Thread: Jim Haslett

Jim Haslett

will be our next long term mediocre head coach....the writing is pretty much on the wall.

Marvin finishes out the year and then walks, and then Mikey simply slips old school Jim Haslett right into his place where he'll be allowed to hover around the .500 mark for the next 10-15 years or so.

anybody care to bet against it?
    potential targets for Bengals #1 overall pick in 2018:
    QB's- Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolf
    OT's- Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey

Sounds plausible. The ONLY chance of getting off this hamster wheel is when Mikey walks away or is taken away from the operations completely. Even then, we have no idea if Katie has the desire to actually want to have an elite organization.

The handling of the OL this off season was a perfect example of Mike Brown in action. It was already a weak spot so might as well make it weaker. Example - if you don't value guards as much as tackles, why draft one in the 1st round if you have no intention of re-signing him after his initial deal?

ML lost this team last year and unfortunately it looks like he can't get it back. If we lose Thursday, we can start talking about the 2018 draft, just like the 'good' old days.

This team missed a huge opportunity when they should have fired ML and hired Zimmer. At least he held players and coaches accountable.
    Marvin Lewis - the Clapping Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post

This team missed a huge opportunity when they should have fired ML and hired Zimmer. At least he held players and coaches accountable.
    Vance Joseph would have been my personal choice but either one of Zimmer or Jackson would have worked as well.

Agreed. Any of those guys bring a certain level of intensity that we need.

"This game isn't worth it. The National Football League isn't worth it. There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done out there besides worryin' about a friggin' football game."----The prophet Sam Wyche

Quote Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
    The handling of the OL this off season was a perfect example of Mike Brown in action. It was already a weak spot so might as well make it weaker. Example - if you don't value guards as much as tackles, why draft one in the 1st round if you have no intention of re-signing him after his initial deal?
    I seriously doubt that MB had no intention of re-signing Zeitler
    From wikipedia
    Cincinnati Bengals
    In his rookie season, Zeitler started all 16 games at right guard for the Bengals. He gave up only four sacks all season, and graded highest among Bengals linemen.

Cleveland Browns
    In 2017 Kevin Zeitler signed a five-year, $60 million contract with the Cleveland Browns, making him the highest paid guard in the NFL.
    Isn't there a lot missing in there between 'Started 16 games as a rookie' and "highest paid guard in the NFL"? Y'know, stuff like Pro Bowls and/or All-Pro? What do you see in Zeitler that merits a contract like that? IMO, Zeitler is average at best and did not deserve the contract that he got. I'm not much on defending Mike Brown, but I completely agreed with letting KZ walk without matching.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Pre_hungover View Post
    From wikipedia

Isn't there a lot missing in there between 'Started 16 games as a rookie' and "highest paid guard in the NFL"? Y'know, stuff like Pro Bowls and/or All-Pro? What do you see in Zeitler that merits a contract like that? IMO, Zeitler is average at best and did not deserve the contract that he got. I'm not much on defending Mike Brown, but I completely agreed with letting KZ walk without matching.
    I'm not interested in popularity contests as much as it sounded like he graded out to be our best lineman. No sir, the FO doesn't get a pass from me re. the apparent quandry our OL finds itself in.

One huge probelm: Maybe we shouldn't draft freakin projects IN THE FIRST ROUND!

Awesome. My belly feels much better.
    Dona eis Requiem

From wikipedia

I don't disagree, however you also have to add the context. If we were expecting to lose Zeitler it was critical that we re-sign Whit. It was also critical to properly evaluate Fisher and Ogbuehi, neither seem ready for full time play. One of this teams faults is not playing good young drafted players enough while holding on to draft busts too long (like Margus Hunt). I have NO issue with our drafting, I think it is near the top of the league but that does not mean all draft picks need to stick around or get played 'just because we drafted them'. One of the reasons the Pats are constantly bringing players in through every means is they simply look to get better. Going into this season with both tackles untested, 1 new guard and the center still sucking was a recipe for failure. To think otherwise was just wishful thinking. At best, IMO, the OL could have looked to become at least acceptable by year end which means a lost season in some regards.

Yes, the problem here is losing Whit. Not Zeitler. Only teams as bad as the Browns can afford to give that kind of jack to a guard. We should have extended Whit long before he hit free agency

Quote Originally Posted by SladeX View Post
    I'm not interested in popularity contests as much as it sounded like he graded out to be our best lineman.
    Yes.
    Our best lineman.
    His rookie year six years ago.
    He's a lot like Steinbach . . . they were both great as rookies and barely average after that.

You may want to pay top dollar for an average player and call that addressing needs on the o-line. Sorry, but I think that's stupid.
    In the eight games the Bengals played without him in 2013 and 2014 5 wins, 2 losses and the 37-37 tie with Carolina.
    5 wins
    41 points
    17 points
    42 points
    33 points
    33 points
    2 losses without Zeitler could have easily been losses with him there.
    20 points @ Pitt
    17 points @ NE
    1 tie
    37 point
    ------------------------------
    240 total points in 8 games = 30 points per game when Zeitler is out as a Bengal. The '88 Bengals scored a franchise high 448 points, 28 points per game.
    The last two seasons when he didn't miss a game? 26 points per game in 2015 and 20 points per game in 2016. I can see why the Bengals refused to make him the highest paid guard in the NFL. Cleveland is where they are talent-wise because of poor decisions like that.
    Only users lose drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes, the problem here is losing Whit. Not Zeitler. Only teams as bad as the Browns can afford to give that kind of jack to a guard. We should have extended Whit long before he hit free agency
    ding ding we have a winner.

Yes.
    Our best lineman.
    His rookie year six years ago.
    He's a lot like Steinbach . . . they were both great as rookies and barely average after that.

You may want to pay top dollar for an average player and call that addressing needs on the o-line. Sorry, but I think that's stupid.
    In the eight games the Bengals played without him in 2013 and 2014 5 wins, 2 losses and the 37-37 tie with Carolina.
    5 wins
    41 points
    17 points
    42 points
    33 points
    33 points
    2 losses without Zeitler could have easily been losses with him there.
    20 points @ Pitt
    17 points @ NE
    1 tie
    37 point
    ------------------------------
    240 total points in 8 games = 30 points per game when Zeitler is out as a Bengal. The '88 Bengals scored a franchise high 448 points, 28 points per game.
    The last two seasons when he didn't miss a game? 26 points per game in 2015 and 20 points per game in 2016. I can see why the Bengals refused to make him the highest paid guard in the NFL. Cleveland is where they are talent-wise because of poor decisions like that.
    and whats the total points w./o whitworth ....so far 0

regardless of how it went down with Whit/Zeit the bottom line is, MB put his trust in Paul Alexander to replace those guys by giving him first and second round picks to work with and the dude completely blew it....not to mention the whole ####ing Bodine disaster.

I'd love to see Marvin get shit canned but we all know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.....why not show at least a little backbone though and kick Alexander to the curb? the guy clearly needs to go and should probably be first in line to the chopping block if we're being honest here.

I know, I know....go smoke some more dope Spicoli

because P alex is the asst head coach and most likely when ML does leave he'll be handed the job

I would say Guenther would be promoted to head coach over Haslett.

I would have rather re-signed Whitworth instead of Zeitler or Dre Kirkpatrick. We have Dennard, Jackson, Shaw, Russell, and Jones. We could have signed someone for defensive back depth.

We also basically gave our two fifth round picks away to the Eagles and Rams for nothing. Tobin is good, not as good as the pundits say though. He whiffed on the 2015 draft, it's a total bust except for Josh Shaw.

Tobin is good but if you look at the Steelers and Pats you will see they have whiffed on many high picks and entire drafts yet they still win. We only win IF we nail drafts. they win regardless. Because good drafting is only 1 piece of the puzzle.