tigre; 08-21-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    Except Williams
    that's one I'm actually ok with, I like the guys behind him a little better personally...

that's one I'm actually ok with, I like the guys behind him a little better personally...
    He's the reason I wanted Hooker from OSU instead of Ross at #9. It took me a day to accept it and I'm all on team Ross now but my only complaint of the 2017 draft was no real threat at Safety, Wilson is a speed guy that played some safety. Williams was a major downgrade to Reggie Nelson last season. Fejedelem should take full advantage of these extra snaps and hopefully earn a starters spot
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    Fejedelem should take full advantage of these extra snaps and hopefully earn a starters spot

either one of Fejedelem or Derron Smith in a full-time role and I'll feel like we've upgraded long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cat View Post
    Fisher was getting beat repeatedly. Dalton saved his own ass a few times. O-line looked mediocre against a good team.

I kinda figured this game would be a dud. Not going to bother watching after reading all the post-mordems. From what I've read, the OL looked competent against a good K.C. front. I'm no longer as concerned about the tackles. Seems like Hopkins has earned the RG spot. If only we had a center. My biggest concern is one that has always been a pet peeve of mine other than when Hue was OC. This team can't finish drives with TDs. This was a problem with Brat, Gruden and now Zampese. So sick of drives not resulting in TDs. On defense, the loss of Williams is going to hurt if out a long time. Seems like their is hope he will be back for Green Bay. That would be good when facing Rodgers. At least we get a break in weeks 1 and 2. Baltimore and Houston are not offensive powerhouses. Which of course means, Marvin will play his typical conservative game plan and not take risks.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Columbus (Stuck in a houseful of Browns fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Guenther better step up and step up fast. The lack of tackling basics in the game tonight has been atrocious. If the defense can not perform a basic principle of the game, this is going to be a VERY long year.
    Ding, ding, ding!! This team hasn't tackled in years.

As for the offense not finishing drives, let's just hope that once Eifert is back in there that will change.
    "She's a Browns fan. She doesn't know anything about the playoffs." Chuck Todd referring to Kelly O'Donnell on "Meet the Press"

"The Browns are so low in national esteem that they troll the football equivalent of the thermal vents at the bottom of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific. This is the deepest point on the surface of the earth. Strange creatures live there and also in Berea." Bill Livingston-The Plain Dealer

Well maybe the ass wuppin' the Bengals took from the Chiefs was deserved because they just pounded the Patriots 42-27 with THREE 90 yard drives, they only had one all of last year. Alex Smith was awesome as the Chiefs ran up 537 yards, most yards and most points ever against a Bill Belichik coached team. Twice they stopped the Patriots on 4th and 1 and Brady was less than 50% passing. Chiefs are for real. I'm glad Cincinnati doesn't play them.
    Only users lose drugs

Chiefs really used their FAST and EXPLOSIVE weapons - hello Bengals you must be aggressive and do the same.