Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Burfict Facing ANOTHER Suspension

Burfict Facing ANOTHER Suspension

Apparently during the Kansas City game he had an illegal hit on the FB which I didn't notice nor did I hear anything about. Now ESPN is saying he is appealing a 5 game suspension. The NFL is really out to get him. They want to fu ck the Bengals any chance they get.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-illegal-hit

Fu ck Goodell. He has taken this suspension thing over the top with Zeke Elliot and now Burfict. I would support a player strike if it meant weakening Goodell's power.
    Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

Has anyone actually seen this hit? I have yet to see a video of it anywhere.

I just saw it on NFL Network. Deep pass down the field, FB coming out of the backfield looking back for a possible dumpoff, Burfict launches himself at him in a play that would have been normal football ten years ago. Apparently, ML and brass have sent a letter/appeal to the NFL office saying that Burfict hit him in the shoulder with his shoulder or something like that. I was cleaning up vinyl rips at the time and it was on in the background after the Bengals/Redskins replay so I didn't catch the whole report. Basically a play the might merit a possible one game suspension but since Burfict has a history, Five games.

I see four games, maybe down to three after appeals.

It happens but his style of football needs to change or he'll be out of the league.
    Only users lose drugs

It was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It shouldn't be a penalty.

how the hell do you suspend a guy for a hit in the PREseason? is preseason not PRACTICE?

NFL is an absolute JOKE!!
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It shouldn't be a penalty.
    It was after the ball was thrown and he launched himself at him up high. It's asking for a penalty or fine.
    Only users lose drugs

borderline hit that burflict has to be careful of. if he was a stooler he'd get an award for it , since he's a bengal its a suspension.

nice to see the Team put a statement backing him immediately out rather then play the good quiet yes men of the past though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    It was after the ball was thrown and he launched himself at him up high. It's asking for a penalty or fine.
    First he didn't launch himself into him. He simply gave him a shoulder. Second it was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage which is within the chuck zone for receivers... the guy he hit said it was a legal hit, and lastly there was no flag on the play.

First he didn't launch himself into him. He simply gave him a shoulder. Second it was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage which is within the chuck zone for receivers... the guy he hit said it was a legal hit, and lastly there was no flag on the play.
    Flag or no flag, it doesn't matter, according to the NFL Bengal players are not allowed to tackle hard, only steelers and ravens, and broncos and pretty much any other team in the league.

The play was totally legal. I don't see how the hell the NFL can suspend someone for a play that didn't garner a flag. To claim the guy was defenseless is ABSURD. The tape is vague to see. You can't suspend a player based on inadequate evidence. Goodell must go and along with it the panziness the NFL has become.

the refs dont see everything so whether there was a flag doesnt matter, we've seen a few hits on qbs etc that didnt result in a fine due to the fact it wasnt grievious or shouldnt been a flag.. they miss stuff. so i am ok with this. its the slow motion over scrutinization of plays and then deciding the intent of a player making split decisions at real time.

you can not expect a player that has the responsibility of back coverage, he has to watch the back ( is he blocking , delay route, delayed pitch etc.) not the qb ... def players that watch qbs while in coverage get burnt. if the rb was within the 5yd area, hit in a legal area (shoulder) with a legal area ( shoulder pad). this is only a issue cause its burflict (bad rap - mostly deserved) and its the bengals( never stand up in public against the NFL )

it was a legal play.....any receiver running a crossing route is allowed to be chucked by a defender as long as it's within the 5 yards allowed, which it clearly was.......no hit to the head, no leading with the helmet, no complaints from the receiver that got hit, no complaints from the opposing coaches, no flag thrown by the referees, etc......this was CLEARLY a BS call by the league office in their attempt to "clean up" the game by targeting a player that they deem to be "dirty"......it's complete bullshit and the Bengals have every right to be fuming mad since the league just took away their best defensive player for no REAL reason whatsoever.....complete and utter bullshit!.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ame-suspension
    If you go to the latest NFL.com story about it, They have a clip of the Rich Eisen interview the the VP of officials and he says that there is a new "defenseless receiver" rule that's in effect this season.

It also has this Ian Rapoport tweet
    Vontaze Burfict’s suspension is based on…1: Him hitting with his shoulder & helmet to Anthony Sherman’s head & neck area. 2: Repeat offender

First: You can see both feet in the air = Translation - launched. That's an NFL office term
    Second: The ball was in the air = doesn't matter if he's within 5 yards. If the ball is tipped, different story
    Third: Like you and me, Sherman is not a referee
    Lastly: Refs miss penalties all of time. Elliot had the charges dropped, 6 games for not going to jail
    Only users lose drugs

and now espn has a story up saying maybe the hit was legal.

appeal results will probaly be since hit was legal they will lower susp to 1 game due to past record......

Perhaps it's worthy of a 15 yard penalty. That's a judgment call. But what makes it worthy of a 5 game suspension? Since when do players get 5 game suspensions for penalties on a football field? He wasn't going for the head nor did he injure the player so what makes this a huge suspension?

Burfict cannot play football if he's going to get a 5 or more game suspension everytime he gets flagged (or not flagged as is the case here) for a personal foul. Sorry but that's just BS. I'd say that about any player, Ryan Shazier included. You can't suspend guys for things that happen in a split second on a football field. For all of Burfict's issues he's never had an issue off the field

If that was a "launch"...he should apply for an advisory chair on Kim Jong Un's missle system development programs. Neither get off the ground. And, much like the Antonio Flop, he is moving at full speed with another guy who is moving full speed. So much for this corrupt league's interpretation of a "supine/defenseless" player.

They say this is a "new rule", but it looks curiously like an application of the post-Stealer abomination where they initiated a rule due to the Shazier assassination of Gio. But, because it's the NFL, rules are made/formed/created in vacuums and are rarely enforced (unless it is to show their "integrity").

What a farce of a league.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

I would take the commissioner out of these decisions. This should be done by a small committee with an NFL representative, an NFLPA representative and a representative for the officials. Maybe expand it to five reps with each team getting their say. They're hurting one player to "protect" another player.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
    If that was a "launch"...he should apply for an advisory chair on Kim Jong Un's missle system development programs. Neither get off the ground. And, much like the Antonio Flop, he is moving at full speed with another guy who is moving full speed. So much for this corrupt league's interpretation of a "supine/defenseless" player.

They say this is a "new rule", but it looks curiously like an application of the post-Stealer abomination where they initiated a rule due to the Shazier assassination of Gio. But, because it's the NFL, rules are made/formed/created in vacuums and are rarely enforced (unless it is to show their "integrity").

What a farce of a league.
    That is kind of so sad you have to laugh. The Bengals get penalized by the league for a penalty that was made because of a blown call in a playoff game that happened TO THEM. I mean guys in the NFL front office have to be writing this sh it like they are making an episode of SNL right?

The way the NFL is handling Burfict they're making him play like he has 4 fouls in college basketball for the entire game. It sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Perhaps it's worthy of a 15 yard penalty. That's a judgment call. But what makes it worthy of a 5 game suspension? Since when do players get 5 game suspensions for penalties on a football field? He wasn't going for the head nor did he injure the player so what makes this a huge suspension?
    I definitely don't get what makes this hit worthy of a five game suspension, regardless of Burfict's past history. He didn't lead with the crown of the helmet. While I don't know that I'd say Burfict "launched" himself into Sherman, he did lean in to deliver an unnecessarily hard blow. His helmet and/or shoulder may have contacted Sherman's helmet (hard to tell for sure), but it was certainly not a head-hunting hit...the force of the hit was to the shoulder. I'm not sure whether the five-yard rule applies in this situation.

I can understand a one game suspension. Given Burfict's history, I could see how two games could be justified...maybe even three. But five? For a hit during the preseason that would have unquestionably have been legal last season? Give me a break!

The NFL gets itself in trouble once again with a new rule that is more confusing to interpret then it is intended to take out of the game. AT WORST, there should be zero suspension and the league should use the video to show refs and players how the rule works
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by TD Bengals View Post
    I definitely don't get what makes this hit worthy of a five game suspension, regardless of Burfict's past history. He didn't lead with the crown of the helmet. While I don't know that I'd say Burfict "launched" himself into Sherman, he did lean in to deliver an unnecessarily hard blow. His helmet and/or shoulder may have contacted Sherman's helmet (hard to tell for sure), but it was certainly not a head-hunting hit...the force of the hit was to the shoulder. I'm not sure whether the five-yard rule applies in this situation.

I can understand a one game suspension. Given Burfict's history, I could see how two games could be justified...maybe even three. But five? For a hit during the preseason that would have unquestionably have been legal last season? Give me a break!
    There's really 2 different issues here.

Is this a 15 yard penalty? IMO the answer's no but I think the NFL has turned its uniforms in for a bunch of skirts. The game isn't nearly as fun as it once was. But I have an open mind and I'm fine if the officials on the field called this an unnecessary roughness. This is not like the Mike Carey call on Justin Smith where it was just 100% egregious. I'm fine with either call here.

Is it a suspendable offense and if so, how many games?

This is the provocative question. Since it's borderline and a new rule that even the Refs are trying to get their head around, I say no to a suspension. If once must happen, one game tops. A 5 gamer for this is crap

i seriously think the 5 game suspension was done for 2 reasons. 1 to grab headlines . and 2 so they could do him a favor and reduce it to 1 game. if they started out with 1 or 2 i expect it would get dropped on appeal. i say legal hit within the rules, but i believe the league ( commish) hears the appeal of his own ruling.

The whole idea of "defenseless receiver" is crap, especially if he's running a route.

Just like William Munny said in "Unforgiven":. "He should have armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend", any receiver running a route should expect to "defend himself".

https://youtu.be/PXxOcNYBE20

Defenseless player is utterly ridiculous. You are running across the middle of the field. EXPECT to get hit. This is football. The is NOTHING defenseless about running across the middle. You intended to do that. Live with the consequences. Give me real football-- not this panzy crap we have now.

The NFL has full control over most matters of player discipline. The NFL does not have full control over the discipline issued for on-field misconduct.

In such cases, one of two hearing officers jointly appointed and compensated by the NFL handles the case. The two options are Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks and former NFL receiver James Thrash.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Thrash will handle the Burfict appeal.

The threshold question, before assessing whether Burfict should be suspended five games under the concept of progressive discipline, will be whether the hit on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman was illegal. Arguably, it wasn’t.

Since Brooks played linebacker and Thrash played receiver, some may say Brooks would be more likely to side with Burfict and Thrash would be more likely to go the other way. Regardless, Thrash will be making the final decision, and if he thinks the hit wasn’t a violation of the rules, Burfict won’t be punished at all.

IF this suspension gets upheld, there is simply no sense in signing Burfict long term?

Wow. Really? That would have been applauded as restrained and effective in the 70s. Hell. The 90s. 10 years ago.
    Wtf is he supposed to do different? That would be my question.
    Dona eis Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    IF this suspension gets upheld, there is simply no sense in signing Burfict long term?
    Yeah I would agree with that

Burfict is an aggressive player who plays right on the edge. A perfect player 10 or 15 years ago (or last week if he was a Steeler). But these days, we can all whine about the game being soft but the fact is - it is and getting softer. This is a new rule so there should be some time to get the players onside with it, they have many years of instinctive play build into them. That to me is a major issue with these new rules - they expect 100% compliance instantly but these guys have muscle memory that allows them to play at an elite level - this cannot be simply turned on and off.

If Burfict is suspended, he and the Bengals should defy the league and play anyway. I'm so PISSED off at the NFL. Nobody dares say anything negative about the reprehensible behavior of Kaepernick. He's given a pass for trashing the flag, our government and our police officer. He's trash, but won't be suspended. Burfict is Dick Butkus. A football player's player. Screw the NFL and their coddling ways. Just put damn flags on them and put them in skirts. So sick of this emphasis on player safety!

Why? Whether the corrupt NFL "upholds" the suspension is immaterial--you don't want to keep your best defensive player? That is just plain silly.

We aren't talking about Josh Gordon...or even Adam Jones...in view of suspension terms--we are talking about a hard-nose/balls-out/on-the-field PLAYER.

Again, just silly talk.
    "This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Why? Whether the corrupt NFL "upholds" the suspension is immaterial--you don't want to keep your best defensive player? That is just plain silly.

We aren't talking about Josh Gordon...or even Adam Jones...in view of suspension terms--we are talking about a hard-nose/balls-out/on-the-field PLAYER.

Again, just silly talk.
    I think it's a reasonable discussion. He's tremendously physically and football sense talented. He's tremendously incapable of seeing the bigger picture ( WIN ) and contain his rage within the boundaries of what the NFL will allow.

As for "Best Defensive Player", he's not a player at all when he's not even allowed on the sideline during games. That matters and feeds into the calculus of "best". Note that two of our most impactful DEF players are barely and not always able to avoid emotional discipline type penalties.

Again, just silly talk.
    well he's at five games now for some BS preseason hit so they obviously have it in for him...how long before they suspend him for a year, one more subjective, "unnecessary" hit?

after that then what, one more hit and he's gone for life?

yes they have that kind of power.
    Last edited by spicoli; 08-29-2017 at 08:05 PM.

sign him he doesnt count to wards the cap/roster while suspended, just keep the signing bonus decent and the base at mininum (so the league can get much) with incentives easily attainable if he plays for 12-14 weeks to make the overall good for a player of his talent. with play off bonuses if he isnt suspended

Quote Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
    I think it's a reasonable discussion. He's tremendously physically and football sense talented. He's tremendously incapable of seeing the bigger picture ( WIN ) and contain his rage within the boundaries of what the NFL will allow.

As for "Best Defensive Player", he's not a player at all when he's not even allowed on the sideline during games. That matters and feeds into the calculus of "best". Note that two of our most impactful DEF players are barely and not always able to avoid emotional discipline type penalties.
    Supposedly he only had one personal foul penalty all of last year. Seems to me he's controlling his rage just fine. Seeing as how closely they're watching him, to have but one PF is really quite remarkable

Burfict is the best "half season" linebacker in the NFL

They need another good "half season" LB to replace him yearly.

Burfict is an aggressive player who plays right on the edge. A perfect player 10 or 15 years ago (or last week if he was a Steeler). But these days, we can all whine about the game being soft but the fact is - it is and getting softer. This is a new rule so there should be some time to get the players onside with it, they have many years of instinctive play build into them. That to me is a major issue with these new rules - they expect 100% compliance instantly but these guys have muscle memory that allows them to play at an elite level - this cannot be simply turned on and off.
    So what does the league want him to do different? I thought one of the aims in the secondary is to separate the player from the ball?
    I guess well just start throwing basketball rules in there. Blocks and charges. All position..
    Dona eis Requiem

Quote Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post

What? He wasn't even FLAGGED on the stupid play. He was exactly where he was supposed to be, defensive position-wise. I just saw an analysis of that play along with an identical pass defense situation this past Sunday. This time, the FB catches the pass, Vontaze is right there for the SAME TACKLE.

Don't you go eating up this fake news blitz...you are too damn smart for that.