Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cuts/Sign/Re-Sign Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    From Hobson.
    The Bengals felt pretty good about the two players they signed from Arizona to fill out their practice squad, particularly guard-center Cole Toner, a second-year player. The Bengals lost rookie guard-center J.J. Dielman, a fifth-round pick, to waivers on Sunday, but in the 6-7, 300-pound Toner they get a 2016 fifth-rounder who has already played in two NFL games. And they’ve tracked Toner since he was at Harvard and gave him high grades for, naturally, brains …

They were hoping to squad cornerback Tony McRae, but when he signed with the Ravens practice squad the Bengals responded with a guy they pondered late in this year’s draft, the undrafted Sojourn Shelton. The 5-9, 168-pounder out of Wisconsin played in three pre-season games and recorded five tackles.

Also in the same article . . .
    The defensive line has gone through some numbers changes. Rookie end Jordan Willis traded No. 99 to second-year nose tackle Andrew Billings for No. 75 and that’s what they’ll be wearing when they get their first NFL snaps Sunday. Rookie tackle Ryan Glasgow handed in No. 67 for more of a D-line number and got Brandon Thompson’s No. 98 …
    I liked Willis in 99 more. The Bengals used to have a good DE that wore that number... Jason Buck.

God, does that bring back some bad memories. Lots and lots of effort but the D-line of Buck - Krumrie - Skow/McClendon was so undersized that by the end of the 3rd quarter, they were all spent and got run over. The only thing that kept it from being a complete disaster was Fulcher's ability to play the extra LB role and more or less making it a front 8.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    How about my favorite line . . . "you can't really grade these drafts until three or four years down the line" . . . and then spend the next 15 weeks of draft coverage NOT spending any time grading the drafts from three or four years ago.
    Yep...the next draft I see graded 3 or 4 years after it happens will be my first. I'm sure there's a couple out there somewhere but I've never seen one.